Jake Arrieta goes all Jen Royle on twitter. Is this why he fails? Little self control?

Gurgi

It's funny....when he first came up I loved his post-game comments because he was very critical of himself and sounded like he demanded much better of himself. I like to hear someone so young have such high expectations of themselves. In the years since, it's become apparent that these expectations/demands of perfection are actually a massive obstacle. He reminds me of lot of a colleague who I've watched similarly struggle for 20 years as his own worst enemy. It's basically the mindset that if things aren't going 100% perfectly, everything it's completely screwed up or destined for failure. It's an unraveling that sometimes takes a few weeks, sometimes an instant. In his case he managed to make peace with his issues by becoming resigned to them. It's a lousy solution because it's held him back his whole career and now means he thinks he's an incurable *******, only made better by being openly aware and joking about his inner demons. My description of him 10 years ago was "chronically and debilitatingly unsatisfied". It continues to be a perfect description.

I'm not sure if his twitter interactions say anything that connect to his struggles on the mound. Maybe a maturity link. What I do believe is that it is as hard if not harder to overcome such a mental hurdle as is a physical injury, once it has been exposed for all to see. Jake has great stuff. He just dominated in his AAA start. He can dominate in the majors. But when he comes unraveled, it happens quickly and multiplies upon itself. And it's usually a control issue. When he does get hit hard it's because he's behind in the count and either grooves one or the hitter is sitting on something. The jump in talent between AAA and the majors is wild......this one issue (mental approach) is easily enough to separate Arrieta from AAA greatness and ML wash-out.

Hopefully he can work through this. If a sports psychologist or traditional psychologist helps, great. My observation of these kinds of issues is that they aren't quarantined to one aspect of a persons life. It permeates through everything. But as it relates to pitching.... While you have a lifetime to better your experience of life, you only have so many years with a mid-90's fastball and a sharp biting curve. If it is stubbornness that is preventing him from fixing a mental hurdle, then he'll always regret not seeking help with his in-game mindset. The great "stuff" doesn't last.

From his interviews, I've always liked Jake. I still think he can be great, not just good. I was good friends with my colleague until I had to effectively sever the friendship because he was poison for my career. He's a great guy.....who could never corral his temperament. I hope that's not the end result with Jake. Sorry for my over-reaching diagnosis.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's funny....when he first came up I loved his post-game comments because he was very critical of himself and sounded like he demanded much better of himself. I like to hear someone so young have such high expectations of themselves. In the years since, it's become apparent that these expectations/demands of perfection are actually a massive obstacle. He reminds me of lot of a colleague who I've watched similarly struggle for 20 years as his own worst enemy. It's basically the mindset that if things aren't going 100% perfectly, everything it's completely screwed up or destined for failure. It's an unraveling that sometimes takes a few weeks, sometimes an instant. In his case he managed to make peace with his issues by becoming resigned to them. It's a lousy solution because it's held him back his whole career and now means he thinks he's an incurable *******, only made better by being openly aware and joking about his inner demons. My description of him 10 years ago was "chronically and debilitatingly unsatisfied". It continues to be a perfect description.

I'm not sure if his twitter interactions say anything that connect to his struggles on the mound. Maybe a maturity link. What I do believe is that it is as hard if not harder to overcome such a mental hurdle as is a physical injury, once it has been exposed for all to see. Jake has great stuff. He just dominated in his AAA start. He can dominate in the majors. But when he comes unraveled, it happens quickly and multiplies upon itself. And it's usually a control issue. When he does get hit hard it's because he's behind in the count and either grooves one or the hitter is sitting on something. The jump in talent between AAA and the majors is wild......this one issue (mental approach) is easily enough to separate Arrieta from AAA greatness and ML wash-out.

Hopefully he can work through this. If a sports psychologist or traditional psychologist helps, great. My observation of these kinds of issues is that they aren't quarantined to one aspect of a persons life. It permeates through everything. But as it relates to pitching.... While you have a lifetime to better your experience of life, you only have so many years with a mid-90's fastball and a sharp biting curve. If it is stubbornness that is preventing him from fixing a mental hurdle, then he'll always regret not seeking help with his in-game mindset. The great "stuff" doesn't last.

From his interviews, I've always liked Jake. I still think he can be great, not just good. I was good friends with my colleague until I had to effectively sever the friendship because he was poison for my career. He's a great guy.....who could never corral his temperament. I hope that's not the end result with Jake. Sorry for my over-reaching diagnosis.

Sounds a lot like Strop as well. Between those 2 I think the O's need to hire the Dr. from Necessary Roughness ASAP.

Twitter wars are just the lowest form of communication the Earth has ever seen. I mean, I rather listen to pigs grunt at each other than read this kind of stuff on Twitter. As with any professional athlete, they do themselves no service engaging in back and forths with fans, especially those out to get under your skin.

Twitter's horrible, trying to read a "conversation" and determining who directed what at whom, is enough to make the eyes bleed. Its a big, dumb, nightmare. And just because 500M people use it means nothing. The majority of them are under the false pretense that people really give a ish what they think.

And as he occasionally reminds us, the award for best pitching each season is named after the guy with the most career wins.

Edit: Yeah, that season must have been something. O.H.R. started every game after a certain point in the season, because he beat up his team's other starting pitcher during a brawl.

So Charlie Sweeney was Providence's other pitcher that year. There are conflicting stories as to why he left or was released. Either he really was a drunk, or he was faking it to go jump to the competing Union Association and a higher salary. In any case, Radbourne apparently really did volunteer to pitch every Providence game from (IIRC) mid-July to the end of the year, and he did.

Of course this was a radically different era with constant tinkering with the pitching rules. I think in '84 walks were 6? 7? balls, although '87 was the only year with four strikes for an out. They still pitched from a rectangular box on flat ground with the front edge 45' from the plate, and you were allowed a couple steps/hops before pitching. And this was in the middle of changing from all-underhanded, stiff-wristed deliveries to a more modern style. Not entirely sure exactly what the rules were that year. In any case, Old Hoss was a workhorse (duh) but less because he was capable of superhuman feats, and more because the rules were wildly different. And even at that he had a very short peak and career.

Twitter's horrible, trying to read a "conversation" and determining who directed what at whom, is enough to make the eyes bleed. Its a big, dumb, nightmare. And just because 500M people use it means nothing. The majority of them are under the false pretense that people really give a ish what they think.

Agreed 100%.

Twitter's just a cluster to look at visually. All the #s and @s just turn me off. That and it automatically makes the most intelligent of persons sound like a braindead 13 year old.

Like an Israelite in ancient Egypt, the Twitter craze has passed me over.

Jake had an issue with social media before. Does anyone other then me remember his public blog where he ripped the O's minor league spring training facilities?

(mind you they were atrocious at that time)

Now that you mention it I think he was the reason that the Orioles put the halt on player blogs. Remember the wonderful minor league blog of Caleb Joesph? He used to write just great stuff of what the life was like in the minors.

Then someone had to spoil all the fun. LOL>

The account may be verified but someone may be using it in his name....maybe...I hope so.

Hilarious if this is Jake's girlfriend getting all worked up and protective. Meanwhile Arrieta flips burgers on the grill...looking on.

Archived