Jake Arrieta goes all Jen Royle on twitter. Is this why he fails? Little self control?

Gurgi

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Twitter provides a great service for me, but it took a while to understand that value. I never tweet, and I ignore all the annoying, childish antics out there. I mainly follow O's/Ravens/Terps/Caps beat writers, and a few other people in the know in the 4 major sports, entertainment industry, a few actors and athletes. Trolls are everywhere, this isn't unique to Twitter. Tony nailed it, Jake should not have engaged these trolls.

Twitter has great value. I'm mainly on it for finance/music/sports related information. For example this all came across in the past minute

Frederik Ducrozet ‏@fwred 31s

any "country-specific" ECB policy never a good sign per se (violation of equal treatment) nor easy to implement (e.g. 2011LTRO collateral)

Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Leigh Drogen ‏@LDrogen 42s

broken jaws can do that sometimes RT @sn_nhl: Sidney Crosby is not playing in Game 1 for Penguins http://bit.ly/YmAIOPView summary

Phil Pearlman ‏@ppearlman 1m

some of my fondness for danny kahneman attributable to his resemblance to my uncle willie, a wonderful man. Representativeness? who cares..

Expand

HedgedIn ‏@noalpha_allbeta Protected account 1m

Swirlogram of doom $GS http://twitpic.com/cne4ao

View photo

Adam Jones constantly gets in Twitter fights with high school baseball players. It's mostly just immature kids trying to show off to their friends by belittling a professional athlete. But some players let it get under their skin too much, if he just acted like he didn't care then I'm pretty sure these people would stop.
Honestly this is a wonderful window into this guy's thought process or lack of.

I know twitter doesnt mean jack on how a guy does but this doesnt make me feel like he is really going to make a sudden turn around. His meltdowns on the mound might just be impossible to stop. Maybe its just the way he is going to be?

Or, it just reminds us that these guys are human, just like the rest of us. Though I will agree that the difference between the great ones and just another pro with great physical gifts is the mindset. And these "average Joe" reactions show that he may be on another level physically, but not mentally.

The fact that he is showing such a "human," if not, extremely sensitive side, makes me root for him even more- albeit while also giving me more doubts.

Yeah right about the possibility of his GF. Jake's responses are childish/embarrassing enough, if the twitter insults thrown towards Jake got under his GF's skin enough to write that stuff then she belongs in a psych ward.

Or perhaps you do for taking so much out of the twitters. I wonder how many people follow Jake on twitter? He probably thought it was mostly his family and friends.

Adam Jones constantly gets in Twitter fights with high school baseball players. It's mostly just immature kids trying to show off to their friends by belittling a professional athlete. But some players let it get under their skin too much, if he just acted like he didn't care then I'm pretty sure these people would stop.

We as a society have to figure out how to navigate social media when it comes to this stuff. It's real easy to fault guys like Adam Jones and Jake Arrieta for not turning the other cheek, but on what planet is it acceptable to hurl personal insults in a public forum? Someone in this thread mentioned that Arrieta's probably arguing with 13 year old kids. Rather than point the finger at Jake, I want to know why a 13-year-old (or whatever) is running unchecked by a parent on Twitter. My wife and I snoop like crazy on my 14-year-old son's social media activity. Just a few weeks ago two kids from my son's high school were trolling Adam Jones on Twitter. My son mentioned it so I checked it out, and it wasn't anything horrifying or graphic, but things were said that no teenager should say to an adult. When I told my son that it wasn't appropriate, I was disappointed at his, "What? It's just Twitter", attitude. I told him that the medium is irrelevant...whether it's e-mail, text, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, face-to-face, or whatever, no kid should speak to an adult like that.

When I first got involved with the Orioles Hangout, Tony gave me some really good advice about the job that I've applied to my interactions on the internet across the board. "Don't write anything or post anything to the message board that you wouldn't be willing to say to the guy's face." I'd love to see how brazen Arrieta's Twitter trolls would be without the security afforded them by the internet and their iPhone/PC/etc. Mine might be a caveman type of a mindset, but I think if you throw the potential legal issues out of the picture, the troll should ask himself, "Do I need to say this so bad that I'm willing to get punched in the face for it?"

Or, it just reminds us that these guys are human, just like the rest of us. Though I will agree that the difference between the great ones and just another pro with great physical gifts is the mindset. And these "average Joe" reactions show that he may be on another level physically, but not mentally.

That's the thing - how many of 'the rest of us' would take the bait when getting trolled by a wannabe thug teenager and his 'boys'.

This comment also said a lot to me about how Arrieta perceives his chances of success on the baseball diamond: "you dwarfs think AAA phases me? I will succeed in many venues other than this game."

Archived