Speculation on Lee / Utley being moved - O's interested?

bluedog

I've seen some speculation that the Phils may look to move some of their huge contracts this trade deadline similar to what the Red Sox did last year. Theories are that Lee & Utley could both be had primarily for salary relief and B+/A- prospects. Lee would have over 60M left on his contract and Utley is a free agent at the end of the year with 7 - 8M left on his to finish the year.

Lee and Utley would fill the two biggest holes for the O's (#1 starter & 2B) and both are passionate about winning. Angelos is apparently willing to take on salary (although it would be shocking for him to approve a trade for a pitcher with that much money owed to him...).

Whether or not Angelos will do it aside, would you want Lee & Utley if the O's could figure out how to get the deal done without parting with Gausman or Bundy?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've seen some speculation that the Phils may look to move some of their huge contracts this trade deadline similar to what the Red Sox did last year. Theories are that Lee & Utley could both be had primarily for salary relief and B+/A- prospects. Lee would have over 60M left on his contract and Utley is a free agent at the end of the year with 7 - 8M left on his to finish the year.

Lee and Utley would fill the two biggest holes for the O's (#1 starter & 2B) and both are passionate about winning. Angelos is apparently willing to take on salary (although it would be shocking for him to approve a trade for a pitcher with that much money owed to him...).

Whether or not Angelos will do it aside, would you want Lee & Utley if the O's could figure out how to get the deal done without parting with Gausman or Bundy?

Take a look at what the Angels gave up for just a rental of Greinke. You will be lucky not to have to give up both.

If we can get it done without moving Bundy/Gausmen sure...but otherwise no

Cliff Lee hasn't pitched as well the last couple of years and Utley's been injured almost as much as Roberts

The one year left on Utley is a plus but the Lee contract isn't great

Cliff Lee hasn't pitched as well the last couple of years and Utley's been injured almost as much as Roberts

Cliff Lee has pitched very well the last few years, and Utley seems to be as healthy as he's been in years. His knees are a matter of pain management, and his contract is up this year.

All for acquiring both.

Cliff Lee has pitched very well the last few years, and Utley seems to be as healthy as he's been in years. His knees are a matter of pain management, and his contract is up this year.

All for acquiring both.

I guess I was a bit wrong about my Lee statement after looking up stats. I don't see Utley as a big upgrade over Roberts though.

Would you give up Bundy+ for it? That's probably what it would take

All for acquiring both.

Utley is up this year. Lee is under club control through 2016 with the team option. It is actually not a dump in any way. He alone fetches Bundy plus Gausman.

I guess I was a bit wrong about my Lee statement after looking up stats. I don't see Utley as a big upgrade over Roberts though.

Utley is actually much better than Roberts this year. He plays baseball.

I know I wouldn't. The O's need starting pitching more than anything and I would only give up Bundy for a top pitcher under 25...Harvey, Bumgarner, Sale types.

We've had enough players on the decline in their careers already.

I know I wouldn't. The O's need starting pitching more than anything and I would only give up Bundy for a top pitcher under 25...Harvey, Bumgarner, Sale types.

We've had enough players on the decline in their careers already.

Wow that's some major over valuing of Bundy. It would take 3 Bundy's to get a Harvey, Sale or Bumgarner.

Bundy is an injured prospect

Wow that's some major over valuing of Bundy. It would take 3 Bundy's to get a Harvey, Sale or Bumgarner.

Bundy is an injured prospect

Maybe. But you don't trade Bundy. And No, they should not have traded Trevor Bauer. And he is no Bundy. Strasburg was an injured prospect too.

Archived