It's Official, We are Contenders and Probably Favorites

brianod

While there is a high correlation to ERA to winning games, the Rays were first in the majors in team ERA and missed the playoffs. Yankees and Orioles were 12th and 13th. The Rangers were 18th. For starter ERA, the Orioles were 21st last year, just behind the Rangers at 20.

The Orioles have the benefit of scoring the 4th most runs in the majors so far this year to offset the 15th most runs allowed.

We're doing VERY well for a team with a shaky starting rotation and in a much better position than we were last year.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No doubt. I think this team has some really nice pieces to work with but more importantly they have leadership that promotes and has instilled in them the belief that they are winners, they should win, and as a result you see a team that make you work to beat them. Imagine what they can do if the starters start to get in a grove with consistency and they find someone who can provide some output at DH....very very dangerous team.

They just seem ot have a ton of heart. Every tough loss seems to be followed up by a gutsy victory. What the O's have been doing well the past couple years is avoiding long and painful losing streaks. Another thing I like about this year's team is that patience seems to be more of a factor. I remember Duquette saying he wanted to instill that in the team when he was hired and it looks like it's working. I don't think we have any 400 OBP guys but I think we have a lot of guys who know how to work a count. I'll single out McLouth here. I love how he works a count. Gets on base and if it's a tight game, it's usually a good bet that he's going to try to get himself in scoring position. He did that tonight. Manny and Nick couldn't get him in ultimately but he's just a great lead off guy to have. What a find that was by Duquette and the FO.

They just seem ot have a ton of heart. Every tough loss seems to be followed up by a gutsy victory. What the O's have been doing well the past couple years is avoiding long and painful losing streaks. Another thing I like about this year's team is that patience seems to be more of a factor. I remember Duquette saying he wanted to instill that in the team when he was hired and it looks like it's working. I don't think we have any 400 OBP guys but I think we have a lot of guys who know how to work a count. I'll single out McLouth here. I love how he works a count. Gets on base and if it's a tight game, it's usually a good bet that he's going to try to get himself in scoring position. He did that tonight. Manny and Nick couldn't get him in ultimately but he's just a great lead off guy to have. What a find that was by Duquette and the FO.

As recent as the first 40 or so games last year I can remember watching this team and just shaking my head at the mistakes they made with the fundamentals of the game. The turnaround has been remarkable. Buck deserves a lot of credit for that and so does DD for finding guys who might not be spectacular, might not put up monster numbers but they understand how the game should be played and they understand if they play it right they will win more often than lose. I think Buck is also a guy who master of getting these guys to remember why they play the game and take pride in it. His true gift is the perfect blend of expecting you to get it done but willing to allow guys to seek redemption for their mistakes. The end result is a tenacious team that is resilient and takes pride in their play but does not get to hung up on the inevitable bumps in the road and mistakes that occur

This is a team of fighters. You think they are beaten then bang we got the lead back. They just never give up. You have to give it to Buck. Before this team came to the ball park thinking they were going to lose. Now they are coming to kick some ass. Been a fan since 1964. I love this team.

This is a team of fighters. You think they are beaten then bang we got the lead back. They just never give up. You have to give it to Buck. Before this team came to the ball park thinking they were going to lose. Now they are coming to kick some ass. Been a fan since 1964. I love this team.

All the guys that say a manager can only add a few wins to a team should study the resurgence of this team under Buck and take a second look at that opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Almost 2 months into the season, and we're hanging in there.

I believe that the bullpen will be more consistent if the starters can go longer than they (generally) have so far.

The offense has been excellent, as they lead the major leagues in runs scored (271.)

O

RED SOX .......o32 - 22

YANKEES ......O 30 - 22

ORIOLES ......0 29 - 24

D-RAYS...........o28 - 24

BLUE JAYS... 23 - 30

I didn't realize the Rays were that close to us. Those sneaky bastards.

They've played extremely well of late. I'm expecting a very exciting multi-team race all the way to the wire. I wouldn't be shocked if the Jays crawl back in it, either.

They've played extremely well of late. I'm expecting a very exciting multi-team race all the way to the wire. I wouldn't be shocked if the Jays crawl back in it, either.

Yeah, it's JTrea's dream scenario, all 5 teams in the East over .500. Crazy year!

Yeah, it's JTrea's dream scenario, all 5 teams in the East over .500. Crazy year!

We're all going to be driven crazy and our personal lives ruined by this season. So the O's had better win the pennant!

Did he have both the Yanks and Sox winning ~110 games last year? And the O's over .500, but still 30 games out? I think that would require the whole division playing .800 ball outside of the East.

I didn't realize the Rays were that close to us. Those sneaky bastards.

Due to the fact that they never gave us fair warning of their rise back into contention, Bud Selig is making the Rays forfeit 2 of their wins. They are now 2 and-a-half games behind us.

Archived