Christian Walker and Henry Urrutia upside

cnmilton

This is to the people on this board who know a heck of a lot more about scouting young players than I know: What do you see in either Walker or Urrutia? Do either of these players show enough skill to eventually make the Majors?

The reason I ask is that these two position players (along with Marin and Delmonico) really pique my curiosity. Both Walker and Urrutia have had pretty good success outside of MLB (Walker in NCAA, Urrutia in Cuba and International)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not a scout, and therefore not responding directly to your question.

I don't understand why Walker is stuck in Delmarva. He's demolishing the league. At 22 years old, he's older than average. Move him up!

Urrutia? He's got the best OPS in the whole dang Orioles system! Promote the man.

I am not a scout, and therefore not responding directly to your question.

I don't understand why Walker is stuck in Delmarva. He's demolishing the league. At 22 years old, he's older than average. Move him up!

Urrutia? He's got the best OPS in the whole dang Orioles system! Promote the man.

Urrutia looks good....big man too.

Walker is an MLB caliber player IMO. I really believe he's been boxed into an opinion of not a conventional first baseman. The kid can hit and has great approach.

As far as Urrutia, seems like he needs to be given another month but if he's still raking an MLB promotion is in order.

Walker is an MLB caliber player IMO. I really believe he's been boxed into an opinion of not a conventional first baseman. The kid can hit and has great approach.

As far as Urrutia, seems like he needs to be given another month but if he's still raking an MLB promotion is in order.

I agree with both opinions.

Walker can flat out hit. Given his age and college experience, I really want to start seeing him challenged by better pitching. He at least belongs in Frederick, and maybe Bowie. I understand his defense at 1B is fine and that the biggest knock on him is his apparently only moderate power.

Not many people have had a chance to scout Urrutia in person, but the glowing quotes about him from Ferreira and the general reports on him indicate he's 1) got a good solid approach and 2) is advanced enough to be a MLer this season. Based on O's org quotes alone, the doubt with him seems to be the fact that we haven't seen him produce in our leagues yet. I wouldn't be surprised, in the least, if he takes over the LH DH spot on the ML team sometime in June.

Urrutia is a a Firstbaseman/Outfielder.

Can Urrutia play 1B? I'm sure he could learn, but if he could he could be a 4th (5th?) outfielder, DH or play 1st, giving him plenty of chances for at bats.

Urrutia in Norfolk by the end of June. No reason to rush him as all of our OF'ers are playing well, although he could DH if Betemit's return is delayed. Could we trade McLouth at the trade deadline with Henry taking over in LF and Markakis becoming the full-time leadoff hitter?

Walker in Frederick by the end of May. If he continues hitting, he could see three levels this season. But with Davis entrenching himself at 1B, could his best value be in a trade? Luckily, they don't need to decide right now.

Our bench is Pearce, Flaherty/Casilla, Dickerson, Snyder

If Roberts returns, Flaherty gets sent down, so Urrutia would have to replace Dickerson. If Roberts doesn't return, Urrutia could replace Flaherty. Nothing happens unless Urrutia truly impresses, of course.

...and if that's the case, more doors do open in terms of depth and trades. The O's could attempt to re-sign McClouth and then use Urrutia as a solid piece in a trade if that's what we choose to do. Or they could use McClouth as a trade piece if they're comfortable replacing him.

Options are good, and Urrutia in particular might be good enough to give DD some good options come July.

Does anyone know Urrutia's splits? Does he hit leftys? For that matter, does he hit off-speed? In other words, does he fit where the Orioles have problems?

Hits lefties .273/.333/.636/.970; righties .356/.420/.578/.998

So better average and onbase skills against right-handers and a little more power against left

handers. He hits left handed and fields right handed; assume that's his natural side which may account for the better power.

Our bench is Pearce, Flaherty/Casilla, Dickerson, Snyder

If Roberts returns, Flaherty gets sent down, so Urrutia would have to replace Dickerson. If Roberts doesn't return, Urrutia could replace Flaherty. Nothing happens unless Urrutia truly impresses, of course.

...and if that's the case, more doors do open in terms of depth and trades. The O's could attempt to re-sign McClouth and then use Urrutia as a solid piece in a trade if that's what we choose to do. Or they could use McClouth as a trade piece if they're comfortable replacing him.

Options are good, and Urrutia in particular might be good enough to give DD some good options come July.

That leaves us with nobody to back up SS, 3B or 2B. They won't do that.

Hits lefties .273/.333/.636/.970; righties .356/.420/.578/.998

So better average and onbase skills against right-handers and a little more power against left

handers. He hits left handed and fields right handed; assume that's his natural side which may account for the better power.

You can't make any determination like that with the number of AB's he's had.

Archived