Harper's Ejection

Il BuonO

Between this and the Hallion ejection of David Price last week I think it might be time for another umpire purge. The boys in blue have evidently forgotten the lessons of the last purge, and need to be educated once again.

Why would they learn a lesson when they're welcomed back with open arms?

Why would an Ump have any reason to move TOWARD home plate? Hirschbeck was being the aggressor. He escalated the situation.

I'm obviously of the minority opinion on this one, but it appeared that Hirschbeck moved towards home to tell the Gnats 3B coach to get his guy in line. I think that saying Hirschbeck was quick to pull the trigger on the ejection - even too quick - would be fair, but I think describing him as "the aggressor" is unfairly giving Harper a pass.

Where should Harper have moved? He was the third out, and as is customary he stayed on the field waiting for somebody to bring him his hat and glove.

I should've said "moved along." If Harper had turned around and proceeded to remove his gear after Hirschbeck's first warning instead of continuing to stare Hirschbeck down, I imagine he wouldn't have been ejected. Again, I know I'm in the minority on the ejection, but I seriously doubt that Hirschbeck had any intention of tossing Harper when the made the call on the checked swing.

• 1 month later...
When Washington Nationals outfielder Bryce Harper sent manager Davey Johnson a text message that said "play me or trade me" after learning of Johnson's plan to rest him this weekend against the Padres, most people thought he was joking. He wasn't.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/7/6/4499788/bryce-harper-playing-trade-nationals-davey-johnson

I like the fire in him, but douchey way to express it.

Wow this guy is a tool. I cant believe this crap. Glad we have Machado and not this guy.

Is this news? Harper was showing up pitchers in the minors after he would hit a HR. Now he doesn't have the sense to go in and have a face to face with his own manager without saying what's on his mind.

He's been a tool for some time.

Is this news? Harper was showing up pitchers in the minors after he would hit a HR. Now he doesn't have the sense to go in and have a face to face with his own manager without saying what's on his mind.

He's been a tool for some time.

Was a good thing he did for the little boy last week tho.

Gavin’s favorite player came walking out.

“You guys want to go out on the field?” Bryce Harper asked.

The group stood off to the side as the Padres started taking batting practice. An hour later, up until about 45 minutes to first pitch, Harper was still there talking to Gavin and his family. Kyle Mann, the Nationals coordinator of community relations, had never seen a player spend so much time with a kid before a game.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2013/07/05/bryce-harpers-visit-with-gavin-rupp/

I wish the media would better promote stories like these. Hopefully Harper learns to keep his attitude in check better because the vibe he gives off is just so grating to many. He plays the game so hard, I just wish he made it easier to root for him. Stuff like that is a good start.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2013/07/05/bryce-harpers-visit-with-gavin-rupp/

I wish the media would better promote stories like these. Hopefully Harper learns to keep his attitude in check better because the vibe he gives off is just so grating to many. He plays the game so hard, I just wish he made it easier to root for him. Stuff like that is a good start.

It's a shame, too, because I like how he plays the game, but the show boating I can do without. Stuff like this with the kid can go a long way towards mending fences though.

Archived