I know not everyone is a big Jim Hunter fan...

crowmst3k!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hunter could make getting punched in the nuts sound like a positive experience.

"A modest three day streak of not being punched in the nuts." or something like that. Really, Hunter isn't horrible and I guess his optimism is a little easier to bear since that's easier to take when we're looking like a good team rather than going to the cellar. I'd probably rate Hunter overall as below average but not terrible. A D+/C- if you will.

This, exactly. In Connecticut, my only option for listening to the Orioles on the radio is when they play the Yanks and I can listen to Sterling and Waldman on WCBS. People complaining about Hunter (or Manfra) really need to count their blessings, methinks.

Sterling's little jingles for each Yankee drive me nuts and Waldman's voice is monotonous--though preferable to Bordick's poor attempts at cadence--but I like the fact that Waldman seems to have an appreciation of other teams' talent.

The man just exudes optimism in every thing he says and does.

I thought tonight, Jim's call as it really started pouring was Jim Hunter personified. Jim said something along the lines of "...As the rain starts to pick up alittle..." Bordick followed by sarcastically chiming in "Yea, just a little." Hunter then goes on to seemingly try and convince us and maybe even himself, "...that the grounds-crew are not set up by the tarp. So this must not pose an imminent threat to to conclusion of the game." Or something like that. All the while, it is absolutely pouring. Then as the Ump called it, Hunter seemed genuinely depressed by the delay.

I find it hard to hate on a man that has remained so optimistic through out all of these years of sucktitude. Outside of maybe Markakis or Roberts, I doubt there's anyone more grateful, appreciative and deserving of the new-found winning ways then Hunter.

Well said Jon.

I'll still take Hunter over the Nats' Bob Carpenter and Santangelo/Dibble/Sutton(whoever else they've had.. I think someone already said it here but Carpenter whines about umps and calls that go against the Nats way too much.

Hunter, while he is perhaps a little too homeristic for my tastes is more professional than that. The worst is Harrelson though. Nothing more lame than referring to your team as the "good guys" and the opponents as the "bad guys." I don't mind homerism in a hometown broadcaster- I expect it but I also expect professionalism and level-headed observations hence why Jim Palmer is my favorite guy on the TV side and Joe Angel is my favorite guy on the radio. Thorne has a good PBP voice. He can be a little wacky and make some mistakes but I like him as a PBP guy. Of course, I wish we still had

Jon Miller doing games. Can you imagine him and Palmer together?

That's a pretty low standard. Yes...Hunter is better than the worst crew in baseball, but he's still unbearable.

I really don't understand the people that say he has a good voice. His voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. I just feel like :drek:

This is completely true, you can hear a batted ball and he's describing the pitcher getting the sign. Another thing about Manfra I'm no fan of is his long ball recognition, it's downright awful. He makes me think someone has hit a home run when they haven't once a game.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Joe Angel (the play by play guy)? Because I think this statement about home runs applies to Angel. I used to mix their voices up but now I know who is who.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Joe Angel (the play by play guy)? Because I think this statement about home runs applies to Angel. I used to mix their voices up but now I know who is who.
Joe is great at calling HR's. My favorite is "and there's the pitch...and it's a HR!!! Manfra is a joke. Just the other night it was "HIGH DRIVE!!!!....LF.... well... maybe not even the OF grass....and Hardy settles under it. :rolleyestf:

Hunter isnt that bad. You should try listening to local TV guys for the Angels, Royals, Mariners and Nats. The Angels guys should be doing the golf channel. Manfra is the worst in all MLB, IMO. I cant watch games with Bordick, usually watch the road feed. I like Remy for Boston, he is hilarious and so the "hawk"

Hunter isnt that bad. You should try listening to local TV guys for the Angels, Royals, Mariners and Nats. The Angels guys should be doing the golf channel. Manfra is the worst in all MLB, IMO. I cant watch games with Bordick, usually watch the road feed. I like Remy for Boston, he is hilarious and so the "hawk"
You must be joking. :puke: Those two are horrible. They spend more time on camera than the game. And Hawk is about as funny as leprosy.

You must be joking. :puke: Those two are horrible. They spend more time on camera than the game. And Hawk is about as funny as leprosy.

Those guys are characters in the booth, not robots. Remy is very funny with his self depreciating sense of humor. Hawk is such a homer that he makes the game funny. If I dont learn something I dont want to bored, neither are boring.

Archived