Brian Roberts to have hamstring surgery tomorrow

LookitsPuck

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not surprising to hear Brian Roberts is having surgery and will be out several more weeks at the very least.

When he got injured right in the beginning of the season, so many were critical to the comments that Roberts appears to be done and the O's reliance on a broken down, injury prone 2B wasn't a smart move.

How it wasn't a major injury and he would be back in a couple weeks and not to make a big deal about it.

Well now Roberts is likely out for another 6 weeks or more.

Heading towards ANOTHER lost season for Roberts as his contract looks worse and worse with each day. Yet the Orioles front offense kept thinking Roberts would come back strong and failed to get an adequate replacement for him.

Thankfully it's early in the season and the team is playing great without him. Roberts will keep rehabbing in order to collect his salary but it surely looks like his career his heading to the end.

Not any surprise to those who have watched Roberts continually get injured after brief stretches of encouraging play...

Buck is pretty bullish on BRob coming back. Says this surgery should prevent problem from recurring. Trent Mummey and Evan Longoria also had this?

We can only hope...

That is all well and good but did you see how he incurred the injury? He was doing nothing more than running (stealing a base). Whose to say he doesn't do the exact same thing to the hamstring in his other leg next time he is running? I have never seen any baseball player in my lifetime of watching baseball (since my first O's game in 1963) so injury prone while doing routine things. It would be a different story if his injury was a result of some contact or actual usual activity, but that is far from the case. All of his more recent injuries are from doing routine baseball actions.

That is all well and good but did you see how he incurred the injury? He was doing nothing more than running (stealing a base). Whose to say he doesn't do the exact same thing to the hamstring in his other leg next time he is running? I have never seen any baseball player in my lifetime of watching baseball (since my first O's game in 1963) so injury prone while doing routine things. It would be a different story if his injury was a result of some contact or actual usual activity, but that is far from the case. All of his more recent injuries are from doing routine baseball actions.

David Segui?

Look, at this point it's not even worth debating. The last four years have been a disaster for BRob, and at this point, we have to assume we'll get no further production out of him, and that anything we do get is pure gravy. I have to say, I almost wish he hadn't been healthy enough this spring to get us salivating over those first three games. It just makes his absence and continual setbacks that much more painful.

Buck is pretty bullish on BRob coming back. Says this surgery should prevent problem from recurring. Trent Mummey and Evan Longoria also had this?

We can only hope...

I'm not sure what else Showalter could say. Publically, he's trying to support his player. In private; who knows? Maybe he thinks the surgery is just delaying the inevitable. And, BTW; Roberts is not Mummey or Longoria. He's injury personified. Even if he was to return, I'd expect something else will go wrong. His record of performance, or lack thereof, since 2010 is all to telling.

The last four years have been a disaster for BRob, and at this point, we have to assume we'll get no further production out of him, and that anything we do get is pure gravy.

This was true going into the season as well. I don't think anybody was penciling Roberts in for 100+ games. If he does come back around the All-Star Break and Flaherty is still the starter and still hitting like Flaherty, then you plug Roberts back in and hope for the best until he gets injured again.

David Segui?

Look, at this point it's not even worth debating. The last four years have been a disaster for BRob, and at this point, we have to assume we'll get no further production out of him, and that anything we do get is pure gravy. I have to say, I almost wish he hadn't been healthy enough this spring to get us salivating over those first three games. It just makes his absence and continual setbacks that much more painful.

Right, I stand corrected. (Other than "Mr. Fragile," David Sequi. I swear he could get hurt swinging his bat in the on-deck circle. He was unbelievable. Roberts is right behind him now though in second place and rapidly gaining.

Right, I stand corrected. (Other than "Mr. Fragile," David Sequi. I swear he could get hurt swinging his bat in the on-deck circle. He was unbelievable. Roberts is right behind him now though in second place and rapidly gaining.
CHB was calling Ortiz out on the steroid related injuries as well.

David Segui?

Yeah. This.

Archived