Is Wieters a disappointment?

Bradysburns

Do you want this pitching staff throwing to somebody other than Matt Weiters? You think we have pitching problems now..... good lord.

I noticed the OP hasn't graced us with a response.

To be fair, I'm not sure if Wieters is really that good of a game caller. I know he's great defensively and all, but just look at some of those gameplans he's had for Gausman... 14 straight fastballs? Thats not going to work.

You have to kinda put it on the catcher when the team has one of the worst ERAs in baseball. That can't really be ignored...

I think he had an emotional reaction to one very bad at bat by Wieters, when he failed to bring in the runner from 3rd in the 9th (forgetting that earlier that game he had done so with his 5th sacrifice fly, tied for the AL lead among all players, or that he had a .924 OPS with RISP this season and leads all catchers in RBI, on pace for 94). This, combined with previous expectations by some that Wieters would be a great hitter, and his earlier struggles batting lefty, led to his posting. Wieters has since gone back to hitting decently as a lefty, and very well as a righty. Wieters' hitting should be judged by how well he hits, not by comparing it to previous expectations by some, or by one bad at bat.

Actually, he made this topic about 3 weeks ago when he was in a super slump.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Three points:

1. The OP is not about Wieters being overrated or a disappointment considering where he was drafted. It's about him being an "awful" hitter and the "last guy" you'd want up in a key situation. And those statements are flat out incorrect garbage.

2. You are wrong that .258 is a disappointment for a no. 5 draft pick. There have been 22 position players drafted at no. 5. Nine of them never made the majors. Another three had 125 at bats or fewer. THAT's what a disappointing no. 5 pick looks like. Wieters is also clearly a better hitter than fellow no. 5 picks Billy conigliaro, Alan Bannister and Bobby Valentine. So, he's no worse than the 7th best hitter ever picked at no. 5, and he plays a premium defensive position. He's only disappointing to people who don't understand that very few high draft pucks actually turn out to be superstar hitters. Wieters has been much more successful a hitter than most no. 5 picks.

3. The subject of whether Wieters has been disappointing has been discussed to death. We don't need any more threads about it, and we sure as hell don't need one thirty minutes after one of the most thrilling wins of the year.

Can I close this thread down now? I'm pretty sure Frobby just put things into perspective using good ol' logic, reason, and facts. Well done, sir!

Can I close this thread down now? I'm pretty sure Frobby just put things into perspective using good ol' logic, reason, and facts. Well done, sir!

When did these things ever get in the way of a good ol' fashioned opinion? ;)

Actually, he made this topic about 3 weeks ago when he was in a super slump.

Actually he made this thread last night after the game. The thread was merged with this old one since the topic is discussed at ad nauseam.

I'm sorry I can't give credit to the poster who said this (I forget who it was) but they summed up my feelings on the situation. They said something along the lines of...The folks who rant on about how terrible Wieters is because he's not what they expected is like a spoiled high school kid who tells his friends his life is ruined because his parents bought him a Porsche for his birthday instead of a Ferrari.

Archived