Is Wieters a disappointment?

Bradysburns

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit of advice to all of those people who think Wieters is a disappointment because he's not a combo of Ruth and Bench.

1. Scouting isn't an exact science.

2. Be disappointed in yourself for believing that Wieters was going to be the best player in baseball, as opposed to tempering expectations.

Wieters is very valuable, extremely, even. Just because you hung your hopes on some scouts who set unrealistic expectations on Wieters, shouldn't make you feel like he's a disappointment.

Hopefully, you don't put as much faith in the science of meteorology, talk about a disappointment, all the experts said my weatherman was going to be the best in the business, and he isn't worth a ****.

A bit of advice to all of those people who think Wieters is a disappointment because he's not a combo of Ruth and Bench.

1. Scouting isn't an exact science.

2. Be disappointed in yourself for believing that Wieters was going to be the best player in baseball, as opposed to tempering expectations.

Wieters is very valuable, extremely, even. Just because you hung your hopes on some scouts who set unrealistic expectations on Wieters, shouldn't make you feel like he's a disappointment.

Hopefully, you don't put as much faith in the science of meteorology, talk about a disappointment, all the experts said my weatherman was going to be the best in the business, and he isn't worth a ****.

Spot on, Malike.

If anyone thinks Wieters is a disappointment, I can assure you there are 26-30 other MLB teams that would kindly take this "disappointment" off the O's hands for them. Then the O's could promote or acquire a better offensive and defensive catcher.

Spot on, Malike.

If anyone thinks Wieters is a disappointment, I can assure you there are 26-30 other MLB teams that would kindly take this "disappointment" off the O's hands for them. Then the O's could promote or acquire a better offensive and defensive catcher.

We might even be able to con the Ray's into trading Molina straight up for him. The projected difference in Pitch Framing should be an easy 100 runs!

I dunno, I just expected more than a .250/20 homer kinda guy out of him, so that makes him disappointing. Even at lower expectations, I thought that being a .300/25 homer kinda guy would have been his floor, especially with how high his batting average was at every level, college and pro, before making it to the majors. Barely batting .250 at the major league level just isn't living up to what I expected out of him even at the minimum.

He's great defensively, yeah. I love having him and I would take him over nearly any other catcher in the game. But theres a big difference between a "Good" and a "Great" player, so I'm disappointed he isn't the great player I expected he would be.

Lots of bad analogies and references going on in this thread.

Based on where the club drafted him, where they saw his value and what they expected its easy to understand how fans can be disappointed MW hasn't met these expectations.

Count me in the camp of those that feel less than excited of MW's performance.

Now do I want to get rid of him, of course not. Being disappointed doesn't equate to wanting him off the roster.

I dunno, I just expected more than a .250/20 homer kinda guy out of him, so that makes him disappointing. Even at lower expectations, I thought that being a .300/25 homer kinda guy would have been his floor, especially with how high his batting average was at every level, college and pro, before making it to the majors. Barely batting .250 at the major league level just isn't living up to what I expected out of him even at the minimum.

He's great defensively, yeah. I love having him and I would take him over nearly any other catcher in the game. But theres a big difference between a "Good" and a "Great" player, so I'm disappointed he isn't the great player I expected he would be.

Again, what's this barely hitting .250 stuff? He's had lines of .288, .249, .262, and .249 in his major league career. .250 is on the low end. As the old saying goes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but not their own facts.

Again, what's this barely hitting .250 stuff? He's had lines of .288, .249, .262, and .249 in his major league career. .250 is on the low end. As the old saying goes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but not their own facts.

.288 was half a rookie season and he seems to have regressed since then with his batting average. He has a career .259 and its just going lower in the last couple years.

You're being too picky if you're complaining about using the phrasing "barely .250" when he's batting in the .250s for his career.

Lots of bad analogies and references going on in this thread.

Based on where the club drafted him, where they saw his value and what they expected its easy to understand how fans can be disappointed MW hasn't met these expectations.

Count me in the camp of those that feel less than excited of MW's performance.

Now do I want to get rid of him, of course not. Being disappointed doesn't equate to wanting him off the roster.

Someone else can run the numbers but I bet Matt is doing pretty good compared to other kids that have gone #4 in the draft. There wasn't Strasburg or Harper hype surrounding him, just the normal "once in a generation" hype from his agent.

I think it's reasonable to say the .288 season is an outlier ( it was his first and not a full season). Saying he's a .250-.260 hitter is about right.

.288 was half a rookie season and he seems to have regressed since then with his batting average. He has a career .259 and its just going lower in the last couple years.

You're being too picky if you're complaining about using the phrasing "barely .250" when he's batting in the .250s for his career.

I'm not being "picky" nor am I "complaining" about your use of terms. Barely implies that he's just eking over the threshold. It has been the bottom line for his career. Words have meanings.

I'm not being "picky" nor am I "complaining" about your use of terms. Barely implies that he's just eking over the threshold. It has been the bottom line for his career. Words have meanings.

Archived