Is Chen injured?

Dark Helmet

You throw out the guy's entire career to make a point about one month of stats... then you throw out his stats in his home park, 1/2 his starts to further your point.

Saunders has a long track record, he has pitched well in other parks besides Safeco.. he will provide a roughly league average starter.

As I said I wanted DD to sign someone better than Saunders... but Saunders should have been the minimum as the O's rotation had almost no long term track record coming into this season.

Career

Joe Saunders: 4.20 ERA, 1.38 WHIP

Freddy Garcia: 4.15 ERA, 1.30 WHIP

2010-2013

Joe Saunders: 4.18 ERA, 1.38 WHIP

Freddy Garcia: 4.42 ERA, 1.35 WHIP

There's a reason Duquette is the GM.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Career

Joe Saunders: 4.20 ERA, 1.38 WHIP

Freddy Garcia: 4.15 ERA, 1.30 WHIP

2010-2013

Joe Saunders: 4.18 ERA, 1.38 WHIP

Freddy Garcia: 4.42 ERA, 1.35 WHIP

There's a reason Duquette is the GM.

Saunders costs $6.5 million

Garcia costs probably under a million (Couldn't find is exact deal, just a minor league deal but it probably was a split deal that gives him a major league salary more than the minimum.)

You throw out the guy's entire career to make a point about one month of stats... then you throw out his stats in his home park, 1/2 his starts to further your point.

Saunders has a long track record, he has pitched well in other parks besides Safeco.. he will provide a roughly league average starter.

As I said I wanted DD to sign someone better than Saunders... but Saunders should have been the minimum as the O's rotation had almost no long term track record coming into this season.

I am not inclined to look at his career numbers when discussing this season.

Lets say that Saunders had the same stats with us this year. Three blow out losses with a few gems here and there. Would you be happy with that or would we have discussions on who to replace him with?

She said that both Chen and Buck said it might be a cramp. However, it could be an Oblique Strain. They will look at it again today.

She also said that right now if she were to guess, he would be going to the DL.

Lets hope not.

Brittany Ghiroli on 105.7 The Fan says his injury usually requires a trip to the DL. I couldn't listen to it because I'm at work, but it sounds like we might have to make a move or two.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2013/05/13/mlb-orioles-writer-brittany-ghiroli-gives-an-injury-update/

It also says no new news. Just based on what we heard yesterday. That said. I agree with her.

Those oblique strains, depending how soon they catch them, can take about a month altogether for recovery and rehab. That's usually a 3-4 week period for minor strains...longer for more moderate/serious strains. If it's just a cramp (and it could be), hopefully he'll just miss a start (preferably not miss a start at all, and just get an extra day or so of rest).

One thing I'm curious about is that he's saying he wasn't in pain after the game. That's pretty much in line with your typical cramp. But who knows with athletes, they always down play everything because they want to be on the field as soon as possibl. :)

Maybe we get lucky like we did with Chris Davis. I'm crossing my fingers.

Monday - off

Tuesday - Tillman

Wednesday - Garcia

Thursday - off

Friday - Hammel

Saturday - Arrieta

Sunday - Gonzalez

My guess.

Has Wednesday's starter been announced? I'd like them to keep Hammel and Tillman on a 5 day schedule and give Gonzo's finger more time:

Tillman

Hammel

Garcia

Chen/arrieta

Tillman

Hammel

Garcia

Gonzalez

Those oblique strains, depending how soon they catch them, can take about a month altogether for recovery and rehab. That's usually a 3-4 week period for minor strains...longer for more moderate/serious strains. If it's just a cramp (and it could be), hopefully he'll just miss a start (preferably not miss a start at all, and just get an extra day or so of rest).

One thing I'm curious about is that he's saying he wasn't in pain after the game. That's pretty much in line with your typical cramp. But who knows with athletes, they always down play everything because they want to be on the field as soon as possibl. :)

Why would he miss a start if it's just a cramp.

Yep, just like we did with Markakis (disk problem) during Spring Training as well. Both Nick and Davis' injuries looked to have the potential to be very serious problems and there was a great deal of worry, not saying unjustifiably so, on the OH. Then it turned out that both Nick and Davis, in their comments, were not playing down their injuries and the way they were feeling.

That being said, once again, I'm not sure how to take Chen's comments about the "cramp" and the way he was feeling after the game. As for Buck, I do not think he was as optimistic as some might think he was. He made it pretty clear that he, at this point, was choosing to be optimistic. I think he fears the same thing we all do, it is an oblique strain and Chen will need to be DL'd and these injuries can be tricky. We've got two days off this week, so if the injury turns out to not be serious Chen should be able to be skipped and hopefully come back strong when ready and needed.

Also, IMHO, Duquette has done a great job at building up depth and with Gonzo's blister and this potential injury I feel as though Jurrjens can step in and be fine and I'd be okay giving Johnson another chance. Still not sure how much longer Garcia can be effective but glad we have him for now...

Why would he miss a start if it's just a cramp.

Depends on if they play it safe and he doesn't throw in between starts. We'll know more today. Chances are if it's just a cramp he gets pushed back a day or so. We have multiple days off this week, so they can afford to push him back a few days or even a start.

Oblique strains are no joke. The fact that they are even mentioning the possibility of a cramp gives me room for optimism.

I've strained an oblique before and the pain when coughing, sneezing or going to the bathroom ("turning two") is unbelievable. It's like a knife in your midsection being twisted.

Has Wednesday's starter been announced? I'd like them to keep Hammel and Tillman on a 5 day schedule and give Gonzo's finger more time:

Tillman

Hammel

Garcia

Chen/arrieta

Tillman

Hammel

Garcia

Gonzalez

Hammel or Garcia on Wednesday with the other starter lined up for Friday. Saturday would be when they would need another starter. Gonzalez may do a rehab start on either Thursday or Friday at the earliest. I don't see him starting till at least early next week or later. The O's don't have another off day after Thursday till June 3rd. They will need a starter for Saurday, either Chen starts or a callup. They can bring Johnson back if Chen is injured. Also will need a starter for Tuesday of next week. Gonzo perhaps,if he rehabs Thursday. The O's website has TBD after Tillman pitches tomorrow.

Hammel or Garcia on Wednesday with the other starter lined up for Friday. Saturday would be when they would need another starter. Gonzalez may do a rehab start on either Thursday or Friday at the earliest. I don't see him starting till at least early next week or later. The O's don't have another off day after Thursday till June 3rd. They will need a starter for Saurday, either Chen starts or a callup. They can bring Johnson back if Chen is injured. Also will need a starter for Tuesday of next week. Gonzo perhaps,if he rehabs Thursday. The O's website has TBD after Tillman pitches tomorrow.

If they bring SJ back, then TJ Macfarland starts IMO. SJ needs time in AAA. He isn't ready.

Archived