Is Chen injured?

Dark Helmet

Jurrjens cruised through 3 innings (allowed a home run in the 3rd), but the wheels are coming off in the 4th.

Line so far:

58 pitches, 41 strikes, 17 balls (71% strikes....very good)

4 IP, 6 hits, 0 BB, 3 SO, 1 HR, 5 ER

I'm not sure how the conditions are, but this is Jair's worst start in 2013.

He's still in the game, FWIW. Only 58 pitches in 4 innings.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds like he's still 88-90 instead of 90-92, though. I like his strike-throwing ability, I just don't know what we can glean from his decent AAA numbers. Sort of like Arrieta - it's almost meaningless that he pitches well in AAA, so it's going to be about what the scouts/coaches see rather than the numbers.

Kind of agree with this. Even though his H/9 is low, I don't like the lack of K's and the loss of velocity. I get the feeling he'd get beat up with the O's right now.

I'm curious what his velocity numbers are.

I know in spring training he hit 93mph and was hitting 91mph. So I'm guessing he's sitting in that 88-91 range, but I don't know.

He's never been a big strikeout guy. 6.0 SO/9 in the majors. His best year when he went 13-6 and was an All Star in 2011 (2.96 ERA, 1.224 WHIP) he only had a 5.3 SO/9.

Over his last 3 years in the majors:

2010: 6.7

2011: 5.3

2012: 3.5

He's back to around 6.0 SO/9 in the minors, after only a 4.9 SO/9 in 2012 and a 4.5 in 2011.

I am hoping that since they let JJ pitch today that they know something we don't...such as Chen just having a cramp.

Wishful thinking, I know. I also know there are other pitchers who could start for Chen.

Archived