VOTE for the Uniform! ESPN official Uni Tournament

isestrex

Also- I have to come clean and admit that I actually like the Marlins uniforms. Certainly NOT Top 10 material- but I have 'em in my top half. They probably wouldn't work for any other franchise- but they somehow work for Miami for me. Maybe it's time to quit drinking...:cool:

I LOVED the old uniforms and came very close to purchasing an old 2006ish Miguel Cabrera jersey during the Marlin's final year.... but I felt like an adulterer or something ;)

I can't stand the new ones.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah. I've kind of liked all the Marlin uniforms through the years- so I totally get that. The current ones are definitely an "acquired" taste- but I just have a feeling that looking back several years from now folks will find them "fun"/distinctive in the same kind of way folks seem to dig the 70's and 80's Expos uniforms or the Indianapolis Clowns from the Negro Leagues or something. Could be totally off on that though obviously...

Up pretty good early against MFY's.

I'll come clean and say I like Miami's new uni's as well. I like the ridiculous stadium too. (Sorry taxpayers). I hated the Florida Marlins stuff. I loved that they went back to being Miami. I have a weird affection for that city although I've never been there. I've seen it from the water when I was in the Navy and I spent a week in Ft. Lauderdale. I was smitten with Bad Boy Hurricane football as a kid. Plus the idea of wearing boardshorts and sandals year round is certainly appealing.

Besides the Birds, I think LA and SF, and Oak are the best uni's. Detroit gets an honorable mention, so does KC.

Up pretty good early against MFY's.

I'll come clean and say I like Miami's new uni's as well. I like the ridiculous stadium too. (Sorry taxpayers). I hated the Florida Marlins stuff. I loved that they went back to being Miami. I have a weird affection for that city although I've never been there. I've seen it from the water when I was in the Navy and I spent a week in Ft. Lauderdale. I was smitten with Bad Boy Hurricane football as a kid. Plus the idea of wearing boardshorts and sandals year round is certainly appealing.

Besides the Birds, I think LA and SF, and Oak are the best uni's. Detroit gets an honorable mention, so does KC.

Miami's not for everybody. Definitely NOT your average "American" city (or Florida city for that matter) for sure. With all the Latin influence it's a bit like taking a trip to South America without the long flight and bringing your passport, etc. That said- it's always appealed to me (in small doses) b/c of that though. Very unique city with interesting architecture (art deco, modern, Spanish, etc.), music, food, culture, etc. IMHO. The warm weather, beaches, nightlife and near year-round bikini-clad women don't hurt either.:thumbsup1:

Anyway- it's a kind of "off the wall" place- and seems fitting that the team has a funky stadium and unique unis rather than yet another attempt by somebody to create a 1939 "Yankee" or "Cardinal" look for their franchise or whatever (though I'm very much a traditionalist when it comes to uniforms). Great uniform choices BTW... Gotta say the Dodgers (my sort of hobby "NL team") are among my favorites too.:thumbsup1:

Gotta say- I'm pleasantly surprised how well the O's are doing in this thing. I would have thought we were goners against the Tigers for sure. I think folks are maybe finally thirsting for brighter, bolder colors and a little more "irreverence" in their uniforms after 15-20 years of a sort of solemn strict adherence to "classic" 1940's/50's styles. Actually- one of the great things that the O's current set has going for it IMHO is the ability to be both bright and bold yet still have a relatively "classic" look to it. Makes it very similar to the Dodger and Cardinal sets IMHO... which is a very, very good thing.

The fact that this thread is so long proves that there have too many off days recently!! These things so often are just about whose fan base is really paying attention, so I guess it's a good sign that the O's have gotten more interesting to more people recently.

That being said, where do you guys think the O's would have finished had they NOT gone back to the cartoon bird last year, and still had the unis from a couple of years ago? Would they have even gotten past the first round?

The fact that this thread is so long proves that there have too many off days recently!! These things so often are just about whose fan base is really paying attention, so I guess it's a good sign that the O's have gotten more interesting to more people recently.

That being said, where do you guys think the O's would have finished had they NOT gone back to the cartoon bird last year, and still had the unis from a couple of years ago? Would they have even gotten past the first round?

Probably similar seeding and a first round exit.

Depending on seeding- I think they might have still managed to squeak by into the second round. I know I always considered the "ornithologically correct" uniforms to be somewhere in the top 15 or so uniforms (though not nearly as stand-out as the current set). Most of my non-Oriole fan friends seemed to think they were respectable/decent enough too. They've obviously made HUGE strides with bringing the cartoon bird back though. Ironically enough kind of reminds me of how everyone in baseball seemed to love the first "ornithologically correct" bird uniform when it premiered back in '89 actually...

1989BAL_BAL_AL_E.gif

Archived