How long before we give Matusz another shot?

Mr Snuffleupagus

I have been strongly opposed to moving Matusz out a role he is excelling in

That said it may be coming to the point were we have no choice is Jurrjens looks awful

Lets see what happens tomorrow and take it from there. Not willing to write off Hammel yet, hopefully its correctable.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is the worst that can happen? He fails and gets sent back to the bullpen? You are not any worse off.

With the state of the starting rotation right now it's kind of absurd that Brian went from almost winning a job as a starter out of spring training to not even being given a chance now.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/132637-How-long-before-we-give-Matusz-another-shot

Matusz should be a last ditch effort.

I think Buck is hoping upon hope that Jurrjens can show us something tomorrow and that he gets good news from Miggy tomorrow. If Jurrjens can stabilize this rotation, we won't have to carry an extra bullpen arm. Burnett would go down, Miggy would come up. Rotation would be:

Tillman, Hammel, Jurrjens, Gonzalez, ???? (Garcia for now)

Our rotation is really shaky right now, without Gonzalez we'll be in for a difficult few weeks with Hammel struggling and Chen on the DL.

• 2 weeks later...
As much as I've advocated moving Matusz to the rotation, I think Patton's recent struggles make that all but impossible right now.

I don't see how it could be otherwise. For now, that ship has sailed until and unless Patton gets it together, and that would probably be too late in the season to make the transition. Darn. I wanted Matusz to get his shot in the rotation this year.

Mstusz has been in 24 games and has pitched 20 innings. The most he has pitched in one game is 1 2/3 innings. He has no options and can't build arm strength up in the minors. The O's have enough pitchers who barely make five innings.

Matusz does have an option -- but I doubt the O's want to burn it.

Archived