Is Jim Johnson sick?

Baxter

You're right. I just don't think he's mentally tough

I never meant to imply he's not mentally tough. I only meant to say that right now he was looking a little worse for wear as things went bad. Considering his normal demeanor during his many many saves (and even other blown opportunities in there), I was suggesting that he may just actually be sick right now. I know when I don't feel good and things start going wrong my body language starts to scream "oh, man, not good" because its just generally harder to deal with the bad when you already feel like crap.

I know, I know, what about Michael Jordan and the flu and his great performance. If things go pretty good and stay on the upswing, it's a lot easier to stay on top of your demeanor. Plus MJ and a few others like him were special guys.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I get being disappointed but some of the posts on here are borderline absurd

JJ converted what 35 straight before this 2 game slide? Obviously he can get it done and obviously something is up be it physical or mechanical.

How about we take a deep breath and let him work it out. If it continues then we can discuss the options we have.

Its not like the guy has been horrible and this is just the latest episode. JJ is one of the most consistently good closers in the game. He will get it fixed.

Not only that, but he also got killed by some bad luck. The pitch to Kelly Johnson was down and away but he was able to put a good swing on it. Not a bad pitch at all. The Joyce double was a great pitch down and away that he just barely got over the head of the 2B. Certainly not JJ's best outing and the BBs were on him, but he really didn't pitch that poorly.

Not only that, but he also got killed by some bad luck. The pitch to Kelly Johnson was down and away but he was able to put a good swing on it. Not a bad pitch at all. The Joyce double was a great pitch down and away that he just barely got over the head of the 2B. Certainly not JJ's best outing and the BBs were on him, but he really didn't pitch that poorly.

He was bad IMO today. It happens though and even closers can get off their game. I feel pretty good he will get it together and return to form pretty quickly unless its a physical issue.

All closers choke sometimes. Mariano Rivera once cost his team the World Series in Game 7. It happens.

The biggest thing is not that closers choke sometimes,but how they bounce back from it.

Say what you will about Mo but not many pitchers could bounce back mentally the way he did from that.

I always thought in the ALDS JJ had a tough time but that's me.

I've not posted here very much. I usually in the past have spent my time on MASN chats and blogs. I was hoping that this may be the place where people would be reasonable and not

post on emotion and say ridiculous things.

Previous posts had called for Hardy to be traded because he

can no longer hit for average or power... well. Jim is 35 of his

last 37 saves. Can we at least relax and see what happens before we call for his head?

I personally am glad to see the passion is back and I hope that most posters here do not post on frustration a month and a half into the season.

Closers, believe it or not, are human too and will go through the same types of problems other pitchers will. Let's relax andsee what happens next time Buck gives him the ball because that will undoubtedly happen the next save situation.

My goodness.

Take a look at what some closers have done after 50 save seasons:

K-Rod had 62 saves in '08 with a 2.24 ERA and 1.288 WHIP

In '09 his ERA went up to 3.71 and WHIP went up a little to 1.309

Bobby Thigpen had 57 saves in 1990 with a 1.83 ERA and 1.038 WHIP

In 1991 his ERA went up to 3.49 and WHIP was 1.450

Dennis Eckersley had 51 saves in 1992 earning him the AL MVP and Cy Young award; he dominated with a .913 WHIP and 1.91 ERA. The next year, his ERA went up to 4.16 and WHIP increased to 1.194.

However, you also have Gagne who had back-to-back 50+ save seasons followed by a 45 save season. So, I'm not sure if it's the 50 save thing or not. But, it seems like he was just used all of the time (out of necessity mind you) but that may be what's killing him. Of course, it could be as simple as a slump.

Dennis Eckersley had 51 saves in 1992 earning him the AL MVP and Cy Young award; he dominated with a .913 WHIP and 1.91 ERA. The next year, his ERA went up to 4.16 and WHIP increased to 1.194.

However, you also have Gagne who had back-to-back 50+ save seasons followed by a 45 save season. So, I'm not sure if it's the 50 save thing or not. But, it seems like he was just used all of the time (out of necessity mind you) but that may be what's killing him. Of course, it could be as simple as a slump.

It might be worthy to point out Rodney as well. He did not save 50 games, but he had VIDEO GAME type numbers last year and this year it's like "WTF?"

For every closer that is just flat out dominant and then foils once to three times in their career, it just makes me appreciate Mariano Rivera even more. I hate to say it b/c he's a Yankee, but I can acknowledge it (it doesn't hurt he is a super nice guy).

I honestly think Mo will break Tom Seaver's 1st ballot HOF % voting mark.

That is some good stuff. I would say with the Eck that maybe

his age and arm had something to do with his downfall, even

though I don't think those numbers were terrible. Eck was 37 in 93, and over his career had pitched a ton of innings. Remember, of course that he came up as SP.

I know K-Rod suffered what was considered to be a minor back injury that year but who knows if that bothered him.

Thigpen I have nothing.

Either way, interesting information. Thank you for providing.

I don't have an answer for the blown saves. I am going to chalk it up to being human and see what happens the next couple of times. I guess the good news is that we have Pedro waiting in the event Jimmy fails. (KIDDING)

Archived