Is Jim Johnson sick?

Baxter

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He needs to start going to his curve more until he starts getting the ball down. Needs to try something else to mix in. Hitters are sitting on him getting the ball up.

But for that to work he has to be able to throw his curve for strikes. Otherwise he just falls behind in the count and hitters can sit on the fastball even more.

Couldn't agree more.

I wonder what ever happened to the idea of not believing in the save rule for this pitching staff.

That was just for when he took over the team to enforce the idea that everyone's job was in jeopardy. Once he was settled in it disappeared.

That was just for when he took over the team to enforce the idea that everyone's job was in jeopardy. Once he was settled in it disappeared.

That was also when Kevin Gregg was the closer. It's a little easier to believe in the win rule when Captain Chaos is in there at the end of games, and not the guy who set the franchise record for consecutive saves.

I have a strong desire to spend a couple of hours tomorrow morning digging up and bumping every thread where folks called Johnson an elite closer and said he was off limits in trades and had to be extended long term.

This might be one of them. It's Jim Johnson-related, anyway.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/132088-We-shouldn-t-take-Jim-Johnson-for-granted

Couldn't agree more.

I wonder what ever happened to the idea of not believing in the save rule for this pitching staff.

That was also when Kevin Gregg was the closer. It's a little easier to believe in the win rule when Captain Chaos is in there at the end of games, and not the guy who set the franchise record for consecutive saves.

Actually it pre-dated Gregg. Buck said that quote when Alfredo Simon was the closer in 2010.

Specifically, it came after the first game he ever managed with the Orioles, on August 3, 2010. The O's had a 6-3 lead entering the ninth, so it would've been a save situation if he had brought in Simon, but instead he left Mike Gonzalez in the game to face two lefty hitters, then brought in Simon for the last out against a right-hander (which didn't qualify him for the save).

However, waroriole's point is valid. It was easier for Buck to brush off the closer when it was the erratic Alfredo Simon, rather than the usually automatic Jim Johnson.

One thing I noticed with Johnson last night is that he was taking an unusually long time between pitches. Normally he's more of a "get the ball, throw the ball" type of pitcher, but his pace was noticeably slower last night. Seemed like he was hoping that slowing things down would help him.

Archived