Meltdown thread

crowmst3k!

I said this in the game thread, but I'll say it again. Watching guys like Hafner, Wells, and Overbay beat us makes me sick. Seriously, when are the Yankees going to get old and start to suck??!! Why are thy immune to this? Half their roster hasn't been relevant since the Bush administration, yet they sign with the Yankees and its like they're the second coming of Mickey Mantle!

Agree with this. I can stomach it when we lose to a team of high salary all stars, but watching guys who haven't been good for years beat us is terrible.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know one thing, something has to be done about the game thread hacking. Every time something bad happens in the game, the server shuts down.

People are paying to use this website and the game thread is a huge part of it. Most websites have protection against this kind of crap - it's time for the OH to either upgrade the servers or upgrade its defenses. This is a nightly occurrence and it needs to be addressed. It's a joke right now.

/non-O's related rant over

On an Orioles note, the amount of people jumping ship on Jim Johnson is sickening. "He's lost confidence" has to be the most idiotic statement because it's impossible to know if he has. You can't site sabremetrics in one breath and then give me pseudo psycho babble about his confidence. Rubbish.

That said, it's time to give JJ a break - and I mean from pitching. He shouldn't close the next game, especially if it's tomorrow. Matusz and Patton would also do well to stop sucking. The O's need to be in win-at-all-costs mode.

Hear hear with regard to the crashing of the site!

I know one thing, something has to be done about the game thread hacking. Every time something bad happens in the game, the server shuts down.

People are paying to use this website and the game thread is a huge part of it. Most websites have protection against this kind of crap - it's time for the OH to either upgrade the servers or upgrade its defenses. This is a nightly occurrence and it needs to be addressed. It's a joke right now.

On an Orioles note, the amount of people jumping ship on Jim Johnson is sickening. "He's lost confidence" has to be the most idiotic statement because it's impossible to know if he has. You can't site sabremetrics in one breath and then give me pseudo psycho babble about his confidence. Rubbish.

That said, it's time to give JJ a break - and I mean from pitching. He shouldn't close the next game, especially if it's tomorrow. Matusz and Patton would also do well to stop sucking. The O's need to be in win-at-all-costs mode.

I must admit, this is getting pretty frustrating. Hope it gets fixed soon, since it's been a long-standing problem.

Having sat through Saturday's meltdown in the 9th and tonight's follow-up by JJ it's hard to be positive right now. I sit near people who are devoted Oriole fans. Saturday night was more difficult for them than me because I don't go to every game and travel on the road to visiting cities to watch them play. Someday that will happen. These devoted fans were not there tonight. They go to most of the games and saw Fridays loss along with Saturdays and yesterdays and two against San Diego. All losses. I only have a 29 game plan. They were so upset Saturday night after the Tampa 6 run 9th they got up and left and didn't wait for the Orioles to bat. I've never seen them leave early and this upset.

Buck needs to give JJ a rest for a few days. When I saw Cano scheduled to lead off in the 9th tonight I thought he should let Matusz start the inning and let him pitch to Cano a lefty. Instead he brings in JJ who is mentally fried right now. I missed the blown save he had earlier in the week and now have seen in person two more since Saturday night. These are tough losses against AL East teams you have to beat. JJ was overthrowing Saturday like he was trying to hit 100 on the gun.

4 solo HR's tonight by the Yankees. The HR that Overbay hit was crushed. When Patton threw him what appeared to be an off speed pitch he crushed it like he knew it was coming. Patton and Wieters did a double take like he had stolen the sign from the OF somehow.

Buck said on his postgame he will run JJ out there again Tuesday night if he is needed. Buck! Do yourself and the box office a favor abdd

I was wondering about that. It is crazy, I just thought it was my own computer or wifi signal!

As for JJ, I wish Buck had thought that way tonight, when it made the most sense with Lefty-lefty matchups....BUT, I also understand why he COULDN'T. JJ has had extra days to think about and stir on his blown saves the past few times, not going to him ASAP and giving him a chance to erase those negative thoughts at the first chance would be suicidal from a "we need him the rest of the way" point. We know this is more a mental game than physical, and that's the game Buck was playing tonight. He just got hosed from a single bad pitch by JJ.

Agree with this. I can stomach it when we lose to a team of high salary all stars, but watching guys who haven't been good for years beat us is terrible.

I just started watching baseball again after taking many years "off". Here's how many: I used to be a Phillies fan, in the Mitch Williams era. So I'm used to my team's bats going cold, and worse--closers totally choking when it counts (hello, 1993 World Series).

So, I'm at a disadvantage when it comes to knowing the retreads currently occupying the Yankees lineup. But even I can see that they are winning. They are beating a lot of people. Yes, our bullpen crapped out last night. But our starter held his own long enough for us to get him some run support--and we left 7 risp. Several were on third at the end of innings. Just getting half those guys in like we were doing out west would have won the game, b/c NY pretty much had to rely on homers to get runs. Manny had a bad, bad night, and Adam wasn't so hot either. That 1st base umpire was on the Yanks' payroll, and I know the match-up wasn't great, but where was Nate? He could have stood up to CC's fire well enough.

Hey--we're due for a big win. Nobody wants to shut up those nasty Yankee bandwagoners who clog Orioles park more than the O's. Just my $0.02.

Understatement.

I do some web design and security work and I can tell you that DoS (denial of service) attacks (assuming thats whats happening here) can be difficult to handle.

I don't know how OH is hosted (if they maintain their own servers or use a private server through a provider) but regardless of how it is hosted it can take a fair amount of work to prevent these attacks depending on how sophisticated the attack is. If its a server they maintain it can be expensive and time consuming to get the protection right and if its through a hosting company then it can frustrating as it adds another layer of people you have to work through to get things right. Even with protection companies like Google, MS, Yahoo, CNN, Fox, ESPN have all experienced these issues and attacks. They just happen to have 24 hour a day engineers on hand.

I get that people pay and understandably expect to have access. I also have to imagine that nobody wants to see these issues resolved more than the OH staff. Be patient is all I am saying and I am sure they will figure it out.

Not trying to speak for OH staff or anything just trying to give a little insight based on personal experience dealing with these issues.

Archived