Anyone else starting to get worried?

sfosfan

I'm worried, but not overly so. If we continue to get starting pitching that can't get through 6 innings, we're going to be toast anyway.

If Jim Johnson was his normal self, we'd be 2-3 in this homestand. Nothing to write home about, but certainly not the end of the world. He was due to run into some bad times as the season rolls along, and I think we'll be fine after a bit of a rough patch.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two things -

(1) "Big Picture" Perspective - Damn, after 14 years of hell, this is all good....DD and Buck have the ship sailing in the right direction, and this is a Good team - maybe not a great team (yet) - and all good teams have a chance....

(2) As other respected posters (Frobby, Weams) have pointed out, the 2012 Orioles started off 26-14 (May 18th) but then skidded 16-23 and were only five games over (42-37) as late as July 2nd....Yes yes, the starting pitching needs to significantly improve but it's a long season, guys....I genuinely believe this is a good team and have confidence they'll straighten it out....this doesn't guarantee a playoff spot, but I certainly think we'll play much better...we haven't fully peaked yet.

Last year, after Hunter, Arrieta and Matusz had bombed out, Tillman and Gonzalez stepped in along with solid contributions from Britton, S. Johnson and Saunders which stabilized the rotation allowing the late season run to the playoffs. This year we're probably going to need the same type of thing with Arrieta and possibly Hammel bombing out. The question is, who will be this year's Tillman and Gonzalez? We have plenty of candidates so we'll see if one or two can step in and get the job done.

Worried yes, panicking no. Once Chen is back that will help. Hoping Gonzalez can help out. He will be better than Garcia/Jurrjems regardless. I would be panicking if we were pitching this badly and all our pitchers were healthy.

Really not that worried. Long season. 5 game skid stinks, but the team had 2 of them won but for JJ, those are wins almost every time.

Getting Chen and Gonzo back will solve a lot of problems.

Only guy I'm really concerned about right now is Hammel.

Slightly concerned, but not yet worried.

We had two wins that we should have gotten if not for blown saves.

We faced an 8-0 pitcher yesterday in Moore.

We faced a HOT Tampa team that was on fire at the plate, and yet even down by 8 on Friday we showed signs of life with a 6 run 8th inning.

So yeah, while I'm concerned I'm not yet counting the days til Training Camp.

That said, I am looking at loss number 6 tonight. Freddy Garcia vs CC is a disaster waiting to happen.

Interesting how the last time you posted about the Orioles, it was when they were 6-6 and you could dig in your claws about how terrible the team was. Then you disappeared from the board entirely as they got better and better and went 8 games over .500. Now the team is in a losing streak and, somehow, you're back!

You're right. I can't see how anyone could possibly think you're a troll.

:agree: and I'm very proud of myself that I was able to not respond to that post!

I don't feel like Buck and DD only have 'scraps to work with." The payroll is respectable and Angelos has shown a willingness to spend on mid-level bats, bullpen arms and has shown a willingness to spend on and reward homegrown players.

I don't, for one second, think that if DD and Buck were given impossible odds, that they would have re-signed. Heck, we already know for a fact, thanks to last year, that winning within these parameters is possible. With that being said, you can't foresee any scenario where DD and Buck would want more autonomy then they have been given? That they wouldn't like to leave less to chance and health?

My issue with Angelos is that he does not believe in spending big on starting pitching. Ever. (And has stated so publicly) Sure it has been a while since he has said these things, but have his actions and the team's direction shown any deviation to this prior stated belief of his?

Sure, there's risk and some of these contracts starters have received have blown up in other teams faces, but what are the O's to do if they can't consistently (or really, at all thus far) draft and develop a "TOR" starter, nor willing to ever pay for one?

This doesn't strike you as problematic?

While its common knowledge that Angelos has said this in the past, its also been stated numerous times by Double D himself that he (Duquette) does not like to give out contracts to pitchers for more than three years. So some can continue to blame Angelos all they want, but Duquette is the one making those decisions right now.

The problem is we have the starting pitching capable of going on a 5 G losing streak, but we don't have the starting pitching capable of sustaining a 5 G winning streak.

Really, Hammel is the big X-factor right now. I feel just fine about Chen/Gonzo/Tillman. Eventually we'll be able to find someone to give some respectability to the 5 spot. But Hammel really is the big swing guy right now. He doesn't need to be as good as last year, but he needs to be much better than he's been recently (obviously).

While its common knowledge that Angelos has said this in the past, its also been stated numerous times by Double D himself that he (Duquette) does not like to give out contracts to pitchers for more than three years. So some can continue to blame Angelos all they want, but Duquette is the one making those decisions right now.

Forget PA and DD. What SP has been worth more than 3/45 recently? I wouldn't do it either. SP is just to mercurial. Look at Halliday. Price. etc.

Archived