Who you Gonna Trade?

weams

For the purposes of this thread, conversion of existing players is not a possibility. Would you trade Jim Johnson to someone who might convert him?
No we are still a playoff team IMO, and JJ is still a good closer. I'd think about converting him over the winter if you won't let me do it now.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Britton, Arrieta, S.Johnson, Hoes, Avery, Delmonico, guys like that.

Yeah. I think you get guys like that back unfortunately. To take on the risk associated with those fringy folks, I speculate that you get nothing of value.

Trades don't occur that way from what I have seem and remembered from my life. Jason Werth never was valued until he was. I really don't believe that you can take failed parts and make a "Hot Stew Saturday."

I disagree. If a player is told, "this is your role, from now on", it usually goes a long way. Especially, if that player has talent. It gives them more of a determined effort in their play. Shipping a guy back and forth between Triple A at the same time telling you believe them does nothing. Tell them what they are and give them a better chance to flourish.

Duque XM keeps makiing reference to the big piece they almost gave up for Dickey last winter. Who might that have been? Can't believe it was Bundy and Gausmann wasn't tradable then. So Schoop? A package involving him, Strop, and Arrieta/Britton?

Schoop, Strop, Arrieta, and Britton isn't a big package. Strop is an eratic reliever and Schoop is an Ok prospect. The other two aren't worth their salaries. Would you trade a Cy Young winner for that lot? I highly doubt it.

I disagree. If a player is told, "this is your role, from now on", it usually goes a long way. Especially, if that player has talent. It gives them more of a determined effort in their play. Shipping a guy back and forth between Triple A at the same time telling you believe them does nothing. Tell them what they are and give them a better chance to flourish.

And who did that? You mean with Werth?

Yeah. I think you get guys like that back unfortunately. To take on the risk associated with those fringy folks, I speculate that you get nothing of value.
A back end innings eater who can give us a sub 4.50 ERA at #5 SP is plenty of value. We aren't a rebuilding teaM, and currently we are getting a 7.00 + ERA from #5SP. Norris, Feldman, Lilly, Capuano> Arrieta, Britton, Garcia, Johnson, Jurrjens, IMO.

A back end innings eater who can give us a sub 4.50 ERA at #5 SP is plenty of value. We aren't a rebuilding teaM, and currently we are getting a 7.00 + ERA from #5SP.

Ok. I could believe you could get that.

I would love Cashner and Alonso. Might take alot to get them. The question is if you want somebody good you might hurt the team in other areas.
I like the Scott Feldman idea better. Those two would cost more than we can afford to give up.

I would love Cashner and Alonso. Might take alot to get them. The question is if you want somebody good you might hurt the team in other areas.

And that is the primary purpose of this tread. To see if there is someone that has great value, who could bring someone great back, and yet would not hurt the team to lose. Or cause thousands of Mark Reynolds thread to pop up afterwards.

And that is the primary purpose of this tread. To see if there is someone that has great value, who could bring someone great back, and yet would not hurt the team to lose. Or cause thousands of Mark Reynolds thread to pop up afterwards.
Depends on how you define great value. Something we really need right now to avoid a big skid the next 3 weeks is of great value to me. If I didn't expect to make the playoffs then they wouldn't be.

At this point Gausman and Schoop are our most desirable pieces which is most likely why they will remain in the minors for the foreseeable future. I would not be abject to trading them together if we could get an ace caliber pitcher in here. Im glad DD didn't pull the trigger on Dickey, having an aging knuckleballer as your ace has fail written all over it.

And people think the Phillies are delusional for not being in sell-mode. Meanwhile, we're just as bad as them right now.

And yet, that is not what I intended this thread as. Who would you trade to improve this 2013 Orioles team that has lost five games in a row. Not who would you get, or if it delusional to try. But Who. Specifically do you think that we could trade and improve this team short term.

The Phillies have some very bloated contract that many think they should unload for future health. That is why so many think they are delusional. I agree, that a person could make the case for the Orioles punting this season. That was not my purpose in asking this question though.

At this point Gausman and Schoop are our most desirable pieces which is most likely why they will remain in the minors for the foreseeable future. I would not be abject to trading them together if we could get an ace caliber pitcher in here. Im glad DD didn't pull the trigger on Dickey, having an aging knuckleballer as your ace has fail written all over it.

If Schoop can play second base well I would keep him. We have a need at that position. We also have a need at pitcher so I would keep Gausman. Sadly we don't have minor league depth to trade players that other teams would want in return for quality players.

Archived