Time for a new closer, Johnson's time has come

ADZ23

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The quote was from when he took over the team in 2010.

Once he had established himself with the team he went back to robo-managing the 9th inning like everyone else.

Or, could it be that Jim Johnson has been so good that he thinks having him in for the 9th gives his team the best chance to win? I'd call it robo-managing if you follow the "save rule" without a dominant closer. I would call it common sense if you do it with a guy who has been lights out. Johnson is struggling now, so it's up to them to figure out why and how to fix it.

Or, could it be that Jim Johnson has been so good that he thinks having him in for the 9th gives his team the best chance to win? I'd call it robo-managing if you follow the "save rule" without a dominant closer. I would call it common sense if you do it with a guy who has been lights out. Johnson is struggling now, so it's up to them to figure out why and how to fix it.

Then explain 2011.

Folks like to act like 2011 never happened.

It seems whatever greatness Johnson had has left him. It started in the playoss last year. Just can't trust him anymore unfortunately.

Or...ya know...he's lost his command in his last three outings. I'd be worried if the stuff wasn't there, but it is.

I will admit that there's a mental part of this that concerns me a little. When he hit 97 last night, it was obvious that he was trying so hard to be good. It's basically the pitching equivalent to gripping the bat too hard, and he needs to relax and trust his stuff. He does that, and he'll be fine.

We don't have to write off JJ, but he needs to take a break from save opportunities for a while. Even the best closers blow a save every now and then, but three in a row is a trend. He's lost command of his breaking stuff and he's leaving his fastball up in the zone. You can't keep letting him lose games while he's pitching this badly.

Let JJ work in low leverage situations for a while and go to a closer-by-committee for two or three weeks--O'Day, Matusz, Strop and Hunter can all get opportunities here and there. Once JJ regains command of all his pitches, ease him back into higher leverage situations.

I gotta agree with closer-by-committee until Jim gets his Johnson back.

I'm not saying not to use Johnson in close situaitnos, just be more matchup oriented and if the 8th inning guy was successful, keep him in the the 9th.

Remember this Buck, the 'Win Rule' trumps the 'Save Rule' every time.

I do think it's funny that robo-managing with a designated closer got the O's a 2012 WPA that was so far off the charts they had to make a new chart, but this year it's mindless stupidity.

I am on record as being opposed to the very concept of closers since before Buck was manager. I advocated looking into trading JJ during the season last year and during the offseason.

This is not me being reactionary.

Archived