What is the matter with you people?

Moose Milligan

This is absolutely nuts...I have been on this board since the 90s and I have never seen anything like this. People are posting thoughts and opinions that are just made up to make things seem worse than they are right now. We lost 6 straight...yes...but before that we were tied with Boston and 1 game behind St.Louis for the best record in baseball. And on top of all this 3 of the 6 losses were blown saves. If you convert 2 or all 3 of those we are .500 and no one is posting the BS that I have seen here over the last week.

We have the best offense, defense and bullpen in the AL East, and the worst starting pitching, but it will all come together.

Nuts I tell ya!!!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
His numbers are free-falling. You are reactionary. His numbers over the last 3 seasons were absoutely horrible. His numbers this season will be absolutely horrible. One hot month doesn't make him good. Last year he had one hot month as well. just this year it was at the begining of the year.

But you will never get him to agree with you about Reynolds.

To him and others Reynolds would be a savior of the team. I liked Mark when he

was part of the O's. IMO

Oh, and for a comparison, here is the pitching rankings for the same splits, O's of 2012:

Late/Close*:

*The seventh inning or later with the batting team ahead by one, tied, or has the tying run on base, at bat or on deck.

AVG: .220 (5)

OBP: .286 (4)

SLG: .302 (2)

OPS: .587 (1)

ERA: 2.16 (1)

WHIP: 1.12 (3-T)

RUNS: 51 (3)

9th Inning Or Later:

AVG: .220 (9-T)

OBP: .281 (4)

SLG: .317 (7)

OPS: .597 (4)

ERA: 2.07 ERA (3)

WHIP: 1.06 (2)

RUNS: 52 (9)

That's an insane drop-off. Team ERA in late/close situations is more than double last year's at the moment.

Thank you for posting this. The bullpen has been a blight on this season so far, and the starting pitching hasn't been much better, incapable of giving the pen a rest. This is why we are - and will continue to be - susceptible to 6-game losing streaks. I think we also lead the majors in blown saves.

What's difficult is that over the course of a little more than a full season, several players have turned in both great pitching performances and crappy ones. It's tough to judge what you have when the results are so scattered...

The offense and defense have been solid, maybe even slightly better than solid. We don't miss Mark Reynolds as much as we miss a couple of stud arms in rotation and pen... I think Gausman will be up by the AS break and, I think if he proves to be uninjured, we'll see Bundy by August/September.

I'm no fair weather fan; I've been rooting for the O's since '72. But as someone who's also played the game my entire life, I don't understand how any fan can look at the pitching so far this season and not be worried. We have no clear #1 or #2 starter, but rather a bunch of #3 - #5 guys. And if Johnson blows a couple more saves in the coming weeks, he'll lose the confidence of his teammates, and then Buck will have to make a switch. A closer's life is all or nothing, and when it's nothing, it's horrible. But that's how it works.

Guest rochester
Good God, one awesome season and it's like Sons of Sam Horn around here when the slightest bit of adversity comes our way. This is how you deal with a losing streak? This is how you react?

If anything, this fan base should have an iron stomach after getting kicked in the nuts repeatedly for the previous 14 years leading up to the 2012 season. And this is how we're reacting?

One losing streak doesn't wash away everything that was built over the past year. Yes, the starting pitching is depleted but if you want to look at something positive from yesterday, at least Freddy Garcia gave us a strong start. Davis is still mashing. Nick looks like he could be heating up again.

Sack up and remember how things used to be. This is how you react when JJ has lost his groove? Man, I know who I'd want in my corner if I was in some trouble and it's not many of you.

We found out a month ago that my sister-in-law has a fatal brain cancer - I am frustrated by the O's but....

Good God, one awesome season and it's like Sons of Sam Horn around here when the slightest bit of adversity comes our way. This is how you deal with a losing streak? This is how you react?

If anything, this fan base should have an iron stomach after getting kicked in the nuts repeatedly for the previous 14 years leading up to the 2012 season. And this is how we're reacting?

One losing streak doesn't wash away everything that was built over the past year. Yes, the starting pitching is depleted but if you want to look at something positive from yesterday, at least Freddy Garcia gave us a strong start. Davis is still mashing. Nick looks like he could be heating up again.

Sack up and remember how things used to be. This is how you react when JJ has lost his groove? Man, I know who I'd want in my corner if I was in some trouble and it's not many of you.

This is just how sports works. For the most part the average mood of any fanbase in any given point in the season is a kind of fatalistic depression. I'm sure 40% of the Yanks fans framed last night as a bunch of retreads on the verge of collapse happening to win against a very mediocre O's team despite their so-called ace allowing the sorry bunch to take the lead.

was part of the O's. IMO

Here is how I see it. When you go into the season with Flaherty and Roberts at 2B your asking for trouble. People warned about it and it has predictably come to pass. People on here warned about the idea of Betemit and whatever scrub (Peace, Reimold, Valencia) filling the DH role and again predictably the issue has come to pass. Many many people warned about the idea of relying on Arrieta, Matusz or Britton to be the #5 and yet again it cam to pass its a mess. Now that these things that have happened the very people who swore up and down how goofy the people who warned about such issues were want to sit there and say ... "well lets not talk about that again" " how could they know Betemit would be hurt" blah blah blah.

Fact is that players get hurt. When you depth is Pearce, Reimold, Flaherty, Casilla, Dickinson, Freddy Garcia, Arrieta, Britton, Jurrjens and other scrap heap guys like Stinson etc. your going to get exactly what we have from them which is essentially very little. This is how the O's of 5yrs ago who were not competitive should have and did treat their roster spots. If you want to seriously be considered a WS contender you have to treat those spots with more respect and fill them with better players. Say what you will about the Yanks but Wells, Halfner, Overbay are light years better than the guys we trot out there.

When you get little to nothing from 2 spots in your lineup when the guys who do produce go into slumps your going to see uneven offense performances. Its not ok to say we are the 5th best offense in the majors when we could easily be the best had we invested in a couple decent players. Its not ok to trot out 11 starters in 44 games and expect to be taken seriously. Arrieta should have been at AAA working things out at the START of the year and up here to replace Gonzo/Chen when they got hurt. Depth can make a good team great or a good team mediocre. Last year was the exception to the rule, we got lucky and hit on some guys. This year things are more the norm for what you get when you run out castoffs as starters.

I love this team. I think DD wanted to add some pieces. He repeatedly said it this offseason. Why it did not happen I think has more to do with ownership being cheap and not wanting to spend the extra 10-15 million it would have taken to bring a few strategic pieces that would have provided a much better quality margin of error. It is what it is but lets not pretend like it was optimal. This team can win, they can be good but they could have been and should have been better.

I agree here. The OH has always held itself at a higher standard than other boards. It's disappointing what one good season can do to the psyche around here. We're all frustrated, though. I just don't agree with throwing players under the bus and making up things like "he's lost confidence" when really "he's lost command of the fastball", and that's all.

This is true. JJ has been a productive guy. I have no prob though being critical of some of the choices that lead to us using 11 starters barely a 1/4 of the way through the season or that has lead to guys like Flaherty, Casilla, Pearce, Dickinson, Valencia, Reimold getting the number of AB they have. That to me is the real problem.

Here is how I see it. When you go into the season with Flaherty and Roberts at 2B your asking for trouble. People warned about it and it has predictably come to pass. People on here warned about the idea of Betemit and whatever scrub (Peace, Reimold, Valencia) filling the DH role and again predictably the issue has come to pass. Many many people warned about the idea of relying on Arrieta, Matusz or Britton to be the #5 and yet again it cam to pass its a mess. Now that these things that have happened the very people who swore up and down how goofy the people who warned about such issues were want to sit there and say ... "well lets not talk about that again" " how could they know Betemit would be hurt" blah blah blah.

Fact is that players get hurt. When you depth is Pearce, Reimold, Flaherty, Casilla, Dickinson, Freddy Garcia, Arrieta, Britton, Jurrjens and other scrap heap guys like Stinson etc. your going to get exactly what we have from them which is essentially very little. This is how the O's of 5yrs ago who were not competitive should have and did treat their roster spots. If you want to seriously be considered a WS contender you have to treat those spots with more respect and fill them with better players. Say what you will about the Yanks but Wells, Halfner, Overbay are light years better than the guys we trot out there.

When you get little to nothing from 2 spots in your lineup when the guys who do produce go into slumps your going to see uneven offense performances. Its not ok to say we are the 5th best offense in the majors when we could easily be the best had we invested in a couple decent players. Its not ok to trot out 11 starters in 44 games and expect to be taken seriously. Arrieta should have been at AAA working things out at the START of the year and up here to replace Gonzo/Chen when they got hurt. Depth can make a good team great or a good team mediocre. Last year was the exception to the rule, we got lucky and hit on some guys. This year things are more the norm for what you get when you run out castoffs as starters.

I love this team. I think DD wanted to add some pieces. He repeatedly said it this offseason. Why it did not happen I think has more to do with ownership being cheap and not wanting to spend the extra 10-15 million it would have taken to bring a few strategic pieces that would have provided a much better quality margin of error. It is what it is but lets not pretend like it was optimal. This team can win, they can be good but they could have been and should have been better.

Hey man, did we quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

BTW, I agree with yoiu. Relying on Roberts and Reimold was a fool's dream. Upgrades at at least two of the three spots identified (2B, DH and SP) should have clear priorities in the offseason, and it turns out we did nothing in all three categories. Standing pat has, at least initially, come back to bite us. That's just how it is. And we move on. But it's weird to see so many people who in the offseason were saying how great we were as constructed get so upset at why we're not better now. It was there to understand and come to grips with in March... So, barring some crafty mid-season moves from DD, one can only hope the players out there get better and become more consistent. (But if they don't, I would have to imagine that the offseason ahead will be a bit more active)

It could be worse. They could still be the St Louis Browns. I only get pissed when I think the players aren't giving it everything, or the manager is making stupid mistakes, or the GM is missing glaring opportunities to improve the club. I don't see anything like that happening. They have played fairly well as a team over the losing streak.

I will assume this is some sorta joke.

BTW, I agree with yoiu. Relying on Roberts and Reimold was a fool's dream. Upgrades at at least two of the three spots identified (2B, DH and SP) should have clear priorities in the offseason, and it turns out we did nothing in all three categories. Standing pat has, at least initially, come back to bite us. That's just how it is. And we move on. But it's weird to see so many people who in the offseason were saying how great we were as constructed get so upset at why we're not better now. It was there to understand and come to grips with in March... So, barring some crafty mid-season moves from DD, one can only hope the players out there get better and become more consistent. (But if they don't, I would have to imagine that the offseason ahead will be a bit more active)

Actually it is completely understandable why those who were saying we were so great are complaining now. To them the team is underperforming. Those of us who didn't think this team was considerably better than .500 are basically getting exactly what they expected.

Yup agree with you here. It is what it is at this point. Its going to be hard to address via trade any of these issues in May. This team has an excellent core to build around IMO. They could easily be 25-19 or 26-18 etc. Right now they just have to stay close and I do think they can. All the Cliff Lee talk is fine and dandy but really if this team can get a guy who is a solid 3/4 SP and inning eater plus a decent bat at either 2B /DH they can make a good run in the second half and have a competitive playoff roster. Still hopeful just think some of the choices made this offseason have made life more difficult than it really needed to be.

Before this losing streak I was just waiting for our starting pitching to fall apart because it's all #3-5 quality starters. But I definitely didn't expect JJ to fall apart. Look this is a .500 team with a great offense with a couple big holes and a bad starting rotation. We need two new starting pitchers from some combination of free agency and minor league prospect, a second baseman, and probably an outfielder. I know that's easier said than done but we really are a few missing pieces away from being one of the best teams in baseball but we have got to put some money down this offseason to make it happen before we lose all our cheap young talent.

was part of the O's. IMO

You guys are such excellent debaters. I simply responded the statement "horrible numbers" with the data. Mark Reynolds would be second in OPS on this years roster. Mark Reynolds career OPS is higher than every Oriole except Nick Markakis. Mark Reynolds for 2010 - 2012 (.775) is higher than any Oriole in the same 3 year period except Jones(.796) and Markakis(.791)

I don't think Mark Reynolds would be having that big an impact on the O's season (seeing he doesn't pitch) but his numbers have never at any point in his career been "horrible" .

Early POTY candidate?

This is not SOSH or the MLB forums. The game threads have become bastions of futility and pure misery. People outright insulting a player who was the best at his position last year.

Guess I'm not a "What have you done for me lately" baseball fan.

I avoid game threads. I like to watch a game on TV and hear the play by play. I wouldn't find any entertainment in trying to watch the game while trying to read hundreds of posts by managerial wannabees and guys who think they should be the GM. I just don't need the headache.

Besides, I wouldn't want to be the straw that crashes the server's back.

Yup agree with you here. It is what it is at this point. Its going to be hard to address via trade any of these issues in May. This team has an excellent core to build around IMO. They could easily be 25-19 or 26-18 etc. Right now they just have to stay close and I do think they can. All the Cliff Lee talk is fine and dandy but really if this team can get a guy who is a solid 3/4 SP and inning eater plus a decent bat at either 2B /DH they can make a good run in the second half and have a competitive playoff roster. Still hopeful just think some of the choices made this offseason have made life more difficult than it really needed to be.
Gausman. I ordinarily would want him to stay down until after the ASB, but we need help now, and I think he could give us at least a solid #4-5 level performance. Don't think the bat is nearly as important. With Valencia, Pearce, Dickerson, and others in Norfolk we can make do until Betemit is back, or we trade for someone like Konerko at the deadline.

Archived