What is the matter with you people?

Moose Milligan

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's ok to be upset about the losing. I am upset about losing. But 3 games has erased 2012 and the first 14 saves of this year for some people. Hardly seems rational.

Additionally, my guess is that we have won a game or two we had no business winning too.

Exactly. I mean, really people, it's called perspective. I'm as upset as anyone about losing 6 games in a row. But it's mostly been on Jim Johnson. If he converts the saves, like he had done 35 straight times, we're 26-18 instead of 23-21. So unless you think he's suddenly Mark Wohlers, he's not going to keep blowing games.

People who are diving off, playing the "what if" game, slamming DD.. JJ and Buck are bandwagon fans OR immature. Maybe I don't have the ardor or pure passion that I had for the team when I was 14... but I am not 14 anymore. It is just sports and there is no barometer for how much someone likes the team. We LOVE the team. However we cannot look at every few games and make definitive CLAIMS on how the season is going to turn out. Let the games be played and then AFTER the season we can analyze and deconstruct the efforts of the front office, the manager and the players. Things have changed, the hot stove season lasts ALL YEAR.

I think that the team is pretty good. Not the great teams of yesteryear, but again things are different. In an era when tons of guys get hurt(I thought today's athletes were superior, but it seems that evidence and anecdotal views are that the guys are too "in shape", they never let their bodies rest.) Where are the days when guys worked themselves into shape during spring training? So the "new Oriole Way" of having a 50 man roster might be the new paradigm. The only part of the new way maybe that we are built for the 162 game schedule and NOT for the playoffs. But I, for one will enjoy the games, be happy when they win, ticked when they lose and assess it AFTER the season. The only way to keep your sanity.

I think there is evidence that this losing streak points to bigger issues with this team. Poor SP, although we have gotten 2 decent starts in a row, and a bullpen that's shaky at best. To cap it off, our closer is just getting hammered.

Meanwhile, the RISP success is tapering off and injuries are weakening the team seemingly every week.

It doesn't mean they're going to lose 100 games but the possibility of a playoff berth seems more and more unlikely, especially when you look around the rest of the AL and see teams like Cleveland, Detroit, Oakland, Texas, Boston, NY and TB playing well.

Bingo. Those are my feelings as well.

I don't think we're returning to the dark years.

I'm just afraid that all those people who said "they won't go 29-9 in one run games" might actually be right. We barely made the playoffs as a wild card team last year. We don't have a whole lot of room for error, especially in the al east with the sox, yanks and a resurgent rays team.

With that in mind, when you take our recent results and our enemies recent results into mind, it's not a stretch to think we are in trouble even if it is very early.

We lost 2 at home to San Diego (who most other al east teams beat like a drum), 3 at home to the rays and now one at home to the yanks. A 6 game losing streak at home is not good. It's even worse when you consider how we lost and who we lost too.

Last year we played nearly perfect baseball down the stretch and still barely made the playoffs. But many of our fans thought that was something to build on to make a great run next year!

Instead, we signed no one or any real value in the offseason besides veteran scrap heaps and retreads and we are now paying the price for our cheap owner refusing to buy a few major league level players to bolster a strong team.

It's really really sad when it looks like your best offseason acquisition was alexi Casilla. Am I wrong about that? It just seems like a huge missed opportunity to take advantage of a solid core of players by adding some additional talent.

Instead we signed guys like Garcia, Jurrjens, canzler, Jackson, Valencia (although he's doing alright so far), Casilla, Navarro etc.

It's not the losing streak that has us upset.....it's the realization that there might just not be enough pitching or relief pitching on this team to pull off a playoff birth again this year.

We all hope we can do it.....but sadly, right now it's not looking like we have the horses to get there. The Red Sox got Lester and bucholz back to their old form and the Yankees are getting insane production from some old vets, but they'll starting getting key pieces back eventually and will be right there in the end.

The real troubling part is the rays. They got longoria back and if he stays healthy all year and loney and zobrist stay consistent, with that teams pitching, they are going to steal some of those wins we got last year. They already just swept us at home. Eventually they will call up will Myers and then they will be set.

Why do I bring all this up? Because the al east is going to cannabalize itself and that wild card may not be there for the O's this year, which means we need to win the al east.

If you're being honest, that is looking less and less likely every day. The rah rah stuff is great, I get it, it's the easiest thing in the world to just ignore reality and tell people "stop whining and support the team"......but it's pointless. We ALL support the team and want them to win every night! But taking a step back, and a good hard look at the team, is a more difficult proposition. It makes you face some unpleasant truths and right now, this team is struggling.

It doesn't make anyone a bad fan to take notice of this or to be upset that our team didnt add some more significant pieces during the offseason.

I will assume this is some sorta joke.

Actually it is completely understandable why those who were saying we were so great are complaining now. To them the team is underperforming. Those of us who didn't think this team was considerably better than .500 are basically getting exactly what they expected.

The reference to the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor is from Animal House....

Bingo. Those are my feelings as well.

I don't think we're returning to the dark years.

I'm just afraid that all those people who said "they won't go 29-9 in one run games" might actually be right. We barely made the playoffs as a wild card team last year. We don't have a whole lot of room for error, especially in the al east with the sox, yanks and a resurgent rays team.

With that in mind, when you take our recent results and our enemies recent results into mind, it's not a stretch to think we are in trouble even if it is very early.

We lost 2 at home to San Diego (who most other al east teams beat like a drum), 3 at home to the rays and now one at home to the yanks. A 6 game losing streak at home is not good. It's even worse when you consider how we lost and who we lost too.

Last year we played nearly perfect baseball down the stretch and still barely made the playoffs. But many of our fans thought that was something to build on to make a great run next year!

Instead, we signed no one or any real value in the offseason besides veteran scrap heaps and retreads and we are now paying the price for our cheap owner refusing to buy a few major league level players to bolster a strong team.

It's really really sad when it looks like your best offseason acquisition was alexi Casilla. Am I wrong about that? It just seems like a huge missed opportunity to take advantage of a solid core of players by adding some additional talent.

Instead we signed guys like Garcia, Jurrjens, canzler, Jackson, Valencia (although he's doing alright so far), Casilla, Navarro etc.

It's not the losing streak that has us upset.....it's the realization that there might just not be enough pitching or relief pitching on this team to pull off a playoff birth again this year.

We all hope we can do it.....but sadly, right now it's not looking like we have the horses to get there. The Red Sox got Lester and bucholz back to their old form and the Yankees are getting insane production from some old vets, but they'll starting getting key pieces back eventually and will be right there in the end.

The real troubling part is the rays. They got longoria back and if he stays healthy all year and loney and zobrist stay consistent, with that teams pitching, they are going to steal some of those wins we got last year. They already just swept us at home. Eventually they will call up will Myers and then they will be set.

Why do I bring all this up? Because the al east is going to cannabalize itself and that wild card may not be there for the O's this year, which means we need to win the al east.

If you're being honest, that is looking less and less likely every day. The rah rah stuff is great, I get it, it's the easiest thing in the world to just ignore reality and tell people "stop whining and support the team"......but it's pointless. We ALL support the team and want them to win every night! But taking a step back, and a good hard look at the team, is a more difficult proposition. It makes you face some unpleasant truths and right now, this team is struggling.

It doesn't make anyone a bad fan to take notice of this or to be upset that our team didnt add some more significant pieces during the offseason.

Excellent observations. If Jurrjens was 8-1 and Steve Pearce was hitting .300 with 10 HR's there would be all sorts of threads about DD being a genius and there would be no complaints. But if all the off season scrap heap acquisitions are a bust, well................you're going to see just the opposite, I'm afraid.

It's not so much the extreme reaction that gets me, it's the disregard everybody starts having for everybody else (regardless of opinion) when the chips are down. It's every man for his or herself. It's a little disheartening. Look, we're all fans, okay. We see what's going on in different ways. Everyone forms their own opinions. But when the chips are down, we're like a pack of rabid wolves. There are certain other subjects this happens with, too, (mostly hot stove stuff, which is why I tend to give Orioles Talk a wide berth then), but it's the most obvious at times like these. So, please, whether you're ready to throw in the towel or weathering the storm (or whatever path you're moving along now), try and remember we're all technically on the same side here. That guy isn't an idiot because he still has hope, nor is that guy a moron because this is the end and he wants to sell the farm.

It's not so much the extreme reaction that gets me, it's the disregard everybody starts having for everybody else (regardless of opinion) when the chips are down. It's every man for his or herself. It's a little disheartening. Look, we're all fans, okay. We see what's going on in different ways. Everyone forms their own opinions. But when the chips are down, we're like a pack of rabid wolves. There are certain other subjects this happens with, too, (mostly hot stove stuff, which is why I tend to give Orioles Talk a wide berth then), but it's the most obvious at times like these. So, please, whether you're ready to throw in the towel or weathering the storm (or whatever path you're moving along now), try and remember we're all technically on the same side here. That guy isn't an idiot because he still has hope, nor is that guy a moron because this is the end and he wants to sell the farm.
Disagree with this. You never sell the farm unless you are a moron......or Syd Thrift

You are a king of the strawman. Everyone here was upset they lost. Nothing wrong with that.

What's wrong is the folks who pop in when something goes wrong to let everyone know how they saw it coming and obviously would have done everything differently.

There are indeed a few things that were easy to predict:

1) BRob injury

2) Reimold injury

3) SP rotation not enough

4) problematic depth

These aren't things anyone should be happy about or using as a way to demean other fans. It doesn't mean that someone is less of a fan for pointing out that we should have done more to attract a TOR starter or trade for one.

MSK

Rep +

You made the post of the season thus far.

MSK

There are indeed a few things that were easy to predict:

1) BRob injury

2) Reimold injury

3) SP rotation not enough

4) problematic depth

These aren't things anyone should be happy about or using as a way to demean other fans. It doesn't mean that someone is less of a fan for pointing out that we should have done more to attract a TOR starter or trade for one.

MSK

We should have got a few TOR's.

Disagree with this. You never sell the farm unless you are a moron......or Syd Thrift

LOL. Okay, but you know what I meant.

Rep +

You made the post of the season thus far.

MSK

Thank you, but please don't reference back to me when people get frustrated with you when they ask you the same question 3 or 4 times and you either answer it the same way or just don't answer it. ;)

Archived