Gausman being called up?????

barellano

I can see where there's skepticism because this is similar to the Matusz situation a few years ago. However, when Matusz came up he looked really good. With what he's doing at AA (omitting one bad start) there's a lot to say he can succeed with us. The past can't always predict the future, especially now that we have competent folks running the show.

The only thing he is learning right now in AA is to strike everyone out because the defense stinks and cant help you. Matusz was awesome when he came up, the thing between his ears got screwed up and the previous system couldnt help fix him. Could you even imagine what Greinke would have ended up like if he came up as an O back then? He would probably be bagging groceries and go into a panic attack every time he encountered an orange, apple, or anything else that was the size and shape of a baseball.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a genuine question: Why does everyone say that bringing pitchers to the majors earlier than expected is more dangerous than bringing hitters? Why is 'rushing' a player a greater risk for a pitcher than for a hitter? I have never understood the logic here.

I have a genuine question: Why does everyone say that bringing pitchers to the majors earlier than expected is more dangerous than bringing hitters? Why is 'rushing' a player a greater risk for a pitcher than for a hitter? I have never understood the logic here.

Tend to agree that hitting is harder to pick up at the major league level than the other way around. Everything I have hearf about Cingrani was that he was 80% fastball and that worked out well for cinci. I just hope we give wieters a day off wednesday and the staff puts together a good gameplan for the debut on Thursday. Gausmann seems like he has the maturity to make this happen

Tend to agree that hitting is harder to pick up at the major league level than the other way around. Everything I have hearf about Cingrani was that he was 80% fastball and that worked out well for cinci. I just hope we give wieters a day off wednesday and the staff puts together a good gameplan for the debut on Thursday. Gausmann seems like he has the maturity to make this happen

He just sat out on Sunday.

If the O's are not worried about the super 2 implications then there is really not to much to lose here IMO

If he comes up and struggles then you know were you stand with him and he goes down to work on what needs to be ironed out. I think for a kid like Gausman who is little more mature it will not wreck him if he struggles. If anything it will motivate him.

If he comes up and pitches well enough to be in the rotation then that beyond awesome.

I got a feeling that he is going to do pretty well. I also think that before all is said in done at some point this season you will see him and Dylan Bundy in the rotation. If Bundy starts throwing I can see a scenario were if someone gets hurt later this season or they need a spot start etc they turn to him (thinking late August/Sept)

Exciting times folks

I'd rather pitch Gausman in Toronto than Garcia.

Bautista might hit the longest hr in history of Garcia's 88 mph fastball.

I'd rather go with the kid and see what he's got, he doesn't have to be perfect with our offense, just give us a chance to win!

Btw, I know the timing is in question, but the age/experience problem isn't a big deal to me at all. Don't forget, he's 2 years older than Manny and he's working out alright!

Plus he has a superb catcher behind the plate to help call the game for him, Gausman can lean heavily on Matt for pitch selection and then just lean on his stuff and let the chips fall where they may.

Personally, I love this move. We need someone electric right now to galvanize the team and fanbase.

Manny did that for us when he was called up last year. Hopefully KG can be that guy this year.

Look around baseball right now, there are some young young pitchers absolutely dominating.

Corbin, Harvey, Matt Moore.....quite a few other young guys with great stuff are dominating major league hitters.

I don't want to put Gausman in that category and put undue pressure on him, but I think he will more than hold his own and that's all we really need him to do right now with out solid offense.

If he sticks it would set up a matchup next week in DC, I cant imagine PA signed off on this without much reluctance.

If DD is smart he will neglect to mention the whole super 2 thing to PA till after the season lol

Seriously Pete may be cheap but he is also not stupid. All DD has to say is that its either this or we need to go out and get someone who will cost money anyway. Pay now or pay later. Either way you cant get something for nothing.

Archived