I can't stand the Nats announcers.

Ommaculate

How can any true fan listen to these guys? For example, Strasburg was batting with the bases loaded and two strikes. Strasburg obviously went around on a check swing, and the announcers were saying "that was a bad call" even after they saw the replay that proves it was the right call.

What is wrong with them? That's why I cannot stand watching the Nats and I hope they lose.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carpenter and Santangelo aren't exactly bad announcers I would say. But they're not enjoyable because their style is just about as generic as it gets.

Carpenter is a slightly less annoying but slightly less interesting version of Jim Hunter. Santangelo offers bland analysis and adds very little interest to the broadcast. Neither of them are particularly interesting storytellers or exciting personalities.

They're not terrible. They present the game. They just don't add much value to a broadcast, which is what you expect of the good TV announcers.

Carpenter and Santangelo aren't exactly bad announcers I would say. But they're not enjoyable because their style is just about as generic as it gets.

Carpenter is a slightly less annoying but slightly less interesting version of Jim Hunter. Santangelo offers bland analysis and adds very little interest to the broadcast. Neither of them are particularly interesting storytellers or exciting personalities.

They're not terrible. They present the game. They just don't add much value to a broadcast, which is what you expect of the good TV announcers.

That's true. That's why I appreciate the O's announcers. Especially on the radio. I think Angel and Manfra are awesome. Take this from a guy who can only watch on radio or internet these days.

Completely disagree.

Carpenter has always been the biggest Nats homer in the small existence of the franchise. From day 1, he greeted watchers as ignorant children when it came to baseball and he hasn't evolved much since. Basically he treats every listener as if they don't understand the finer points of the game and tries to present EVERY silver lining in the action.

"And there's a fly ball to left field... and caught just shy of the warning track. That ball was hit very well but he just missed the sweet part of the bat."

"Grounder to 2B, Espinosa ranges over... and MAKES A GREAT PLAY! And you won't see a better play by a 2B than that." (All on a semi routine grounder).

Especially in the Nats' dark days, he tried to convince every listener that their hitters were slightly unlucky, their pitchers were getting squeezed, and every time a fielder made a great play he raved about how they were the best in the game.

If you're not a Nats' fan, he's insulting to baseball fans with his biased homerism.

Santangelo is god frickin awful. Lots of WE and US talk. Came up with something called Spanning in regards to denard span. The Os aren't perfect and Bordy can be a little homerish but in comparison to others it's pretty darn good.

It's funny to read criticisms of other team's announcers.

For example, as was pointed out above by SoBo, Santangelo says, "Us" and "We". News flash. So do half the posters on this board when discussing the Orioles. "We need to win tonight!" I always wonder in what capacity are those posters employed by the team.

And then there's the "Carpenter is a homer". How about the other night, when the Padres beat the Orioles. Rick Dempsey said, "the Padres came back against the toughest reliever in MLB." Really, Rick? Best in baseball. Yeah, sure. Okay. Whatever you say.

I rarely hear radio broadcasts of Orioles games but Hunter and Dempsey aren't exactly unbiased when it comes to the team. It's pretty much the same for all teams. Fans like to hear good things about their team even when there are few good things to say.

For example, as was pointed out above by SoBo, Santangelo says, "Us" and "We". News flash. So do half the posters on this board when discussing the Orioles. "We need to win tonight!" I always wonder in what capacity are those posters employed by the team.

And then there's the "Carpenter is a homer". How about the other night, when the Padres beat the Orioles. Rick Dempsey said, "the Padres came back against the toughest reliever in MLB." Really, Rick? Best in baseball. Yeah, sure. Okay. Whatever you say.

I rarely hear radio broadcasts of Orioles games but Hunter and Dempsey aren't exactly unbiased when it comes to the team. It's pretty much the same for all teams. Fans like to hear good things about their team even when there are few good things to say.

Oh. Yeah. So I don't listen to their announcers.

There's a difference between being a homer (i.e. most play-by-play broadcasters) and being irrationally optimistic about every "good guy" (i.e. Carpenter and Harrelson). Dempsey would probably approach this level if he were given any higher of a platform but thankfully he's relegated to about 7-8th on the depth chart.

The thing that killed me was when the instant replay came on, it blatantly showed Strasburg went around and the ump made the right call. Even after the replay, the announcer said "It was a bad call". Did anybody else see that? From now on I will mute the channel. I rarely watch them anyway, was just bored.

Yes... But WE don't occupy a booth from which to call a game. I'm fine with fans associating themselves as part of the team. Dempsey and Hunter are about as homerish as it gets. But Angel, Manfra, Thorne and Palmer all keep it pretty real when calling an Os game. Having MLB extra innings I watch a lot of other local calls and sadly there are more Santangelo's than Palmers out there.

Yes...but that's why many of complain about Hunter, Bordick, and Dempsey. They're just like Carpenter and Santangelo, only slightly better because they're homers for our team. Still...all three are fairly awful.

I remember watching the O's play the Nats last year on Fox. Not sure if it was the weekend they were in Baltimore or the O's were in D.C. Anyhow, usually you get the national broadcasters for that game who are

independent of the two teams. For some reason, Carpenter was in the booth and he was just way over the top with his homerism. I don't remember exactly but one got the impression that he was explicitly cheering for

the Nats. I thought that was pretty bad. If you're going to a game for a national network then you need to tone down your homerism since your audience is going to be filled with fans of both teams and other teams.

Someone brought up Dempsey and Dempsey/Hunter/Bordick are indeed homers but the first two are mostly relegated to the pre and post game show and frankly you expect over the top homerism from them. And honestly Dempsey may have not been that over the top when he said what he did about Johnson. Johnson at that time had been riding the longest save streak in Orioles history and hadn't blown a save since July. He's over the top a lot. Anyhow, Santangelo's problem is that he is too boring but honestly I want either a really entertaining color man or one that I can link to my team's past. I guess the Nats don't really have much of a

history obviously so the latter's out. So, yeah I don't like the Nats broadcasters. They're not the worst. Hawk Harrelson alone makes the WS pretty bad and I don't like John Sterling of the Yankees either since he has

stupid nicknames and the obnoxious The YAnkeeeeeeeeeees Wiiiiiiiiin.

I remember watching the O's play the Nats last year on Fox. Not sure if it was the weekend they were in Baltimore or the O's were in D.C. Anyhow, usually you get the national broadcasters for that game who are

independent of the two teams. For some reason, Carpenter was in the booth and he was just way over the top with his homerism. I don't remember exactly but one got the impression that he was explicitly cheering for

the Nats. I thought that was pretty bad. If you're going to a game for a national network then you need to tone down your homerism since your audience is going to be filled with fans of both teams and other teams.

Yeah. Sort of like how Ripken handled himself during the 2012 Orioles vs. Yankees ALDS.

Oh. Wait......Not a good example.

Archived