I can't stand the Nats announcers.

Ommaculate

I remember watching the O's play the Nats last year on Fox. I'm not sure if it was the weekend that they were in Baltimore, if the or the O's were in Washington. Anyhow, usually you get the national broadcasters for that game who are independent of the two teams. For some reason, Carpenter was in the booth, and he was just way over-the-top with his homerism. I don't remember exactly why, but one got the impression that he was explicitly cheering for the Nats. I thought that was pretty bad. If you're going to a game for a national network, then you need to tone down your homerism, since your audience is going to be filled with fans of both teams and other teams.

Someone brought up Dempsey. Dempsey/Hunter/Bordick are indeed homers, but the first two are mostly relegated to the pre-game and post-game show. Frankly, you would expect over-the-top homerism from them. And honestly. Dempsey may have not been that over the top when he said what he did about Johnson. Johnson, at that time, had been riding the longest save streak in Orioles history and hadn't blown a save since July. He's over the top a lot. Anyhow, Santangelo's problem is that he is too boring, but honestly, I want either a really entertaining color man, or one that I can link to my team's past. I guess the Nats don't really have much of a history obviously, so the latter's out. So yeah, I don't like the Nats broadcasters. They're not the worst. Hawk Harrelson alone makes the WS pretty bad, and I don't like John Sterling of the Yankees either, since he has stupid nicknames, and the obnoxious "Thaaaaaaa Yankeeeeeeeeeees Wiiiiiiiiin."

THAAAAA YANKEEEEEEES LOOOOOOST last night.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
THAAAAA YANKEEEEEEES LOOOOOOST last night.

Yep, missed the game unfortunately since I was supporting a friend doing open mic

but it's always a good day when the Orioles win and the Yankees lose, and it's an

even greater one if one is the direct result of the other.

He was practically peeing in his pants giddy with Zimmerman's 3rd homer...

...and then he was furiously stony silent with Davis's 2nd homer.

"Even Orioles fans have to applaud something like this... you start rooting for the other team 'cause it's baseball."

- except when the other team ISN'T the Nationals.

"Even Orioles fans have to applaud something like this... you start rooting for the other team 'cause it's baseball."

- except when the other team ISN'T the Nationals.

Yeah a guy got a three home run game, that's never ever happened. I mean damn, I wouldn't have blamed him if he said that if Zimmerman had gotten four homers and IIRC Josh Hamilton did get a polite ovation from the fans at OPACY last year when he did that and I know that I tipped my hat to my friend who's a Rangers fan. But for three home runs? Carpenter really should shut up. He's got to remember when he does these dual broadcasts with Bordick on MASN that a lot of O's fans are watching too. A little homerism isn't bad but don't patronize us.

Here's Dan Steinberg:

Indeed, I believe I?ve heard of exactly one person who likes the mixed crews: Jason Bishop of the Junkies on 106.7 The Fan. He?s a Red Sox fan, though. He told MASN?s Bob Carpenter this week how much he enjoys hearing the mixed booths.

?Well, I?m gonna reserve most of my comments on that one,? Carpenter replied. ?The impression I get is the Orioles fans don?t like F.P. and me, and our fans don?t like Jim and Mike Bordick or Jim Palmer, and that?s up to the fans to decide?.I would say it gets mixed reviews from the fans. People have told me that it?s a comfort thing; you get used to your own guys. I enjoy Mike Bordick ? he?s kind of low-key, he?s not up there trying to do too much. He was a very good player, great shortstop and does a good job of explaining the game. But the feedback I get from fans is they want their guys in Baltimore, we want our guys in Washington, we don?t want to hear the other guys. So I think everybody has their own opinions on the thing.?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/05/30/on-the-masn-split-booths/

I think he's oversimplifying things. Yeah you do get used to your own guys but while I of course don't expect him to say this but he's just not good at his job. Him and Santangelo just aren't good. As already put, he

pretty much went silent during Davis's second home run. The article includes a link to Hunter calling Zimmerman's first home run but at least he called it and had some excitement in his voice. Carpenter's just not a

good play by play guy. He really is as McNulty said a Hawk Harrelson but I'd add that at least Hawk has come up with some neat nicknames over the years. Maybe I'm being too hard because I've grown to really dislike the Nats. I do agree though that mixed crew stinks. It just feels so forced and awkward. I'd liken it to being forced to partner up with someone who's your next door neighbor but you really don't like much for your

group project.

I used to tolerate the mixed booth, but I think the fact that both teams are competitive now makes it much too awkward in the booth for the fans to enjoy it.

Bordick and Santangelo have been okay...there's some discomfort in the fact that Bordick is always the first to comment when the O's succeed and Santangelo is the first when the Nats succeed, but they haven't bothered me too much in this series. With Hunter and Carpenter however, there is a bigger problem, I think emphasized by the fact that they are in the booth at separate times. Each feels it is their turn to take control of the tone of the broadcast, and they have real trouble disguising their true feelings on the game.

Of course they really shouldn't have to disguise their true feelings, which is why I think it's time to get rid of the mixed broadcast booth... Both the fans and announcers would enjoy it more I think. It's not charming.

Yes...but that's why many of complain about Hunter, Bordick, and Dempsey. They're just like Carpenter and Santangelo, only slightly better because they're homers for our team. Still...all three are fairly awful.

But the difference is that Hunter, Bordick and Dempsey are not in the booth every single game. Especially Hunter and Dempsey, they only get a handful of games a year in the booth. And I would not say that Bordick is as much as an overbearing homer as Hunter, Dempsey, Carpenter and Santangelo are.

I could not stand having Carpenter and Santangelo as my team's main PBP crew. And that is not coming from a Baltimore homer standpoint, that is coming from an "I enjoy good sports broadcasting standpoint." Carpenter is OK, but he is just so bland. Santangelo's voice just makes me crazy and he can be whiny when something is not going the Nats' way. He also will step on anyone to get in his stupid "there goes the no-hitter" or "there goes the no-hitter and shutout" line.

I just think that the Orioles, especially with Thorne and Palmer, have a more enjoyable broadcast team. And honestly, they are a better broadcast tandem than a lot of other teams.

Archived