Koji trade better than Bedard trade?

Grt 2BA FL Gator

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Texas also traded away Adrian Gonzalez, Mark Teixeira and Justin Smoak. They've always seen 1B as a log jam and thus prefer to trade them for different pieces. Davis had completely worn out his welcome with the Rangers as he kept getting called up and slipping in to prolonged cold slumps. No one wanted him around the league.

A similar player this year might be Ike Davis who could get traded this year and have a very good career with a different team. You just never know with players like that.

They also gave away Carlos Pena a nd Travis Hafner. They have a knack for finding good first basemen and shipping them out

By the way, in debating MacPhail's best deal, lets not forget the Brett Jacobson and Jim Hoey for J.J. Hardy deal. Talk about highway robbery! Hardy's given us 8.2 rWAR (7.5 fWAR) so far. Hoey was worth -0.6rWAR (-0.4 fWAR) in his one year with the Twins, and Jacobson has never made the majors. In addition to the trade itself being a heist, Hardy's 3/$21 mm contract signed in mid-2011 was a bargain, producing ~$14.7 mm in value in the first 1.3 seasons so far (per fangraphs). Maybe the other two deals were better in terms of what we received, but we basically gave up nothing of value at all to get Hardy.

By the way, in debating MacPhail's best deal, lets not forget the Brett Jacobson and Jim Hoey for J.J. Hardy deal. Talk about highway robbery! Hardy's given us 8.2 rWAR (7.5 fWAR) so far. Hoey was worth -0.6rWAR (-0.4 fWAR) in his one year with the Twins, and Jacobson has never made the majors. In addition to the trade itself being a heist, Hardy's 3/$21 mm contract signed in mid-2011 was a bargain, producing ~$14.7 mm in value in the first 1.3 seasons so far (per fangraphs). Maybe the other two deals were better in terms of what we received, but we basically gave up nothing of value at all to get Hardy.

Indeed, the further we get away from the MacPhail regime, the more appreciative I am of what he's contributed to this run.. And I always was a supporter of his.

Bedard deal is way ahead of the Koji deal. You can't forget what benefits Sherrill (on the field) and Mickolio (in a trade) meant for the Orioles. And Jones is the foundation of this team. Chris Davis has been good, and great this season, and i hope he continues, but Jones still has a good lead on him as far as value for the organization.

AM had some great deals to set this organization up, but he placed too much faith in immediate impact of prospects. In that way DD has really never been content with the depth he has, and has been a huge improvement over AM. I don't think we have seen enough trades to evaluate DDs skill in that regard.

Overall the Bedard trade still ranks higher for me but its close

In terms of value for what they gave up though it has to be the Koji trade. Koji was a reliever albeit a very good one. Getting back a guy developing into a MOO bat and quality RP in return is awesome.

Bedard was pretty highly regarded SP at the time. Great return but you expect a pretty good return when dealing a guy like that. Both trades were well executed.

Overall the Bedard trade still ranks higher for me but its close

In terms of value for what they gave up though it has to be the Koji trade. Koji was a reliever albeit a very good one. Getting back a guy developing into a MOO bat and quality RP in return is awesome.

Bedard was pretty highly regarded SP at the time. Great return but you expect a pretty good return when dealing a guy like that. Both trades were well executed.

This is pretty much my thoughts on it. In terms of value given up versus value received, I think it's darn close.

IMO, It's lazy to point to the WAR generated from each trade and compare. I don't think it's fair because Jones/Tillman/others have been here longer. Hunter/Davis have only gotten a year and change to produce.

We'll only really know a couple years from now, but to me if Davis continues to produce, he may have as much value as Jones if not more (especially for those that rail on Jones' defense). Tillman is obviously the X factor, but again, we didn't have to give up a TOR starter for Davis/Hunter.

Again, regardless, kudos to MacPhail.

Texas also traded away Adrian Gonzalez, Mark Teixeira and Justin Smoak. They've always seen 1B as a log jam and thus prefer to trade them for different pieces. Davis had completely worn out his welcome with the Rangers as he kept getting called up and slipping in to prolonged cold slumps. No one wanted him around the league.

A similar player this year might be Ike Davis who could get traded this year and have a very good career with a different team. You just never know with players like that.

Exactly...see Jose Bautista, Jayson Werth, etc.

Funny, I keep thinking Reimold might follow the Werth path; just finally put it together very late, after he's no longer here.

Yeah, I've thought that too. MacPhail really is the main architect of the team that made the playoffs last year.

Archived