Koji trade better than Bedard trade?

Grt 2BA FL Gator

A lot of pitchers could learn from him, we might say. I loved watching Bedard pitch -- that was "must-see TV" (though I watched all the other games, too). I am wondering now whether I am alone in thinking that rumors leaked from Orioles' management portraying him as "quitting on the team" in 2007.

I don't think anything was leaked purposely, as that would have degraded his trade value.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think anything was leaked purposely, as that would have degraded his trade value.

Yea. I have no idea why that would make any sense.

I'm going to start calling it Syd Thrifts razor: the explanation that makes the O's FO sound the most incompetent or nefarious is the most likely reason according to some on the OH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea. I have no idea why that would make any sense.

I'm going to start calling it Syd Thrifts razor: the explanation that makes the O's FO sound the most incompetent or nefarious is the most likely reason according to some on the OH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Syd had demensia. just like Ronnie did.

I like that a lot. Syd Thrift's Razor. I'm going to use that. I think it could gain traction outside of OH, 29 teams go home without a trophy every year so every fanbase has at least a little bitter and cynical in them.

That makes me think... we need a OH Glossary for newcomers and general fun. Explanations of our OH-specific dialect and history. WOW offer, Fans Held Hostage Day XX, Confederate Money, The David Newhan Effect, maybe even stuff like Full Pack Stanhouse.

And maybe even a reference guide to longtime posters to whom some occasionally refer by their real names. Always leaves me scratching my head.

That makes me think... we need a OH Glossary for newcomers and general fun. Explanations of our OH-specific dialect and history. WOW offer, Fans Held Hostage Day XX, Confederate Money, The David Newhan Effect, maybe even stuff like Full Pack Stanhouse.

Tillman and the team calendar.

We may have different interpretations of "pathogen in the clubhouse," and I might have chosen a different word. But I do believe that one person can rub off on other players and negatively impact their attitudes. Plus, if he was a "quitter" like some have described, might that be considered "an agent that causes illness to its host?"

The imagine of him being soft or being a quitter, to me, doesn't jibe with the end of his career.

He took a little over a million to pitch with the Astros and took a minor league deal with the Rays in his last year.

If he was soft or a quitter why wouldn't he just take his 20M+ and walk away? He certainly wasn't healthy at that point in his career.

Part of the issue with folks' perception of Bedard is the bit where he would ask out of games. I can see why that would bother some folks but I frankly would rather a pitcher be honest then try and tough it out and get shelled.

I genuinely like deadpanning some of this stuff to newbies so I can watch them get all wound up and run around in circles frothing at the mouth wondering how I could be so stupid.

The imagine of him being soft or being a quitter, to me, doesn't jibe with the end of his career.

He took a little over a million to pitch with the Astros and took a minor league deal with the Rays in his last year.

If he was soft or a quitter why wouldn't he just take his 20M+ and walk away? He certainly wasn't healthy at that point in his career.

Part of the issue with folks' perception of Bedard is the bit where he would ask out of games. I can see why that would bother some folks but I frankly would rather a pitcher be honest then try and tough it out and get shelled.

I agree with you that a lot of pitchers act angry when getting relieved, even when it's clear they are toast. And Bedard appears more grounded in reality than many others. I think what may bother some folks, possibly including Bavasi, can be summed up with a quote: Bedard said. "I'm not going over 110 (pitches). I'd rather pitch a couple more years than face another batter." That's reasonable. But some may have interpreted that as Bedard putting his career ahead of the good of the team. Again, reasonable. But it challenges the macho posturing of most pro athletes who claim publicly that "the team comes first."

Also, I never meant to suggest that the FO always acts nefariously or incompetently. I don't believe that. I was just sharing what I remembered hearing eight years ago. And after eight years, I may be "misremembering" that.

I agree with you that a lot of pitchers act angry when getting relieved, even when it's clear they are toast. And Bedard appears more grounded in reality than many others. I think what may bother some folks, possibly including Bavasi, can be summed up with a quote: Bedard said. "I'm not going over 110 (pitches). I'd rather pitch a couple more years than face another batter." That's reasonable. But some may have interpreted that as Bedard putting his career ahead of the good of the team. Again, reasonable. But it challenges the macho posturing of most pro athletes who claim publicly that "the team comes first."

Also, I never meant to suggest that the FO always acts nefariously or incompetently. I don't believe that. I was just sharing what I remembered hearing eight years ago. And after eight years, I may be "misremembering" that.

I don't have an issue with anything you presented.

You even provided quotes which is appreciated.

Bedard was certainly a polarizing figure.

• 4 months later...

Archived