R : 1

ER : 1

ERA : 1.04

BAA : .074

BB : 5

K : 9

WHIP : 0.80

He has for example way better than Jim Johnson or Troy Patton

In May his average leverage index has been 0.61, meaning that he's usually coming into games after they're essentially over.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I see what everyone else sees. Strop hasn't regained a trusted setup position on this team since he lost it, early last September. He's a time bomb in high leverage situations. If the O's insist on keeping him and getting him back to where he was 1st half last year, it will continue to cost them more games like the last two.

Again, I agree. We kept Gregg around almost the entire year last year, just waiting and waiting for him to get straightened out. Eventually they released him. We cannot afford to do that with Strop this year. Dangle him in trade talks and see what we can fetch. But we cannot "hide him" out there, not while also carrying a rule 5 guy and having a bullpen full of no options left pitchers.

I agree with this to a point. But what bothers me about Strop is the body language. When he walked Lawrie on four pitches, it just looked like he not only didn't know where the ball was going, but that he didn't care. I do not want that kind of negativity on the team.

He obviously has the arm and the stuff to be a great pitcher, but his mental weakness is just so frustrating to watch. People say he bounced back after he got tired in August, but in this case the problem is not physical, it is mental.

That said, he has good enough stuff that we probably need to keep him as well as Patton. I do think TJ has done well enough that he and Tommy are now above Pedro, and Pedro is a couple more bad ones away from being DFA.

I'll reiterate my dislike/disdain for people who infer mental weakness from physical failings. Lack of both pitch command and stoicism does not equate to a feeble mind.

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that guys who throw 96-97 are good just because they throw 96-97. There are a lot of guys who throw hard and aren't good. So you reasoning is that we should keep Strop because every bullpen has someone just as bad or worse? Sounds like great reasoning.
You seem to be under the mistaken impression that guys who throw 96-97 are good just because they throw 96-97. There are a lot of guys who throw hard and aren't good. So you reasoning is that we should keep Strop because every bullpen has someone just as bad or worse? Sounds like great reasoning.

No I'm not.

What I'm saying is that you give those guys a ton of rope...especially when they have flashed dominance in the past and are out of options.

I'm saying you don't need to have everyone performing at high-level at the same time in order to have a successful bullpen. It's not like the O's have some great reliever kicking down the door and demanding his roster spot either.

You want to see what overreaction can lead to take a look at the Redsox and how they handled the Mark Melancon situation.

Again, I agree. We kept Gregg around almost the entire year last year, just waiting and waiting for him to get straightened out. Eventually they released him. We cannot afford to do that with Strop this year. Dangle him in trade talks and see what we can fetch. But we cannot "hide him" out there, not while also carrying a rule 5 guy and having a bullpen full of no options left pitchers.

That's just not true. They kept Gregg because he was untradable and they didn't want to eat his salary and release him.

Ken, Olney, and others all reported that he was available and that the O's were desperate to unload him.

That's not the case for Strop. If the O's were to make him available there would be 20 other teams lining up trying to get him for pennies on the dollar.

Patton has a 3.08 career ERA. Strop's career ERA is 3.86. Where are you going to find that in a replacement? I'm not ready to replace either player. Decrease their roles while the coaches help them solve their problems. We know they both have talent. We have seen it.

I think it will probably be mid June before the O's activate Wada. That is probably the next time to revisit who should go and who should stay on the pitching staff barring injuries.

This would demand that the starters immediately begin going 7 strong with some regularity.... Recent history tells us that isn't going to happen.

[/b]

Yeah, but that's only part of it. They have been under the hope that they could get Strop back on track. As the latter becomes less apparent they will be more willing to give someone else a chance to replace him. You are assuming that they have no one in mind. The bigger thing is that up to this point, they don't want to lose Strop for nothing. As his problems go on longer and longer, there will come a breaking point when it doesn't matter what the options are at Norfolk. I would contend that we already have options down there. Time to put Arrieta in the bullpen down there for a few games. Asencio doesn't have a good ML track record but he was good in the minors last year and is doing great this year AND he doesn't walk guys.

I'm arguing the time has come to release him. You are arguing I'm wrong because the Orioles haven't done it. If the Orioles release Strop within the next two weeks would you disagree with that? Would that be the wrong thing to do?

Sure, if the O's release Strop in the next two weeks you would be right. But I don't expect it to happen.

The O's can win 2 out of 3 games with the pen they have. J Johnson, O'Day. Matusz and Hunter are pitching well and can pitch two days in a row. Tillman and Gonzalez are going to go 6+ innings more times then not. Hammel, Garcia and Gausman 5+ innings. If the O's win 55% of their games they will stay with Strop and Patton unless someone in the minors pushes their way to a promotion.

It more likely the injuries require changes some time in the near future.

Sure, if the O's release Strop in the next two weeks you would be right. But I don't expect it to happen.

The O's can win 2 out of 3 games with the pen they have. J Johnson, O'Day. Matusz and Hunter are pitching well and can pitch two days in a row. Tillman and Gonzalez are going to go 6+ innings more times then not. Hammel, Garcia and Gausman 5+ innings. If the O's win 55% of their games they will stay with Strop and Patton unless someone in the minors pushes their way to a promotion.

It more likely the injuries require changes some time in the near future.

J Johnson pitching well? Is that a joke??

JJ is by any statistical measure the worst member of this bullpen, and making 7.5 million to boot.

Another reason to consider carefully who you release as the O's aren't likely to make the mistake of paying JJ 8+ million next year

I'll reiterate my dislike/disdain for people who infer mental weakness from physical failings. Lack of both pitch command and stoicism does not equate to a feeble mind.

This was not just inferred. It is based off of observation of his body language. Now I may be wrong about that, but it was not simply inferred by the performance. For example, that is why I am more frustrated with Pedro at the moment than Hunter when he was struggling or Patton currently. It just looked to me like he was not even trying to throw strikes, whereas the other guys are having or have had similar performance issues but they at least look like they are trying to compete.

JJ is by any statistical measure the worst member of this bullpen, and making 7.5 million to boot.

Another reason to consider carefully who you release as the O's aren't likely to make the mistake of paying JJ 8+ million next year

Jim Johnson's job in to close games. He is tied for third in the AL and 4th in the majors with 14 saves. He is on a pace for 48 saves. True he hit a rough spot lately but with his track record and the pace he is on it looks like another great year for Jim.

Huh? What statistical measures are you looking at?

If you're going by ERA -- which is a misleading stat for relief pitchers anyway -- Johnson is still better than Patton and Strop. If you're going by K per 9, he's better than Patton and (surprise!) Hunter. If you're going by BB per 9, he's better than everyone except Matusz and Hunter.

Did you just have a brain freeze and get Jim Johnson confused with someone else? It happens. Otherwise, this is an inexplicably misinformed post.

Archived