Researching the MLB Draft...

I would think it would be difficult to compare HS hitters to college hitters strictly by success numbers. A HS hitter has to be really really good for his age to get drafted where a college hitter has to be merely good. Looking at the NBA you could say that HS players have a better chance to succeed but that is because there aren't as many.

This is the same problem with saying (looking at the NFL) that teams that run the ball over 30 times and for at least 100 yards win the game. You can't say oh well then lets just keep running the ball because we will eventually get those counting stats.

If you decided to only draft high school hitters you would run out of top talent before you would if you included college hitters.

Most hitters don't become elite (relative to their age) until into their college years 18-21 (this part is just my thoughts, I can't prove it).

Good discussion. This is why I love the OH.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1155164&postcount=4

Post #4 shows that there were more HS Hitters chosen than college hitters, by a noticeable margin, however I agree with you that it would be ludicrous to draft only HS hitters or only College hitters, or just hitters in general, for obvious reasons. I never implied that it would be smart to do so, although it appears that hitters are more likely to have success in comparison to pitchers... again, using the top of the first round only as the barometer.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived