We seriously need to consider another closer at this point

AlbionHero

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe Johnson just needs a week off. Could the problem be from being over used?

Prior to the blown save against the Padres on May 14th he pitched on May 10th.

His next blown save was on May 18th.

His next blown save on May 20th. He got the W on May 21st and then didn't pitch again until May 25th and then the next day on May 26th.

All in all he had 7 appearances in a 17 day stretch. Once every 2.4 days. In 2 months he's pitched in 25 games. Once every 2 games (we've played 50 games). Counting days off, we've had 55 days of baseball from 4/2/2013 - 5/26/2013. So once every 2.2 days.

Mariano Rivera, FWIW, has pitched in 20 games in a 48 game stretch. Once every 2.4 games. Or once every 2.7 days.

Is it overuse? I'm not so sure that's the case.

Prior to the blown save against the Padres on May 14th he pitched on May 10th.

His next blown save was on May 18th.

His next blown save on May 20th. He got the W on May 21st and then didn't pitch again until May 25th and then the next day on May 26th.

All in all he had 7 appearances in a 17 day stretch. Once every 2.4 days. In 2 months he's pitched in 25 games. Once every 2 games (we've played 50 games). Counting days off, we've had 55 days of baseball from 4/2/2013 - 5/26/2013. So once every 2.2 days.

Mariano Rivera, FWIW, has pitched in 20 games in a 48 game stretch. Once every 2.4 games. Or once every 2.7 days.

Is it overuse? I'm not so sure that's the case.

I remember at the beginning of the year, Johnson kept coming in when he shouldn't have to because he had to bail out the other relievers.

It's not time to remove him from the role, but it's time to start removing him from the game if he blatantly just doesn't have any command.

I think that's a pretty fair suggestion actually.

Buck is notoriously slow at getting guys up when someone's in trouble. It happens, buck is trying to show trust in his guys, I get it.

But at this point, if Johnson shows early he has no control or command, buck should get someone up immediately.

Johnson can stay the closer, but he's lost the benefit of the doubt on working himself out of messes.

Lets just hope his next save opportunity is a 1-2-3 and we can all keep our fingernails for a few more days.

Johnson is 3rd in the majors in rWAR among relievers from 2008-2012. But keep telling yourself he's a one-year wonder if that helps you reconcile your worldview.

One year of success as a closer. You act like he is Mariano Rivera or something. Let me know when JJ gets to a 100 saves and get back to me.

I'd go Matusz for the 7th, Hunter for the 8th, Johnson in the 9th with O'Day warming.

I think this a good idea although it sucks that you have to hold out your best set-up man as a safety net.

Look, Jim Johnson is this teams closer over the long haul. Everyone knows it. Is everyone so sensitive that he can't pitch, say the sixth one game to get himself back on track? That way if he doesn't have it, you have your whole bullpen to choose from to replace him. If he gives up some runs, you have three innings to get them back.

Whitey Ford relieved 39 times over the 13 years of his prime where he averaged 33 starts a year. I know it's not the same thing, but they didn't care about roles as much back then.

I know. Yes, everyone is that sensitive now. Never mind.

One year of success as a closer. You act like he is Mariano Rivera or something. Let me know when JJ gets to a 100 saves and get back to me.

He holds the all time Orioles record for consecutive saves. He is the best we've had. I hope he gets it back.

He wouldn't be my closer until he had demonstrated renewed command of his sinker in side sessions and in low-leverage game situations. He isn't just in a slump; he's in an existential crisis. Without his sinker, he is not a major league pitcher, period.

I'd go with a closer by committee until JJ got his groove back. Matusz, Hunter and O'Day can trade opportunities. That way the job is still JJ's to regain and there's no controversy.

I didn't know you were a believer in the black magic that transforms a random Mike Timlin clone into THE CLOSER (duhm duhm dummmm!!), MAN OF EXTREME VALUE, after he's sprinkled with it. And this is the first time I'd heard the magic closer fairly dust doesn't really kick in until 100 saves.

And I'm sure you're not one of those calling for O'Day to replace Johnson, because, you know, O'Day has three career saves. And you know what Johnson's job description was before closer? It was "Darren O'Day's job."

He is a sinkerballer who lost his. As they all do from time to time. He has other pitches, but he lives off getting ground balls.

Hope he gets it back.

Right on, Weams. Purely a problem of location. I hate that I cringe now when he comes out to the mound, but he'll get his command back, hopefully sooner rather than later. I just can't imagine that a guy his age with his stuff "loses it" for good over a period of 2 weeks. I agree with those that say you gotta have somebody warming right now and use a short leash until he gets the feel back, though.

Archived