We seriously need to consider another closer at this point

AlbionHero

How much of a lead do we need to feel comfortable in the 9th? 5...6? I had a nervous feeling about 3, and they only had 2 runs to that point!

Well the actual number is 4, because if it's 4, Robo Buck doesn't go to the closer, he brings on someone like O'Day or Patton or (in extreme blowout situations) Strop. Quite honestly, I'd take my chances with Strop over Johnson right now, although that's like asking whether you want a root canal or a broken leg.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AKA he lost his stuff.

Losing your "stuff" would generally be if he was losing a lot of speed off his fastball, struggling to get good movement on his pitches, etc. That doesn't seem to be the case, at least according to the eye. His problem is that he isn't throwing enough strikes, and when he is throwing strikes he is leaving everything up in the zone which means his sinker-- the very sinker that provided so many ground ball outs in the past and lead many to believe Johnson could continue his dominance despite peripherals that weren't as good as his results-- is rendered ineffective, allowing hitters to hit strong line drives instead of ground balls.

Don't overreact. I don't see the O's being in huge trouble. Frustrating it is for

sure. But I am sure Buck will need to do what needs to be done. IMO

In no way am I overreacting. Buck sat there and didn't do the right thing today. Johnson, Strop, and Patton are brutal now. Hunter may be hurt. We can't pitch O'Day and Matusz three innings every game and there's little in the minors. If Steve Johnson and McFarland are pitching high stress moments all summer the season is going nowhere.

For me, JJ is still the closer, but I've got to have a Plan B on days when he's struggling. You can't have him throw 35 pitches in an inning, especially when he pitched the day before. He's lost the right to just stay out there until the game is over no matter what.

The worst part of all this is that we could be 31-19 right now instead of 27-23. That's what Johnson has cost us. Honestly, Buck has to consider flip-flopping the roles of O'Day and Johnson. Jim Johnson has got to find his curveball or this is going to continue.

Flipping isn't the answer. JJ is only good for mop up duty. Maybe he can get a back injury so they can DL him and get him some work at AAA

Would anybody be opposed to seeing what Arrieta a shot at closing?

Yea lets make the guy who acts like he has a stick up his butt when guys get on base the closer....no thanks.

JJ needs to be replaced till he can find or get whatever the problem is straight. Hunter, O'Day or Matusz depending on the situation.

For me, JJ is still the closer, but I've got to have a Plan B on days when he's struggling. You can't have him throw 35 pitches in an inning, especially when he pitched the day before. He's lost the right to just stay out there until the game is over no matter what.

It had to be Patton or McFarland then today nobody was left

Archived