Gausman Wasn't Ready, Now What?

Rene88

Not sure whom else you pull from for a fill in starter. We've seen most starting candidates in AAA this year and none seem ready. At AA no one is near ready... Gamboa and Clark are still figuring out the knuckler, Wright has just been starting to look better against AA hitters...

Who does that leave? I wouldn't mess with Hunter and the great relief work he's been turning in. BMat might work but you'd have to stretch him. Maybe McFarland? We are looking mighty thin.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure whom else you pull from for a fill in starter. We've seen most starting candidates in AAA this year and none seem ready. At AA no one is near ready... Gamboa and Clark are still figuring out the knuckler, Wright has just been starting to look better against AA hitters...

Who does that leave? I wouldn't mess with Hunter and the great relief work he's been turning in. BMat might work but you'd have to stretch him. Maybe McFarland? We are looking mighty thin.

McFarland, Steve Johnson, or Zach Britton. I'd prefer not to touch Britton until he gets his hits under wraps.

Had to happen eventually.

Both teams are struggling a bit right now, it's early May, we have won 3 out of our last 4, I hope Gausman does get another shot.

TB is worrisome too of course, but this is the AL east.

Some of the pitfalls of Interleague play, especially in a season like this when the whole AL East isn't playing the whole NL East. We have to play the Nats (who are admittedly struggling offensively, but can pitch), and Jays have to play the Braves (split with them so far), which are very tough match-ups.

BoSox get Philly, which is still pretty tough especially against Lee tonight (split so far)

But the Yanks get the Mets and the Rays get the Marlins. Yanks have lost the first two but the Rays came back tonight and are taking care of business, so far.

As for Gausman... whatever they decide I'm fine with. We need Chen back, if Gausman stays I'm holding out hope that he can settle in by then and contribute. IF Gausman goes back I wonder if it'll be to Norfolk instead of Bowie? 5th starter spot remains a black hole for now and not sure how much longer we can rely on Freddy Garcia. Still have tremendous faith in this team. Hoping Tillman can keep us in the game versus Zimmermann, wouldn't surprise me at all if the team found a way to get to him.

Some of the pitfalls of Interleague play, especially in a season like this when the whole AL East isn't playing the whole NL East. We have to play the Nats (who are admittedly struggling offensively, but can pitch), and Jays have to play the Braves (split with them so far), which are very tough match-ups.

BoSox get Philly, which is still pretty tough especially against Lee tonight (split so far)

But the Yanks get the Mets and the Rays get the Marlins. Yanks have lost the first two but the Rays came back tonight and are taking care of business, so far.

As for Gausman... whatever they decide I'm fine with. We need Chen back, if Gausman stays I'm holding out hope that he can settle in by then and contribute. IF Gausman goes back I wonder if it'll be to Norfolk instead of Bowie? 5th starter spot remains a black hole for now and not sure how much longer we can rely on Freddy Garcia. Still have tremendous faith in this team. Hoping Tillman can keep us in the game versus Zimmermann, wouldn't surprise me at all if the team found a way to get to him.

As other's have said, Buck and/or DD feel AA is the proving ground, so he will probably go back there I would imagine. Hopefully he gets another shot and it doesn't matter.

Chen coming back and staying healthy is huge.

As other's have said, Buck and/or DD feel AA is the proving ground, so he will probably go back there I would imagine. Hopefully he gets another shot and it doesn't matter.

Chen coming back and staying healthy is huge.

Yeah, I hear ya. I just wonder if AAA wouldn't be a better proving ground for him to work on that 3rd pitch some more, the slider or the curveball. I'm with you though, wouldn't mind seeing him stay. The way baseball is, I honestly wouldn't be surprised, I might be amazed, but I wouldn't be surprised if Gausman pulled off his best start against the Tigers when everyone is expecting him to get rocked.

To me, it is clear we need to go outside the organization. This should have been done in the offseason but that is water under the bridge at this point. Just pick up the phone.

Something needs to be done.

I agree 100% but I don't think DD is ready yet. If we keep "treading water" he will continue to exhaust all options within the depth he has build up over the course of the year. We probably should have signed Joe Saunders, or Kyle Loshe, or Anibal Sanchez but DD figured through the potential talent and depth within the organization he could piecemeal this rotation until something stuck like last year (Gonzo and Tilly).

I thought it was a little early to bring up Gausman but after his first start I thought it was the right decision. I was at the game tonight and now I'm not so sure. I can't remember ever seeing the National hitters square up that many pitches, at least against us. Not sure if starting him against the potent Tigers offense is the smartest decision right now.

Any chance Gausman was called up and told he was only up until Chen comes off the DL?

Was at the game tonight and did not see Gausman throw one fastball under 95 MPH. He also was very strong as the game went on...almost like Verlander velocity wise. That being said, you would expect the Nats to be on their heals with that kind of heat coming..but that was not the case. They were getting very good swings on the fastball, and the slider and change up were not fooling them.

My take is that Gausman has the stuff to be a great pitcher...but I am not sure it is all there yet. I would give him one more start, and if it looks as bad, send him down. After that, you call up Arrieta or Britton. The O's need to find out what they have, and what they are going to do with those two before Gausman.

The whole thing sucks. We went into ST with supposedly almost 10 people competing for starting jobs...and pretty much everyone has sucked at some point.

I was shocked that we brought up Gausman so early mainly because now he has been seen at the mlb level his stock has dropped. I think we have limited our options now with regard to potential trades and will be forced to let him go for a few more starts. Putting him back down in the minors could ruin his confidence so we just have to hope the coaching staff is able to work with him. This was an all or nothing move when we brought him up, exciting it was but we put all our cards on the table.

I'll continue to have faith in Gausman and hope he throws 2 or 3 more games regardless of the outcome. Adjustment takes time, and he has the stuff and obviously the desire to make the appropriate changes. And I have more faith in a sudden turnaround from him than I have in any of our AAA options.

Opponents are batting .385 against Gausman, the No. 4 pick in the 2012 draft. But Orioles manager Buck Showalter said the rookie would get a third start, Sunday against Detroit.

"Pitching in the big leagues is hard. He's got the talent to do it and eventually he will," Showalter said. "I look forward to it being next time out. He knows mistakes get magnified here. But it's part of the process."

By DAVID GINSBURG

AP Sports Writer

Associated Press Sports

I said back on 5/21 that I thought it was too soon and that pitching to MLB bats isn't the same as pitching to Eastern League AA bats. In his first 2 outings he seems to be finding that out.

Next up he gets Detroit's lineup. Talk about a baptism by fire. Welcome to the biggies.

Electric stuff with solid control. He needs polish. I think he may be tipping his pitches, also.

He has good stuff but still, even with the 97 mph fastball, even the worst hitters don't swing and miss it. They foul it, foul it, then hit the hanging slider. He pitches like Jake thus far. I have yet to see the outstanding swing and miss change that he reportedly has and his slider is not good yet. He will be good, but he isn't at the moment. And it really does seem hitters know what is coming.

Archived