TT: Gausman's time will come, but it's not now

Tony-OH

Daniel Cabrera, Hayden Penn, Matt Riley, Sidney Ponson, etc. I thought weeks ago that he was no good. I still feel that way. I don't understand for a second in the "should we trade for a TOR starter" thread how people say that Kevin Gausman alone is more valuable than Peavy. Gausman just doesn't get major league hitters out.

Great analysis there. Gausman is so much like Liz. :rolleyes:

Gausman has had four major league starts and not even a season worth of experience in the pros. Yep, time to call the career over.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great analysis there. Gausman is so much like Liz. :rolleyes:

Gausman has had four major league starts and not even a season worth of experience in the pros. Yep, time to call the career over.

History will prove my post correct. In 3 years from now, when he is toiling with a 6+ ERA, you will be giving other people negative feedback for criticizing other players who are no good who you like.

History will prove my post correct. In 3 years from now, when he is toiling with a 6+ ERA, you will be giving other people negative feedback for criticizing other players who are no good who you like.

Do you care to back up your post with anything intellectual or do you just like making grandiose statements?

Daniel Cabrera, Hayden Penn, Matt Riley, Sidney Ponson, etc. I thought weeks ago that he was no good. I still feel that way. I don't understand for a second in the "should we trade for a TOR starter" thread how people say that Kevin Gausman alone is more valuable than Peavy. Gausman just doesn't get major league hitters out.

Please read your PM.

Daniel Cabrera's main issue was a walk rate north of 5 per nine.

Hayden Penn was a borderline top 100 prospect who was perhaps a bit mishandled but whose minor league numbers never translated, then got hit with some injuries.

Matt Riley was Matt Riley and Radhamez Liz was never a real prospect to begin with.

Sydney Ponson gets crapped on because he wasn't very good, but then, there was never anything in his minor league pedigree besides an aberrational 100 innings at Frederick to suggest he would be. Mostly, I think people don't like him for character reasons but I never understood the expectations some seemed to have for him.

What do all these players have in common with the 2013 version of Kevin Gausman? They're all Orioles. That's about it.

Kevin Gausman doesn't seem ready to pitch in the majors. He's currently in the majors. That's his main issue right now.

I think he has miles to go on his breaking pitch and his fastball location isn't very good right in the zone. All of this could be worked on in the minors for the next season or few season and he would still be a far better prospect than any of the folks you just compared him to.

Is he worth more to the 2013 Orioles in trade package for a top of the rotation pitcher? Sure, maybe. That's pretty much up to the guys in the front office to weigh against any production he may yield down the road.

But the only way he ends up being truly comparable to any of those names you listed will be after 4 to 6 years of mediocrity or outright failure. It won't be because of 20+ innings in the MLB the year after he was drafted.

Gausman saying he has the stuff to be in the majors but hasn't produced reminds me too much of Arrieta saying he's so close to being great and Matusz, who as a starter kept saying after every lousy start that he was learning and it was always just one or two bad pitches.

Gausman doesn't belong on the current Oriole team. This team is supoosed to be a somewhat serious contender for a playoff spot. It can't afford a pitcher in the rotation who doesn't produce. I still don't understand why management had him skip AAA. At least at Norfolk he would have had to face some guys who had played in the majors.

I realize he was brought up to fill a hole in the rotation, but that hole is still there.

Wow is this are record for getting cut loose???

We are really in trouble if Gausman ends up like Arrieta. I don't think that will happen though. Gausman has much better command already than Arrieta and is 5 years younger.

I still think Jake needs more time and probably could be a good closer. As for Gausman if the expectation was low for the team we could afford him to learn here.

IMO Gausman has too much separation between his FB and off speed stuff. I think batters can recognize the CH and SL at 83 and lay off it sitting on the FB. If the SL was closer to 88-89 they wouldn't be able to do that or if he had perfect command with both SL and CH. He needs to do something about that, in AAA IMO.

Archived