Navarro sent to the Tides

oriolesfan50

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing I can think of is that Buck wasn't a fan of Navarro's defense. He's more willing to be patient with a lousy hitter who fields his position well (Flaherty) than with a decent hitter who struggles in the field (Navarro).

Seems like an awfully short leash on Navarro, though. He only played eight games.

Via twitter: @Orioles: The Orioles have recalled INF Ryan Flahery from Triple-A Norfolk and optioned INF Yamaico Navarro to the Tides.

Why would they make this move?

Because his defense is not major league caliber at second base. Oh, and because Flaherty has been crushing at Norfolk.

Roch adds.

Reliever Pedro Strop was fielding ground balls at shortstop, his old position, before batting practice today. Third base coach Bobby Dickerson was hitting the grounders, with bullpen coach Bill Castro taking the throws at first base.

Strop played catch to loosen his arm before going to shortstop. Pitching coach Rick Adair stood next to him.

The Orioles videotaped the session.

This is pretty weird. There's no "need" involved in the move, it's a pure tinker.

.756 OPS in 34 ABs is not "crushing". He's hitting .265 down there with a couple of home runs. Which could translate to him hitting .200 up here with a couple of home runs, which is exactly what he did.

I dunno about this. Yamaico makes contact.

Cary answered the need. Dude is 6'4 with hops. It helps the pitchers.

This is pretty weird. There's no "need" involved in the move, it's a pure tinker.

.756 OPS in 34 ABs is not "crushing". He's hitting .265 down there with a couple of home runs. Which could translate to him hitting .200 up here with a couple of home runs, which is exactly what he did.

Yeah, I don't get it either. Maybe Yamaico drowns kittens or something. I would much rather see his name in the lineup than Flaherty.

Exactly .286 OBP. I thought DD was trying to emphasis OBP?

Buck has some sort of fixation with Flaherty and I hope it doesn't stop them from acquiring a legitimate second baseman in the future.

Exactly .286 OBP. I thought DD was trying to emphasis OBP?

Buck has some sort of fixation with Flaherty and I hope it doesn't stop them from acquiring a legitimate second baseman in the future.

Buck stuck with Flaherty as a Rule 5 and will love him till proven wrong.I think this move is pure Buck.Also Navarro messed up the tag out on a steal against the Nats. Ball was kicked out of his glove.

Flaherty saves the Sunday game for JJ. He would have caught the liner over second, and probably turned 2 on DeRosa.

Yup...I was thinking the same thing. Flaherty is definitely a better defensive player than either Navarro or Casilla.

Cary answered the need. Dude is 6'4 with hops. It helps the pitchers.

Except that with Flaherty in the lineup you're essentially going by NL rules, with a .100 "hitter" killing the offense.

I strenuously object to this idea that you can carry a flat-out zero bat for months, but a slightly shaky glove gets you demoted after a week. It's management by emotion. Navarro's glove might have cost the team a run or three, while Flaherty's bat was (and may continue to be) over-the-top terrible. His .286 OBP in Norfolk is another indication he's not a MLB hitter.

Archived