Chien-Ming Wang

whynot38

Interest?

From rotoworld

The Orioles are one of several teams keeping tabs on Chien-Ming Wang.

Wang is able to opt out of his contract with the Yankees Friday. He might do so, given that he doesn't appear to be poised for a call-up despite a 2.65 ERA over eight Triple-A starts. The O's would have competition for the right-hander's services.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interest?

From rotoworld

The Orioles are one of several teams keeping tabs on Chien-Ming Wang.

Wang is able to opt out of his contract with the Yankees Friday. He might do so, given that he doesn't appear to be poised for a call-up despite a 2.65 ERA over eight Triple-A starts. The O's would have competition for the right-hander's services.

Wang may certainly be worth a look. He has 55.3% ground ball rate. Batters are hitting .258 off him but have a .075 ISO which means they are not collecting many extra base hits. Sounds like his sinker is back to being effective which works well with our infield defense. Even when Chen returns, he'd be insurance over another injury or could be used in the pen to get key ground balls.

Not entirely against the idea at all.

Maybe if KG bombs again they will give him a look. Not sure who you send down in the meantime though if you have to sign him today. Maybe Patton has a case of lower back pain for awhile.

Wang may certainly be worth a look. He has 55.3% ground ball rate. Batters are hitting .258 off him but have a .075 ISO which means they are not collecting many extra base hits. Sounds like his sinker is back to being effective which works well with our infield defense. Even when Chen returns, he'd be insurance over another injury or could be used in the pen to get key ground balls.

I don't know what the MFY AAA IF defense is like, but I bet it a'int as good as ours. That .258 BAA might not climb at all despite the move from AAA to the ALE.

Per Joel Sherman in the NY Post, Wang's representatives have told the Yankees that the veteran won't exercise his opt-out clause unless he is able to secure a major league deal elsewhere. Sherman spoke to some MLB execs who said it is unlikely Wang would receive a deal from another team.

Per Joel Sherman in the NY Post, Wang's representatives have told the Yankees that the veteran won't exercise his opt-out clause unless he is able to secure a major league deal elsewhere. Sherman spoke to some MLB execs who said it is unlikely Wang would receive a deal from another team.

Or teams are keeping things close to their vest. It would be interesting to hear what the scouting report is on him because the numbers suggest he can have some success in the MLB again.

2.65 ERA, 1.176 WHIP, 9.0 H/9, 0.4 HR/9, 1.6 BB/9, but a scant 4.1 SO/9.

Now...a comeback attempt in 2011 with the Nats yielded similar numbers:

4.04 ERA, 1.283 WHIP, 9.7 H/9, 1.2 HR/9, 1.9 BB/9, 3.6 SO/9

So, he relies on outs through ground/air rather than K's.

I wouldn't expect the world, but that's a decent alternative.

I still don't think Gausman belongs up here unless he learns to throw all 4 of his pitches. He can't live off of throwing the fastball 70% of the time when it's getting hit at a 423 average clip. Yeah, he throws between 93-99. But that doesn't matter if that's all you're throwing. That and I still think he's tipping his pitches.

Archived