Assault at Orioles game sends man to intensive care

Going Underground

I think everyone has had their say. Regardless of where everyone stands on the issue of what he wore, at the end of the day I think we all agree that our hopes and prayers are with this guy. Here's to him having a full recovery!

I agree. And the bottom line is that we all wish him well.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I should have just said my last post on this topic with the prayers, but I have to respond to this...

Which is a damn shame if you ask me.

The victim was antagonized and had a bad experience, but you know what...it happens sometimes in large crowds with people drinking alcohol. Had he not climbed the railing, he would be at home right now complaining about the drunken asses at the game, instead of fighting for his life in the hospital. Once again, I'm not saying this was his "fault" but he certainly shares some blame for escalating things. Not sure how this is the Orioles fault, but again, in our society today, they will pay for it, for sure.

If someone is injured in a bar fight can the bar be held liable for allowing excessive alcohol consumption? Is the stadium responsible for maintaining order among the fans? I don't know. It does seem to me that the ushers were less than diligent in not calling the police when the beer bros persisted after having been warned to keep it down.

I should have just said my last post on this topic with the prayers, but I have to respond to this...

Which is a damn shame if you ask me.

The victim was antagonized and had a bad experience, but you know what...it happens sometimes in large crowds with people drinking alcohol. Had he not climbed the railing, he would be at home right now complaining about the drunken asses at the game, instead of fighting for his life in the hospital. Once again, I'm not saying this was his "fault" but he certainly shares some blame for escalating things. Not sure how this is the Orioles fault, but again, in our society today, they will pay for it, for sure.

I don't think the Orioles will pay but it's not because they don't share some of the responsibility by the employees (ushers) reported response to the situation. Obviously the ushers can't be everywhere (except to tell you to sit down if you cheer too loud :D ), so the Orioles do provide a text number for people to report problems. They only make this announcement once before the game. There needs to be a way to make this more known such as printing it on the back of the tickets like the assumption of risk for batted baseballs and how the Orioles can kick you out as they deem appropriate.

I don't think the Orioles will pay but it's not because they don't share some of the responsibility by the employees (ushers) reported response to the situation. Obviously the ushers can't be everywhere (except to tell you to sit down if you cheer too loud :D ), so the Orioles do provide a text number for people to report problems. They only make this announcement once before the game. There needs to be a way to make this more known such as printing it on the back of the tickets like the assumption of risk for batted baseballs and how the Orioles can kick you out as they deem appropriate.

The "seat Nazi's" absolutely share some blame, but in my line of work, I have to look for the root cause. The ushers were a factor, as was the inactivity of the police, the "blind eye" of the other fans in the area, the beer vendors who kept serving these guys (although, do we have any reports on HOW drunk they were?) and ultimately, yes, the Orioles share some responsibility. But the primary issue here was the 7 inning altercation between the drunks and the victim, and the root cause of the actual injury was that this man climbed a railing to confront the drunks, when he could have just walked away.

To put it another way...this was the dude's second date with this woman, right? Why on a DATE would you put up with something for 2 hours? Why not either contact an usher directly and ask for help, or else cut your losses and leave? (I mean, its common knowledge by now that he's not even an Orioles fan, so he couldn't have been THAT interested in the game to put up with crap for 2 hours.) Why put up with this for 2 hours, on a date mind you, and then finally climb the railing to confront the issue? The drunken idiots are absolutely the antagonizers, but as I've said, the victim is at home getting ready for work (or whatever) right now had he not escalated the issue into a physical confrontation.

To put it another way...this was the dude's second date with this woman, right? Why on a DATE would you put up with something for 2 hours? Why not either contact an usher directly and ask for help, or else cut your losses and leave? (I mean, its common knowledge by now that he's not even an Orioles fan, so he couldn't have been THAT interested in the game to put up with crap for 2 hours.) Why put up with this for 2 hours, on a date mind you, and then finally climb the railing to confront the issue? The drunken idiots are absolutely the antagonizers, but as I've said, the victim is at home getting ready for work (or whatever) right now had he not escalated the issue into a physical confrontation.
In a neutral game, you wear not just any team's hat, but a Yankees hat, into the ballpark, you're inviting someone to heckle you, once. You don't live in this area and not know that. However, my assumption is nobody sits there and just takes it for two hours, there may have been some back and forth which kept the abuse going. Obviously, it was enough to get the ushers there at least one time.

In a neutral game, you wear not just any team's hat, but a Yankees hat, into the ballpark, you're inviting someone to heckle you, once. You don't live in this area and not know that. However, my assumption is nobody sits there and just takes it for two hours, there may have been some back and forth which kept the abuse going. Obviously, it was enough to get the ushers there at least one time.

This is what I'm getting at. I don't think this was a one way street, if you catch my drift.

I have seen four or five fights in the stands. Usually alot of cops come from everywhere. The problem was this guy fell on the concrete before they could break it up. Most of the other fights were grabbing and a couple of punches and security has time to get in by then. Still a tragedy that could have been avoided by throwing out the abusers.

I am not an usher nor do I play one on TV, but if two guys were behaving like jerks, and some one complained to me about them, and had I warned them to turn it down, I would check periodically to see if they had, and if I noticed they hadn't, then I would call security. My guess is the usher said the him/herself "I spoke to them, I did my job. I'm not getting any further involved unless someone complains again" And nobody did? For me the root cause is the behavioral deficiency of the beer bros. I don't think it has anything to do with the wrong colors being interpreted as a F'you, or even the alcohol. They were looking for an excuse to abuse somebody. Why was that? If they hadn't found the guy with the Yankee hat, they would have found someone else.

An attorney for Fleischman, Kurt Nachtman, declined to comment, other than to say that Fleischman is eager to have his day in court to "prove his innocence." He did say, though, that Fleischman, like Fortese, is a Yankees fan.

I guess the lawyer is going to say they are both Yankee fans and????? They still got in a fight and someone got hurt.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/breaking/bs-md-orioles-reaction-20130606,0,655439.story

The "seat Nazi's" absolutely share some blame, but in my line of work, I have to look for the root cause. The ushers were a factor, as was the inactivity of the police, the "blind eye" of the other fans in the area, the beer vendors who kept serving these guys (although, do we have any reports on HOW drunk they were?) and ultimately, yes, the Orioles share some responsibility. But the primary issue here was the 7 inning altercation between the drunks and the victim, and the root cause of the actual injury was that this man climbed a railing to confront the drunks, when he could have just walked away.

I live right outside of Hagerstown and from what I'm hearing the girl was a big Nats fan which is one reason they was at that game on a date. So my guess is they stuck it out to see how her team fared.

you don't even have to call security over; you could text them with the issue. Any one of the fans around them could have as well.

I've done it at ravens game when some people have gotten out of control. Never with me, but I was in the line of fire and did not want a drunk falling over seats into me.

This information/update is from GRIMED 1 from the more recent thread.

Thanks for the update, GRIMED. :)

Bryan Stow is Home after 2 Years

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9384297/san-francisco-giants-fan-bryan-stow-returns-home-2-years

No offense intended, but I think saying "he's home" puts an inaccurate spin on the situation. From the story:

"Bryan requires 24-hour nursing care, but this is not covered by insurance," they wrote. "So we had to hire caregivers in order to help Bryan to get up and showered in the morning, and get dressed and in bed in the evening."

They said that while Stow appears to be doing better, he has memory problems, pain and stiffness.

Stow's family said that due to cuts in therapy coverage, Stow has physically experienced a big setback.

"We do what we can at home, but he needs the five days a week that he grew accustomed to," they wrote. "We just don't know how to get that for him."

Not exactly a rosy-reunion picture they're painting.

No offense intended, but I think saying "he's home" puts an inaccurate spin on the situation. From the story:

Not exactly a rosy-reunion picture they're painting.

OK, but I didn't write the article, or title it.

Thanks for pointing out the pertinent details.

Archived