Portis vs. Turner ...

Fairfax Bird

Boy as a football coach I will tell you many of you are out to lunch. QBs that make bad reads, deliver the ball late, and generally look less than good in practice lose you games in actual games. You play the guy that looks the best in practice period. To say otherwise is crazy talk.

What about when the guy who plays well in practice doesn't on the field, and vice-versa?

I understand where you're coming from, and probably where Freidgen and Franklin are coming from, but as a fan watching the games it just seems insane.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Boy as a football coach I will tell you many of you are out to lunch. QBs that make bad reads, deliver the ball late, and generally look less than good in practice lose you games in actual games. You play the guy that looks the best in practice period. To say otherwise is crazy talk.

You know what else loses games? A guy who stinks whenever he's put in a game.

I'd imagine it's a lot different performing with zippo pressure. And, when you can't take game speed/pressure situations, continually check down too fast, make poor reads, make bad decisions, and stand too long in the pocket...I really don't care what you look like in practice if you've proven time and again that it doesn't translate into game performance.

I'd have to predict that Turner will be starting by Cal. I think he is just a kid that needs that extra fuel for the fire. He WILL be our QB by Cal.

From the Sun...

Friedgen said Turner has been sharper in practice since the starter was named.

"He's had his best practices," Friedgen said. "Kind of shows me something about the kid. If he was going to go in the tank, he would have. He hasn't."

Turner is the better game-day QB, and they will see that in the first game.

What about when the guy who plays well in practice doesn't on the field, and vice-versa?

I understand where you're coming from, and probably where Freidgen and Franklin are coming from, but as a fan watching the games it just seems insane.

I think you will find that there are almost no D1 QBs that play well in games consistantly that do not practice well. The exception to this is the Vick type QB. Superior running ability is something that is rarely allowed to be exploited in practice because of injury concerns and the OC's requirement that the QBs not freelance and stay within thier progressions during practice. Portis is the only guy the Terps have that may have some of these qualities. Honestly Fridge has indicated there is not alot of difference between these guys, unless one of the two really steps up and makes the most of the opportunities they get early in the season I think both will get alot of time to show what they can do. Contrary to what most football fans think the QB is not the most important ingredient in having a successful college offense. I think this is particurly true of this years Terp team. The Terps have a truely great Oline on paper and have three very talented backs. I actually like the backs better than last years bunch. When these are your strengths what you look for in a QB is a guy that does not make mistakes. You do not need a guy that wins games on his own, just don't lose them.

This is not to say that the team would not be better without an elite QB, it sure would, but none of these guys will ever be that. If one can become an O'Brian level guy we will be back near the top of the ACC on the offensive side of the ball IMO.

BTW in this thread there was a comment that practice was a place to "work" on things. That is BS, practice is where you learn to execute a system. At the D1 level(or for that matter any level above HS JV) you "work" on things on your own time. There are severe time restrictions on the amount of time teams can spend on the field currently. Coaches can not spend alot of time dealing with a guy that has not done his work prior to practice and wastes the teams limited time that it has on the practice field. Making incorrect progressions is indicative of not being mentally ready. This in unacceptible for a D1 QB.

I think you will find that there are almost no D1 QBs that play well in games consistantly that do not practice well. The exception to this is the Vick type QB. Superior running ability is something that is rarely allowed to be exploited in practice because of injury concerns and the OC's requirement that the QBs not freelance and stay within thier progressions during practice. Portis is the only guy the Terps have that may have some of these qualities. Honestly Fridge has indicated there is not alot of difference between these guys, unless one of the two really steps up and makes the most of the opportunities they get early in the season I think both will get alot of time to show what they can do. Contrary to what most football fans think the QB is not the most important ingredient in having a successful college offense. I think this is particurly true of this years Terp team. The Terps have a truely great Oline on paper and have three very talented backs. I actually like the backs better than last years bunch. When these are your strengths what you look for in a QB is a guy that does not make mistakes. You do not need a guy that wins games on his own, just don't lose them.

This is not to say that the team would not be better without an elite QB, it sure would, but none of these guys will ever be that. If one can become an O'Brian level guy we will be back near the top of the ACC on the offensive side of the ball IMO.

BTW in this thread there was a comment that practice was a place to "work" on things. That is BS, practice is where you learn to execute a system. At the D1 level(or for that matter any level above HS JV) you "work" on things on your own time. There are severe time restrictions on the amount of time teams can spend on the field currently. Coaches can not spend alot of time dealing with a guy that has not done his work prior to practice and wastes the teams limited time that it has on the practice field. Making incorrect progressions is indicative of not being mentally ready. This in unacceptible for a D1 QB.

But their most talented player on offense (arguably) is a WR. They need to get the ball into his hands and stretch the defenses for the RBs in order to truly have a successful offense.....and in what I witnessed from both QBs last season, Turner was far more effective in doing so.

I do agree with what you said about practices though. Not saying it's the case with anyone on here, but there seems to be a perception amongst many that college teams have an almost infinite amount of time to practice on things and give every player on the depth chart enough snaps to improve. In reality, practice time in college is very precious to coaches. Once the season starts they have time for little else than to implement game plans for the guys they expect to play. That's why making it to bowl games is so important in D-1A.......the trips and TV exposure are great for the program, but the 20 extra practices you get that other teams don't are like gold......it's a "rich getting richer" scenario.

I still believe that this whole QB thing is a message to Turner from Fridge & Franklin to improve his practice habits, and judging from the quote from The Sun he has. If Turner continues that approach, and unless Steffy really shows something in the first two games that we have yet to see from him, then Turner should be the starter by the Cal game.

But their most talented player on offense (arguably) is a WR. They need to get the ball into his hands and stretch the defenses for the RBs in order to truly have a successful offense.....and in what I witnessed from both QBs last season' date=' Turner was far more effective in doing so.

I do agree with what you said about practices though. Not saying it's the case with anyone on here, but there seems to be a perception amongst many that college teams have an almost infinite amount of time to practice on things and give every player on the depth chart enough snaps to improve. In reality, practice time in college is very precious to coaches. Once the season starts they have time for little else than to implement game plans for the guys they expect to play. That's why making it to bowl games is so important in D-1A.......the trips and TV exposure are great for the program, but the 20 extra practices you get that other teams don't are like gold......it's a "rich getting richer" scenario.

I still believe that this whole QB thing is a message to Turner from Fridge & Franklin to improve his practice habits, and judging from the quote from The Sun he has. If Turner continues that approach, and unless Steffy really shows something in the first two games that we have yet to see from him, then Turner should be the starter by the Cal game.[/quote']

Yes we have one of the best WR in country in Bey. However I would argue that his success this year will come from forcing teams to play with 8 in the box. Successful teams expoit thier strength and overall that will be the Oline IMO. Bey will make big plays when defenses (particularly the Safeties) over commit to run support. Bey is not a guy that many teams can afford to not provide help over the top on. Even teams that provide the help have the problem with the help being a step late because of the run.

Your last paragraph is a very good point. Turner has more talent I would agree, but he has been slow on the mental side from what I have heard. While I do not agree it was a pure message. Fridge is going to start the guy that gives the best chance of winning in Fridge's opinion. The effect of making the determination based on the spring and summer surely indicated to Turner that he needed to step it up and apparently he is doing that.

Yes we have one of the best WR in country in Bey. However I would argue that his success this year will come from forcing teams to play with 8 in the box. Successful teams expoit thier strength and overall that will be the Oline IMO. Bey will make big plays when defenses (particularly the Safeties) over commit to run support. Bey is not a guy that many teams can afford to not provide help over the top on. Even teams that provide the help have the problem with the help being a step late because of the run.

Your last paragraph is a very good point. Turner has more talent I would agree, but he has been slow on the mental side from what I have heard. While I do not agree it was a pure message. Fridge is going to start the guy that gives the best chance of winning in Fridge's opinion. The effect of making the determination based on the spring and summer surely indicated to Turner that he needed to step it up and apparently he is doing that.

Steffy has looked terribly slow with the mental aspect of the game when he's been on the field. He seems to immediately check down to close receivers. And, once he checks down to his last option, he likes to stand there and stare at him until the defense closes in. Then, he either rifles a forced throw, runs when there is no where to run, or just get sacked. Playing him over a guy who has shown success seems ludicrous. I think Fridge sees Steffy as his "safety net" for another year of boring offense. I don't see how you can justify not going with a guy who has had success...and a guy who has the big arm to use Heyward-Bey's burning speed. Unless they start playing Heyward-Bey in the slot, Steffy may never even look his way.

To me this whole Steffy situation feels like Joel Statham all over again.

Yes, I get it that practice time is precious. It IS a time to work on execution. However, unlike a game, you get the chance to run plays over, learn from what you didn't execute correctly based off the defense giving you a certain look, a certain blitz, etc. Practices aren't like games where you run a play and its over, you live with whatever the result. It is a time to work and prepare for the next opponent. Anyhoo....enough of debating about what a D1 practice is.

I agree w/the guys on here that say that Chris Turner will be the starter for the Cal game. Some guys are just practice players and just can't do it under pressure. I wish Steffy well but based off his prior experience I'm not optimistic that he can get the ball downfield when needed to our top playmaker.

At this point, I've grown tired of Ralph over the last 4 years. He was the hot coach in the beginning of his tenure... but his inability to make quick personel decisions has a huge impact EVERY season simply because (as someone pointed out) we are still trying to find ourselves in week 3 or 4 when other teams are firing on all cylinders.

Case and point: WVU game last year (and previous years).

IMO, there shouldn't have been ANY QB controversy this year.

None.

Turner stepped in last year and played well.

He led the team to its first bowl appearance in, what, 3 years?

You have to reward this and give him the reigns. It's his job to lose this year when the hits start for real.

Instead, Ralph and his frozen feet allowed a QB controversy to languish until about a week and a half of the pre-season was left. Now we're left with Steffy, who (unless he has radically changed) is slow, injury prone, and has shown little ability to effectively run a college squad over FOUR years. He's a china doll that looks like his legs have been wrapped with packing paper.

This is a majorly disappointing move -- and I'm very disappointed that the Fridge would actually go public with what should be private opinions about Turner and his flaws (at least his flaws in Fridge's eyes). Either Fridge has gotten too big for his britches and tinkers way too much... or our talent situation at College Park is so bleak that every presesaon must be like this (and last 4 or 5 games into the season).

Ralph's spring grade: D-

I feel ya tsand72. Like I said, I wish Steffy well but I too don't like what I've been seeing over the past years. I keep hearing how the teams are more talented than ever but the results aren't there.

When Fridge came aboard we had one of the most innovative, exciting offenses in the nation. The last few years have been painful to watch and yet the talent is supposed to be better. After McBrien, the QB play has been average (at best) while Turner was a pleasant surprise. I'm concerned about Fridge's ability to evaluate QBs and his playcalling. Thankfully the latter seems to have been addressed w/the hiring of Franklin.

This is a big year IMO. We should beat Del, MTSU, EMU. On paper and based on talent, we should lose to Cal, Clemson, VaTech, FSU. Of course, we'll probably steal a game we're not supposed to win and lose one we're not supposed to lose.

I think this is a 7-5, maybe an 8-4 team. A 6-6 year would be extremely disappointing.

I, too, wish nothing bad on Steffy. In fact, I hope he proves everyone wrong and leads the team to 9 or 10 wins. Wouldn't that be great???

I called the post-game show last year and asked Scott McBrien point-blank where that "early-years exciting" Fridge offense had gone. He was very honest and said that he was under the assumption that Ralph didn't have a QB that could run the system. He even admitted that they had to remove a lot of the plays that S. Hill had run so effectively. He didn't say this... but in may ways he was indicating that we simply don't have the talent at the QB position to make it all work.

You are right, however, in spotlighting the fact that Ralph has given up the reigns to a new offensive coordinator. But, I heard Ralph interviewed a few days ago and he said in many ways the new offense will look very similar to last year's -- that it will be hard to tell the two apart.

That's scary.

I harp on the lack of talent... but I thought Turner showed us a lot last year. Big game poise. A decent - not great - but decent arm. And... best of all... he helped guide the team to a post-season game. That, to me, is the bottom line.

Right now, I feel like this team is entering this year at about 70% capacity. That meaning it: It's going to take a few games to get it going.

Let's just hope that Steffy dazzles us in the Del. game and enters week three with the offense putting up big yards.

I don't think that will happen... but I'm totally praying that it will!

Archived