Cliff Lee could take us to the WS

El Gordo

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The real question is "Would Cliff Lee want US".

He has a no trade clause and was not shy about telling everyone how sick he was of moving his family (CLE, PHI, SEA, TEX, PHI again in less than 3 seasons). He said that the no trade clause was a huge aspect to him choosing to sign in Philly.

I would think baltimore would ve close enough. Also, I would think he would want the #1 offense in baseball backing him up every night. Oh and #1 defense

Like most of us, I'd love to get us some Cliff Lee. But... big but... that contract would destabilize the whole "plan"... so I don't see it happening under any circumstances, unless Philly really eats a huge chunk of salary. I don't think they'll have to when the Yankees swoop in with a ridiculous offer at some point.

I'm usually not in favor of mortgaging the future, but it does seem like the O's are at a place in the "success cycle" where they ought to think about going all in. Gausman is probably going to be a front-line starter in the majors, but it's likely to take a couple of years before that happens. If the O's can get a legit front line starter for him, they have to think seriously about it. I would not trade him for Cliff Lee without some substantial salary relief, though.

I sure wouldn't.
Tillman strikes me as a solid mid rotation SP young and cheap. Lee is a bonifide TOR with WS experience and will be for the next two or three years IMO. If the MASN money plus the TV money is what we think it is, Tillman plus cash from Philly could get it done. We came close to trading Tillman for Dickey.

Would a trade of Tillman and Schoop/Arrieta/Britton. get it done? Would it be worth it?

Woah-that will not be necessary for Lee. That might get Lee right now though:)

Tillman isn't going anywhere.

I could see a Britton or Jake and Urrietta and maybe plus 1 and yes of course I would do it. Everyone on this board knows we need at TOR to get anywhere. Look at the Tigers. Look at the top teams and their staffs. We are playing way above our heads. One injury to a bat and we are no longer scoring 10 runs a game.

This team may not make the playoffs, let alone go anywhere without some huge starting pitching help. As most of us know, this should have been addressed last offseason.

Woah-that will not be necessary for Lee. That might get Lee right now though:)

Tillman isn't going anywhere.

I could see a Britton or Jake and Urrietta and maybe plus 1 and yes of course I would do it. Everyone on this board knows we need at TOR to get anywhere. Look at the Tigers. Look at the top teams and their staffs. We are playing way above our heads. One injury to a bat and we are no longer scoring 10 runs a game.

This team may not make the playoffs, let alone go anywhere without some huge starting pitching help. As most of us know, this should have been addressed last offseason.

Tillman is not the SP to take us to the WS any time soon, if ever. Lee could do it this year. Tillman is the kind of return a rebuilding Phillys would consider, and possibly throw in some cash if we sweetened the pot. The question is will we step up the plate, or stay cautious and wait until next year.

Tillman is not the SP to take us to the WS any time soon, if ever. Lee could do it this year. Tillman is the kind of return a rebuilding Phillys would consider, and possibly throw in some cash if we sweetened the pot. The question is will we step up the plate, or stay cautious and wait until next year.

I am not sure what it will take, but I can not think of a better fit than Cliff Lee. Innings eater, durable, TOR, etc.

I think almost everyone here would agree that getting Lee would give Angelos a little bit of respect. Long past due getting an actual respectable starter, but better late than never. It is time to a serious team.

The improvement we would get from replacing Tillman with Lee isn't going to fix the rest of the rotation. We need to replace someone that's struggling, not one that is succeeding.

Archived