What kind of punishment are you expecting for Hammel?

ChaosLex

Idiot. Push your agenda all you want. You're wrong. Diametrically opposed to being CLOSE to right.

No reason to call him a Idiot. Even if he is wrong he's at least trying to explain his thoughts on the matter

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/22338595/jason-hammel-gives-up-three-straight-homers-plunks-next-guy-gets-tossed

This article explains it well.

"My own conspiracy theory is that pitchers do this -- "this" being go to the off-speed stuff -- precisely for purposes of plausible deniability. After all, Hammel's slider checks in at 84.5 miles per hour, which means it's fully capable of leaving a mark."

You can get your frustration out of your system while also being able to deny you meant to hit him. Throwing a fastball is basically admitting you're trying to hurt the guy and asking for a suspension.

Okay, so your argument is that Hammel targeted his head with a slider?

If that's what you honestly believe, fine. I don't think anyone will agree with you because that is very atypical for numerous reasons.

1) How many people target with a slider?

2) What's more believable: Hammel's excellent command of his slider targeted the head or Hammel's erratic command caused the pitch to land near the head?

3) Hammel's prior history with regards to targeting

4) Orioles prior history with regards to targeting (with Buck in command)

Sorry, but your argument has way too many holes in it. To think he then warrants a suspension is totally off-base.

No reason to call him a Idiot. Even if he is wrong he's at least trying to explain his thoughts on the matter

Fair enough. Sorries to AlbionHero. I'm still fired up.

He's still the opposite of correct. And should think about what he posts before he hits "send". Noise on this fine messageboard.

Okay, so your argument is that Hammel targeted his head with a slider?

If that's what you honestly believe, fine. I don't think anyone will agree with you because that is very atypical for numerous reasons.

1) How many people target with a slider?

2) What's more believable: Hammel's excellent command of his slider targeted the head or Hammel's erratic command caused the pitch to land near the head?

3) Hammel's prior history with regards to targeting

4) Orioles prior history with regards to targeting (with Buck in command)

Sorry, but your argument has way too many holes in it. To think he then warrants a suspension is totally off-base.

I understand the control issues. He wasn't anywhere near perfect today, and he threw quite a few pitches no where near where he meant to throw them. But like I said earlier... What do you realistically think the chances are that in a situation like this, he hits a guy near the head by mistake? Nobody ever responded to my post about it being around 0.3%... which, while an estimate, is probably about the chance someone hits a guy in the shoulder/head area with a pitch. Everyone is giving the benefit of the doubt and thinking that this very rare thing happened in this specific situation which means he's innocent.

Even considering his wildness, lets say its a 5% chance he hits a guy in that area given his command today. Thats still a 95% chance it was intentional. You talk about holes in my argument... how do you respond to there being very very little chance of actually hitting a guy in that situation by accident?

Its possible it was unintentional. But its also much more likely it wasn't.

That's an awesome breakdown. Do you have a blog where I can read more of your insights?

Which Hammel is he. The one that saved the pitching staff last week. Or the one who wrecked it this week. Which Verlander was it. The one who pitched today or the one who gave up eight last week.

Trade Hammel- this guy is a complete headcase joke- like all of our pitchers.

DO NOT resign Weiters. Guy can't call a game/hit for anything. Subtraction of these two = more wins.

PERIOD.

:rofl:

Thanks for the laugh! Too easy...

Trade Hammel- this guy is a complete headcase joke- like all of our pitchers.

DO NOT resign Weiters. Guy can't call a game/hit for anything. Subtraction of these two = more wins.

PERIOD.

And just what do you think your going to get for a starter sporting a 5+ ERA?

Archived