What kind of punishment are you expecting for Hammel?

ChaosLex

I don't buy for one minute that Hammel might have hit him on purpose but I still think ejecting him wasn't necessarily such a bad call. At some point maybe you shouldn't leave it up to the manager whether a guy who clearly has no control over his pitches should stay in the game. You're just giving him a free pass to hurt somebody if you continue to let him throw that slop with no control all day.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can you provide me any examples of a pitcher purposefully hitting a batter because they gave up some home runs and they were "mad about their performance?" Who does that? Who has done it? What is the point of such a petty and childish act? It just sounds ridiculous to me.

Jorge Julio...Armando Benitez.

I mean...Hammel definitely wasn't throwing at him, but there are players that have done stupid **** like that in the past.

I don't buy for one minute that Hammel might have hit him on purpose but I still think ejecting him wasn't necessarily such a bad call. At some point maybe you shouldn't leave it up to the manager whether a guy who clearly has no control over his pitches should stay in the game. You're just giving him a free pass to hurt somebody if you continue to let him throw that slop with no control all day.

Are you saying the ump ejected Hammel because he felt like the Orioles needed a new pitcher?

It's not the umpire's job to make pitching changes.

Some of the posts from newbies in this thread make me long for SportsFan and Old#5Fan..........

With my latest infraction... I completely agree. Clueless I's. At least SG saw the big picture. And small picture. 5fan... not so much. :P

What kind of punishment should Hammel get? None.

What kind will he get? A suspension, probably enough to miss a start or two.

MLB does not like us. We mess up their "Yankees vs Red Sox" love fest. Remember what happened last year when Reynolds got tossed against the Tigers. I'm not saying the fix is in, I'm just saying we're not connected with the right people...

Head hunting is what its called when you throw at someones head. Thats the reason he was ejected, since it was in the general range that counts as head hunting.

Are you trying to say that all the intent in the world doesn't matter if its off by 1 inch?

This is silly. If he is going to go for a guys head, he's not going to throw a slider. Use some common sense. He might as well have thrown a knuckleball...same damn difference. If its intentional, he's nailing the dude...not throwing off speed.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/22338595/jason-hammel-gives-up-three-straight-homers-plunks-next-guy-gets-tossed

This article explains it well.

"My own conspiracy theory is that pitchers do this -- "this" being go to the off-speed stuff -- precisely for purposes of plausible deniability. After all, Hammel's slider checks in at 84.5 miles per hour, which means it's fully capable of leaving a mark."

You can get your frustration out of your system while also being able to deny you meant to hit him. Throwing a fastball is basically admitting you're trying to hurt the guy and asking for a suspension.

Wait a second, so you're argument is that Dayn Perry is an idiot too?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Leyland on Hammel: "In my heart, I do not think he was throwing at him.' <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23orioles">#orioles</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23tigers">#tigers</a></p>? Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">June 2, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Well if that is the way Leyland feels then I am fine in letting it go. If the Tigers dont hit one of us tomorrow lets let it go.

Archived