If Chris Davis hits 62?

Trackmaster

Me 3. His story was feasible, but the media pounced on him so forcefully and with such certainty that most just assumed he was 100% guilty.

Count me in that group too. It seems unlikely Raffy comes out so forcefully in Congress if he was using. I always wondered if he was just protecting Tejada.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No. No it doesn't.

Well not only from lower body strength, but it is a major component of bat speed along forearm/wrist and ab strength. The stronger your legs are, the faster you'll be able to twist your body during your swing which will absolutely create better bat speed.

Show me one example of a guy who used PEDs that didn't also see a dramatic increase in his batting average...this argument is tired, time to put it to rest...

Who's talking about batting average? We're talking about plate discipline. His O-Swing% is down about 6%. When you don't chase balls, you get into good hitting counts, which allows you to use your power more effectively.

It's not just plate discipline, though, his swing has also been improved over the years. Go look at tape from when he played for Texas. He swung much harder instead of just letting his natural strength do the work.

The fact is, if he's on PED's now, then he was on PED's for all those years in the minors when he was doing the exact same thing. Now that he's finally adjusted to how ML pitchers try to get him out and perfected his swing, he's doing it again with even better results.

The Raffy comp is apt in one respect. Both increased their HR output by altering their approach. Davis is waiting on the ball more, letting it travel further and chasing less OZ pitches. He is willing to take a BB or settle for a single rather than swinging for the fences with every pitch, like a certain CF. Because of this he is making more contact. Because of his strength he doesn't need to make perfect contact to hit it out.

Chris Davis is started to get pitched too like the pitchers are afraid. EVERYTHING is away. I've watched every AB he's had this series. He's had 2 solid pitches to hit. And they were low. Nothing he could really pull for a homer.

Watch Flaherty come up and he gets 3-4 fat pitches an AB.

Chris Davis is started to get pitched too like the pitchers are afraid. EVERYTHING is away. I've watched every AB he's had this series. He's had 2 solid pitches to hit. And they were low. Nothing he could really pull for a homer.

Watch Flaherty come up and he gets 3-4 fat pitches an AB.

Why pitch to Davis and why not challenge Flaherty?

The opposing pitchers are not stupid.

Why pitch to Davis and why not challenge Flaherty?

The opposing pitchers are not stupid.

Exactly, but what kind of adjustments is Davis going to make? I have never seen an Orioles player that had enough power to scare hitters.

He just picked up a single, but how is the guy going to continue to hit homers if he's getting too much respect? It's a lot easier to hit homers if it's a challenge pitch.

When exactly did/does the Post-PED era begin?
The mid-1880s when Pud Galvin bragged about taking miracle bull balls elixir.
But he also used a supplement: Great green gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts!

If you double check the pertinent facts at the following www.definatelyfullofit.com

You can see that it was 1885. Also this concoction worked well enough that it went through very few changes before it was repackaged for Barry Bonds by the folks at Balco as the Clear and the Cream.

For old Pud, it was just the Clear and the Green. ;)

Of course it does, it's the torque created from the legs and the torso. Ask any hitting coach. Were else does it come from?

OK, I'll ask me, and the many professional hitting instructors that trained me to be a hitter instructor. Bat speed comes from quick wrists, strong forearms, and flexibility. Paul Molitor had an amazingly quick bat...he did not have massive legs...

Exactly, but what kind of adjustments is Davis going to make? I have never seen an Orioles player that had enough power to scare hitters.

He just picked up a single, but how is the guy going to continue to hit homers if he's getting too much respect? It's a lot easier to hit homers if it's a challenge pitch.

I'll take 35 Homers and a .450 OBP. He'll just have to start taking walks.

OK, I'll ask me, and the many professional hitting instructors that trained me to be a hitter instructor. Bat speed comes from quick wrists, strong forearms, and flexibility. Paul Molitor had an amazingly quick bat...he did not have massive legs...

That's another source. They aren't mutually exclusive. Stronger legs does create faster bat speed though.

Archived