Anyone else very excited....

I'm not really that excited. The fact that our first pick comes at # 22 makes it much harder for me to get interested, compared to the years when we know we were getting one of the very top guys. The O's had four picks in the top 100 in 2005 (Snyder, Olson, Reimold, Erbe) and 2006 (Rowell, Beato, Adams, Britton), and even though 6 of those 8 made the majors, they've produced a total of -0.4 WAR.

I do think this is a draft to get excited about especially with the supplemental pick. There is some nice flexibility with this supplemental pick - in terms of the pick itself plus the higher draft pool $.

It appears we will graduate Gausman, but I think the talent in our system is playing up and a higher ranking is ahead given a solid draft and successful international signings.

In the larger picture, GMDD is doing exactly what he said he would - winning at the major league level while improving the minor league talent.

I'm excited for no other reason than it means the short-season clubs are almost ready to start their seasons.

While we did fall on our face in 2005 and 2006, we have a different regime in place and a totally new draft system. We are also at a different place in our franchise's development, so it may alter our approach.

I've really liked what I've read about Jagielo (sic?) out of Notre Dame. If we are indeed on him, a fast-rising third base prospect that could be ready by the time Hardy's contract expires.

I wish the talent was more highly regarded than it is reputed to be in this draft. I hope we go after a little more position talent early this year. We are real thin at catcher, and it would be nice to add an athletic OF who can hit. Ciuffo and Hart are really growing on me and they seem to fit what we need.

I'm not really that excited. The fact that our first pick comes at # 22 makes it much harder for me to get interested, compared to the years when we know we were getting one of the very top guys. The O's had four picks in the top 100 in 2005 (Snyder, Olson, Reimold, Erbe) and 2006 (Rowell, Beato, Adams, Britton), and even though 6 of those 8 made the majors, they've produced a total of -0.4 WAR.

In general I agree. I'm not really excited either but I'm just hoping beyond hope that DD is a better drafter than what we've had in place.

I haven't been keeping up with the draft this year as much as the last two, but I'm absolutely excited and I'll be watching at least the first ten rounds very closely. Extra exciting to not have to tune out for seventy of the most exciting picks, too!

Debbie Downer alert.... warn us like a movie spoiler or something. ;)

In general I agree. I'm not really excited either but I'm just hoping beyond hope that DD is a better drafter than what we've had in place.

To me, once you get past the top few guys, all these guys are just names. They all sound good on paper, but I won't be excited until some of them are on the field and performing well. I wasn't particularly excited about Christian Walker on draft day, but I'm pretty excited now that he's hitting .326/.388/.472 at Frederick.

To me, once you get past the top few guys, all these guys are just names. They all sound good on paper, but I won't be excited until some of them are on the field and performing well. I wasn't particularly excited about Christian Walker on draft day, but I'm pretty excited now that he's hitting .326/.388/.472 at Frederick.

Fresh faces bring fresh hope. That's always how I see it. I don't get "excited" in the sense of expecting these guys to come up and help the big club, but rather in looking at their potential and watching how well they're able to develop and hone it. I like to follow all the top 10 guys, really.

Plus, the top 4 from last year, other than Kline who is hurt, are all off to pretty decent starts. I think having a relatively new drafting and developmental team in place is part of the intrigue.

So while I agree that they're just names that I've never heard of, to me that is part of the appeal.

Fresh faces bring fresh hope. That's always how I see it. I don't get "excited" in the sense of expecting these guys to come up and help the big club, but rather in looking at their potential and watching how well they're able to develop and hone it. I like to follow all the top 10 guys, really.

Plus, the top 4 from last year, other than Kline who is hurt, are all off to pretty decent starts. I think having a relatively new drafting and developmental team in place is part of the intrigue.

So while I agree that they're just names that I've never heard of, to me that is part of the appeal.

For me, I can have opinions on the NBA draft and at least some guys in the NFL draft, but once you're past the top few guys picked I have no idea who these baseball players really are. So, I need for them to start playing pro ball before I have any clue about them. I had never heard of anyone we drafted last year other than Gausman, and that's pretty typical for me. I know some folks follow this more closely.

For me, I can have opinions on the NBA draft and at least some guys in the NFL draft, but once you're past the top few guys picked I have no idea who these baseball players really are. So, I need for them to start playing pro ball before I have any clue about them. I had never heard of anyone we drafted last year other than Gausman, and that's pretty typical for me. I know some folks follow this more closely.

But that's what I mean, not knowing who they are is sort of the appeal for me. Getting to know their backgrounds, reading what other analysts think of them, that sort of stuff. I don't follow amateur baseball at all so I've usually never even heard of the top guys.

But I love hearing reports of those top 5-10 picks, seeing what the O's think of them, where they're placed in short season ball, etc.

Archived