It's past time to move Davis up in the order

gmelson26

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, it isn't.

Not from a statistical standpoint.

From a statistical standpoint it makes little difference for one game. From a match up stand point who knows. From a statistical standpoint over the course of the season, yes Davis should bat #4 not #3.

Buck obviously wants to keep the L-R order and so if you're going to replace Nick in the #3 spot, you might as well use your best hitter there, who happens to bat left-handed. That's all I meant.

Gordo is right, one game it doesn't make a difference.

But...from a statistical standpoint a team's best hitter shouldn't be hitting third.

Jones has a reverse platoon split, his career OPS vs right handed pitching is 105 points higher then against left handed pitching. If you are going L-R then Jones should count as a left handed hitter.

• 2 weeks later...

It really is a good question. Several of buddies and I were discussing this very topic yesterday while having a few adult beverages.

Nobody could come up with a good reason for batting Davis 5th instead of 3rd. The best justification I heard was "Trust Buck." But yeah, I don't understand why he's still batting in the 5 hole.

There's a reason he drives in a ton of runs, and it isn't because he hits behind the bottom of the order.

He's doing just fine (and the Orioles are doing just fine) where he is. Leave him there.

Now that is a fine post.

Why are we batting Chris Davis 5th instead of cleanup or 3rd??

Why would you want to tinker with success? Batting Davis 5th is working just fine. If the guys in front of him start to falter, maybe then you consider moving him up. But so far, that hasn't happened.

Archived