It's past time to move Davis up in the order

gmelson26

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder the same thing sometimes. Like when they pitch around Davis to get to Weiters. I'd rather see jones batting 5th getting pitched around because of his ability to turn a walk into a dbl. While were talking about moving people around in the lineup, how about we bat Manny 3rd because unlike the op I believe Manny is our best hitter and should be getting more rbi opportunities.But hey if its not broke don't fix it!

I trust in Buck!

I would like to see Davis bat 3rd or 4th to get more at bats. I remember the roid-freak Bonds usually batted 3rd, and the other team always had to face him in the 1st. If McLouth and Machado were directly in front of Davis in the lineup, their speed would be even more distracting to the pitcher. I think the threat of the SB is more important that the stolen base (over the whole season). I think that's a big reason most good hitters hit better w/ men on base. Davis batting in front of Jones puts our 2nd best RBI guy behind our best OBP guy. It seems like Davis would score more runs, maybe a few less RBI, but Jones might drive in quite a few more runs.

This is a great discussion, at least we don't have the agony of watching Hardy bat 2nd every night. :cussing:

Personally, if Machado hits a double in the bottom of the 9th and we're down by 2 with 1-2 outs, I'd rather see Davis at the plate then Markakis. This is nothing against Nick, he's one of our better hitters.

Down by two? Obviously youd rather have a HR hitter in that situation. But in a 1 run game id take kakis everytime just because I know he wont strikeout and he has a longer track record of getting crucial hits. I still trust nick more in those situations.

Id love to see davis get more atbats, and more hrs as a result, but hes clearly protecting jones and even kakis and jones 3 spots above him. Pitches are pitching to manny and nick because they absolutely dont want to even get to chris at all. Hes best in the 5 hole because he doesnt need protection behind him, he can walk as well has hit for average.

Honestly detroit would benefit from having miguel batting 4th protecting prince rather than the opposite.

Yeah, I think the lineup as it is now is great. From McLouth in the leadoff spot to Davis in the five hole, our lineup can put a tremendous amount of pressure on a pitcher. I was skeptical that this would work at the beginning of the season but now I wouldn't change a thing. If anything what I might do is bat Hardy sixth and move Wieters down to seventh.

How can anyone say it's good to have your best hitter 5th? Crush is simply crushing the ball! Best OPS in baseball so bat him third.

But with this team, I don't see how you can do that. I'd love to see Nick bat leadoff, but then what do you do with Nate? :confused:

As much as I love Dash Mclouth, I'm starting to think he would be even better for the O's as trade bait. That would open up a spot for Urrutia next year and allow Nick to leadoff and Crush to bat third. Won't happen, but it's probably the only way we'd see Crush batting higher than fifth.

How can anyone say it's good to have your best hitter 5th? Crush is simply crushing the ball! Best OPS in baseball so bat him third.

But with this team, I don't see how you can do that. I'd love to see Nick bat leadoff, but then what do you do with Nate? :confused:

As much as I love Dash Mclouth, I'm starting to think he would be even better for the O's as trade bait. That would open up a spot for Urrutia next year and allow Nick to leadoff and Crush to bat third. Won't happen, but it's probably the only way we'd see Crush batting higher than fifth.

The best hitters should bat first second and fourth. #4, that's where Davis should bat. I'd rather keep McLouth and let him help us get to the play offs this season than wait and hope for Urrutia to maybe do it next year.

I am fine with how our top 5 stacks up. My one nitpick is Adam's patience at the plate. I would like to see him take a few more walks. I know it is game to be aggressive, but I think he could be even better. In my opinion without Davis behind him, I think pitchers would throw him even less strikes.

It is hard to get upset when we are 2nd in the AL in runs scored. Remember in the off-season when we failed to get that MOO bat? :scratchchinhmm:

The best hitters should bat first second and fourth. #4, that's where Davis should bat. I'd rather keep McLouth and let him help us get to the play offs this season than wait and hope for Urrutia to maybe do it next year.

:confused:

I would love to hear the rationale for how the best hitter on your team should bat first, second or fourth but not third.

Historically, the best hitters hit either third or fourth, but I could see a case where your best hitter should bat leadoff. But second is ok and third is not? But at least we can all agree on two things: Davis SHOULD bat higher than 5th, on any OTHER team. It's a nice problem to have.

:confused:

I would love to hear the rationale for how the best hitter on your team should bat first, second or fourth but not third.

Historically, the best hitters hit either third or fourth, but I could see a case where your best hitter should bat leadoff. But second is ok and third is not? But at least we can all agree on two things: Davis SHOULD bat higher than 5th, on any OTHER team. It's a nice problem to have.

I post this more often then scOtt posts Jethro Tull's My God.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2009/3/17/795946/optimizing-your-lineup-by

The Third Spot

The old-school book says to put your best high-average hitter here. The lead-off hitter should already be in scoring position and a hit drives him in. Wham, bam, thank you ma'am.

The Book says the #3 hitter comes to the plate with, on average, fewer runners on base than the #4 or #5 hitters. So why focus on putting a guy who can knock in runs in the #3 spot, when the two spots after him can benefit from it more? Surprisingly, because he comes to bat so often with two outs and no runners on base, the #3 hitter isn't nearly as important as we think. This is a spot to fill after more important spots are taken care of.

Archived