TOR Trade Option - Jake Peavy

Skipjack33

And the upgrade from Chris to Peavy is not even certain.

I could see Tillman pitching a shutout in a playoff game. Hoss.

It may not be, but I like the idea of going into a 7 game series with Peavy, Tillman, Chen, and either Hammel or Gonzalez.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You want to go to the WS this year? Tillman isn't going to get you there. Peavy might. You want too keep waiting until next year when the new cavalry is sure to come, then I have a bridge I'd like to sell you. We have one #2 in Chen, and a bunch of #3's and 4's. We need a true #1.

In that case, if Tillman is the only way to get him, I would say better to try and get Lee cheaper since the Phillies want to dump salary or go after Garza or Gallardo, something along those lines.

I'm convinced that we need to have a solid up-and-down rotation to make the playoffs and compete for a title. We have the offense, we just can't afford for our starters to give up 5+ per game every night out, or even two times per rotation. I trust Tillman and Chen to do that, maybe Garcia (playing the part of Joe Saunders). I want to add to that so we don't have any black holes in the rotation.

I really hope that what we saw with Gausman a couple of nights ago was more real than mirage because that would fix a lot of problems until his innings limit becomes an issue. And I'm also hopeful that Hammel is not ready to fall off a cliff.

Oh well, then all bets are off. That surely negates the rest of his career numbers. :rolleyestf:

Peavy is my favorite to go after as well, but was suffering from back spasms just a couple weeks ago. His previous start wasn't much better than this one.

[TABLE=class: stats_table]

<tbody tabindex="-1">[TR=class: odd]

[TD=class: dg-game_date]05/30/2013[/TD]

[TD=class: dg-opp]@CHC[/TD]

[TD=class: dg-w]0

[/TD]

[TD=class: dg-l]1[/TD]

[TD=class: dg-era]3.62[/TD]

[TD=class: dg-sv]0[/TD]

[TD=class: dg-ip]4.0[/TD]

[TD=class: dg-h]8[/TD]

[TD=class: dg-er]6[/TD]

[TD=class: dg-bb]0[/TD]

[TD=class: dg-so]3

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

His health is one risk that should a pretty big factor when going after him & may help to swing a cheaper deal in our favor.

In that case, if Tillman is the only way to get him, I would say better to try and get Lee cheaper since the Phillies want to dump salary or go after Garza or Gallardo, something along those lines.

I'm convinced that we need to have a solid up-and-down rotation to make the playoffs and compete for a title. We have the offense, we just can't afford for our starters to give up 5+ per game every night out, or even two times per rotation. I trust Tillman and Chen to do that, maybe Garcia (playing the part of Joe Saunders). I want to add to that so we don't have any black holes in the rotation.

I really hope that what we saw with Gausman a couple of nights ago was more real than mirage because that would fix a lot of problems until his innings limit becomes an issue. And I'm also hopeful that Hammel is not ready to fall off a cliff.

I think the only guy you get without giving up Tillman, is Garza. And Peavy >Garza. If we are looking at the WS for 2015-16 then we can hope that Gausman Tillman and Bundy will get us there. But it's not happening this year unless we seriously upgrade. Sure Tillman looked great tonight, against the worst team in baseball, but he was also bailed out by 4 terrific defensive plays. We need a guy who doesn't depend on being bailed out by the offense, the D, or the pen. We don't have one of those.

I think the only guy you get without giving up Tillman, is Garza. And Peavy >Garza. If we are looking at the WS for 2015-16 then we can hope that Gausman Tillman and Bundy will get us there. But it's not happening this year unless we seriously upgrade. Sure Tillman looked great tonight, against the worst team in baseball, but he was also bailed out by 4 terrific defensive plays. We need a guy who doesn't depend on being bailed out by the offense, the D, or the pen. We don't have one of those.

I don't disagree, believe me. I just view Peavy for Tillman as more of an incremental improvement and not the drastic one that is necessary to make a deep run.

We need a guy who doesn't depend on being bailed out by the offense, the D, or the pen. We don't have one of those.

Gordo at his best here. Just a few posts earlier you pounce on someone crying SSS with one game's worth of performance but then use the circumstances from one game to suggest that Tillman will ALWAYS need to be bailed out by the defense.

Gordo at his best here. Just a few posts earlier you pounce on someone crying SSS with one game's worth of performance but then use the circumstances from one game to suggest that Tillman will ALWAYS need to be bailed out by the defense.
I just haven't seen anything form Tillman that says he will be nothing better than a #2 SP and not likely this year. That doesn't mean I don't think he would be very nice piece in our rotation. Just not someone who can take us to the WS. If we can trade him for someone who can, we should do it. If Peavy is indeed seriously injured then he is not the answer either. The bottom line is we don't have anyone who will be the answer this year.

I just haven't seen anything form Tillman that says he will be nothing better than a #2 SP and not likely this year. That doesn't mean I don't think he would be very nice piece in our rotation. Just not someone who can take us to the WS. If we can trade him for someone who can, we should do it. If Peavy is indeed seriously injured then he is not the answer either. The bottom line is we don't have anyone who will be the answer this year.

So you trade Tillman, and our rotation ends up being:

Peavy, Hammel, Garcia, Gonzalez, Gausman

And when Chen comes back:

Peavy, Hammel, Chen, Gonzalez, Gausman

2 question marks in Hammel and Gausman. An injury prone starter in Peavy.

So you trade Tillman, and our rotation ends up being:

Peavy, Hammel, Garcia, Gonzalez, Gausman

And when Chen comes back:

Peavy, Hammel, Chen, Gonzalez, Gausman

2 question marks in Hammel and Gausman. An injury prone starter in Peavy.

Obviously you do your due diligence on Peavy 's injury situation. The point is we don't have what we need to be a serious WS contender unless we seriously upgrade our rotation. Tillman is our best trading piece, not named Bundy, Gausman, or Machado. Do you seriously think Tillman can be the guy taking the ball in the first game of the WS this season. I don't. In fact we don't have anybody who can IMO. So we can do one of two things, stand pat an pray for the best, or be aggressive, proactive, and take a gamble. Never any guarantees.

But if you trade Tillman, you aren't really adding that much. You're basically flipping your most reliable starter (until Chen gets back, maybe) for a slightly better, less reliable starter (from an injury standpoint.)

I think maybe you go Schoop and Arrieta or Britton if that gets it done.

Personally, I'd rather stand pat since Schoop is our second baseman of the future, a position that has been a carousel since Roberts started getting hurt.

This. Theres no way you trade your current #1 pitcher for another pitcher. Thats just insane, and peavy is not even in the ballpark of being worth giving up gausman or bundy. Im not entirely sure who we would give up for peavy. I personally would like to see arrieta and britton moved but that would have to be a national league team. They, for the most part, are proven failures in the AL (arrieta moreso).

Matt Garza would be a guy we could possibly acquire with our current situation. That or angelos opens up his wallet and takes a salary dump player like cliff lee. But it looks like domonic brown is keeping the phillies in contention.

Obviously you do your due diligence on Peavy 's injury situation. The point is we don't have what we need to be a serious WS contender unless we seriously upgrade our rotation. Tillman is our best trading piece, not named Bundy, Gausman, or Machado. Do you seriously think Tillman can be the guy taking the ball in the first game of the WS this season. I don't. In fact we don't have anybody who can IMO. So we can do one of two things, stand pat an pray for the best, or be aggressive, proactive, and take a gamble. Never any guarantees.

Honestly, if gausman makes the right adjustments, like hes done after his first few starts of every professional level is played on, he could easily be that guy.he has the stuff, and command, he just needs to pitch more and not throw. Thats what he did against the tigers and he looked great.

But if its game 1 of the WS, out of our current rotation (excluding injuries) im starting chen. Him and gonzalez give me the most confidence. So I guess it would also come down to who we are playing. If its lefty heavy, then chen. If not, gonzalez. No matter what, miguel always keeps us in games.

Bottomline is, tillman has shown flashes of Ace-quality pitching. He needs ro be more economical with his pitches and stop racking up the pitch count. If he can do that then he will be better than peavy. His outright performance + his potential far outwiegh what you get with peavy.

Honestly, if gausman makes the right adjustments, like hes done after his first few starts of every professional level is played on, he could easily be that guy.he has the stuff, and command, he just needs to pitch more and not throw. Thats what he did against the tigers and he looked great.

But if its game 1 of the WS, out of our current rotation (excluding injuries) im starting chen. Him and gonzalez give me the most confidence. So I guess it would also come down to who we are playing. If its lefty heavy, then chen. If not, gonzalez. No matter what, miguel always keeps us in games.

Bottomline is, tillman has shown flashes of Ace-quality pitching. He needs ro be more economical with his pitches and stop racking up the pitch count. If he can do that then he will be better than peavy. His outright performance + his potential far outwiegh what you get with peavy.

I like Chen, but assuming he's healthy and back to form, which I don't, I don't give him the ball in the first G of the WS. And as for Gausman; a guy out of college with a couple of months is AA, and he's ready to take that ball? What are you smoking?

Do not trade Tillman for anyone over the age of 33 or making over 10 mil+ a year.

It's just idiotic. I can't even believe this even remotely being considered, it's laughably dumb.

When Tillman is on, he's the best pitcher on this team right now.

He wasn't even particularly sharp tonight and he still went 7 and gave up 1.

But yeah let's trade him for an older, more expensive, moderately more talented but much more injury prone question mark like peavy. Brilliant.

Lets trade Davis while we are at it, his value will never be higher! Maybe we can get a-rod for him!!!

Do not trade Tillman for anyone over the age of 33 or making over 10 mil+ a year.

+1. This is part of basic roster management, imo. Tillman may not be totally established and does have things to improve on, but look at his stats for the O's last season and this season. He's a keeper, and he's cheap.

Archived