2013 non-Orioles related draft talk

Well, Appel grew up in Houston until he was 12, and so long as he gets more money than he would have gotten last year, Boras will look at it as the right decision. What is scary is that he could have been in the Pirates system, which is suddenly loaded with arms.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>BREAKING: RHP Mark Appel out of Stanford goes no. 1 overall in the Draft to the @<a href="https://twitter.com/astros">astros</a>.</p>— FOX Sports: MLB (@MLBONFOX) <a href="
">June 6, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Will be interesting to hear Houston's rationale behind selecting Appel. I read an article that made a good point that Houston should draft someone who will take two to three years to develop so that the player is being called up when Houston is ready to compete. Assuming no injuries, Appel will be pitching two to three or more years for a non contending Astros team.

Will be interesting to hear Houston's rationale behind selecting Appel. I read an article that made a good point that Houston should draft someone who will take two to three years to develop so that the player is being called up when Houston is ready to compete. Assuming no injuries, Appel will be pitching two to three or more years for a non contending Astros team.

I would think that anyone that takes 2-3 years would be too high a bust risk.

In other news, Steward does go #4.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>DRAFT: The @<a href="https://twitter.com/indians">indians</a> take high school OF Clint Frazier out of Loganville, GA, with the 5th pick.</p>— FOX Sports: MLB (@MLBONFOX) <a href="

3rd base? When I saw him and his friend on TV they were calling them outfielders.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Miami just took UNCs Colin Moran with 6th pick. He is the nephew of former Oriole and 1985 overall No.1 pick BJ Surhoff.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

There goes Matt Hobgood or wait that was Hunter Dozier. If i am KC fan i am pissed owner still being cheap because they spent some money and though they would compete and increase attendance but it does not look that way so far.

I actually like Dozier and though about him with our pick at 37 but nowhere near 8.

There goes Matt Hobgood or wait that was Hunter Dozier. If i am KC fan i am pissed owner still being cheap because they spent some money and though they would compete and inccrease attendance but it does not look that way so far.

He was a huge reach at #8 but I bet they use the 1.5 million or so they save on him down the line.

I do see the parallel with Hobgood, weak draft, try to spread the money around.

Will be interesting to see what they do at #34.

He was a huge reach at #8 but I bet they use the 1.5 million or so they save on him down the line.

I do see the parallel with Hobgood, weak draft, try to spread the money around.

Will be interesting to see what they do at #34.

If i am his agent i am saying well he went 8th we want 8th slot money since that is where he went. I get saving the money to a point but I would rather have the guy i wanted at 8 and not have to wait and hope some guy falls to 34.

If i am his agent i am saying well he went 8th we want 8th slot money since that is where he went. I get saving the money to a point but I would rather have the guy i wanted at 8 and not have to wait and hope some guy falls to 34.

They may have already made a deal him.

Also, as his "adviser" you might be best served to tell him he is an end of the first round talent (generously) and that he likely won't get 1.5 million if he re-enters the draft.

He didn't sign with the Pirates because of the money.

Unless you heard something I didn't hear...

Not anything definitive. Just the feeling I got during his interviews. Seemed to me he didn't want to play for Pittsburgh, a Stanford degree is nothing to scoff at though.

We saved money on Matt and then look at the rest of the guys we got not one guy in the majors. If we just spent the money and got another guy at be a huge part of our team now. As bad as Rowell was I still am not upset with that pick he was on the top of many draft boards he just didn't work out. Matt was nowhere on a board which is why i did not like that pick at all. I can live with a guy picked and was high on all boards and he not pan out but going cheap and the guy not do much irks me. I still hope Matt turns out good but just the risk is no high for me.

KC would let him walk then. In the end, he will get equal to or slightly more than he would have gotten if he were drafted in his appropriate slot. It is easy to give slightly more and sell it as a win/win.

For adderal. Who cares? I just can't stand guys who turn down huge amounts of money. I always root against these guys.

I can't blame the kid for staying to finish his degree, though. Especially from a school like Stanford. Say he does become a bust, he'll be a LOT happier with that gleaming new piece of paper than he would be emptyhanded with 20 some credits to go..

Archived