Has Jim Johnson fully regained your confidence?

Frobby

Never once lost it. ;)

Never.

Once. Not even live.

Everyone here needs some of your chill "pills" ScOtt.

I thought he caught some bad luck I the Padres game that messed with his confidence and head. Jim got the ground balls from the Pads bats, they jus found holes.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to remind everyone, JJ had two weeks in July last year when he had an ERA over 18.00 in 8 appearances, then pitched to a 0.36 ERA for the rest of the regular season. He's a guy who is vulnerable if he loses command for a while, but he also can get in a groove that lasts for months. I don't think he's all the way back in the groove yet, but hopefully he's getting there.

We've become spoiled in such a short time. I hear Gregg, Simon, and Ray are still available.

I thought of that also, although Gregg's numbers have been unexpectedly exceptional for the Cubs so far this season.

A 2-0 record with 6 saves, a 1.08 E.R.A., and a 1.020 W.H.I.P.

His walks are still high, though (7 walks in 16.67 innings pitched.)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/greggke01.shtml

Well, you're foolish then. JJ didn't even pitch poorly against the Yankees. Look atthe box scores. He pitched very well with the exception of game 1 which consisted of two mistakes, one of which was to a great hitter who hits everybody (Cano). He saved two tight games and kept another alive.

I'm amazed at the degree of perfection people seem to expect from their closer. JJ had a once-in-a-career kind of season last year. There's a lot of room for him to be worse than last year and still be above average as a closer (87%+ would be above average; JJ is at 83% right now in 2013; I'll bet on JJ to get back up to 87%+ before the year ends).

Well, you're foolish then. JJ didn't even pitch poorly against the Yankees. Look atthe box scores. He pitched very well with the exception of game 1 which consisted of two mistakes, one of which was to a great hitter who hits everybody (Cano). He saved two tight games and kept another alive.

Fine, then consider me foolish. I really don't care, all I know is I wanted that series more than I wanted my life. So I am never going to look at Johnson the same after that. He didn't come through when I needed him most.

Johnson is a pitcher. I don't care if he starts, long relieves, middle relieves, sets up, closes, mops up, whatever. His job is to throw up zeros. He hasn't done that.

Then half the pitchers across the world needs to be fired, because nobody, and I do mean nobody, does nothing but throws up zero's.

Archived