Day 2 Targets and strategy

Most of posting weren't expecting two HS players at 22 and 37. We definitely did not anticipate three HS players, including a catcher that wasn't one of the top names floated by draft writers.

Our next pick is No. 98 overall.

According the MLB.com Draft Tracker, these are the next 15 best available.

Jon Denney, HS C

Bobby Wahl, Ole Miss RHP

Ryan Boldt, HS CF

Andrew Mitchell, TCU RHP

Kyle Serrano, HS RHP

Chris Okey, HS C

Connor Jones, HS RHP

Cord Sandberg, HS CF

Cavan Biggio, HS 2B

Michael Wagner, San Diego RHP

Dustin Driver, HS RHP

Garrett Williams, HS LHP

Andy McGuire, James Madison SS

JaCoby Jones, LSU 2B

Stephen Tarpley, CC LHP

The rest of the list

I'm sure some people would love to see another Jacoby Jones in Baltimore.

Most of posting weren't expecting two HS players at 22 and 37. We definitely did not anticipate three HS players, including a catcher that wasn't one of the top names floated by draft writers.

Our next pick is No. 98 overall.

According the MLB.com Draft Tracker, these are the next 15 best available.

Jon Denney, HS C

Bobby Wahl, Ole Miss RHP

Ryan Boldt, HS CF

Andrew Mitchell, TCU RHP

Kyle Serrano, HS RHP

Chris Okey, HS C

Connor Jones, HS RHP

Cord Sandberg, HS CF

Cavan Biggio, HS 2B

Michael Wagner, San Diego RHP

Dustin Driver, HS RHP

Garrett Williams, HS LHP

Andy McGuire, James Madison SS

JaCoby Jones, LSU 2B

Stephen Tarpley, CC LHP

The rest of the list

I'm sure some people would love to see another Jacoby Jones in Baltimore.

I would like to see us take Biggio as we are thin on two baggers, but I see us taking pitching in 5 of the next 7 selections.

I thought last year's draft was really good but so far this one reeks of Joe Jordan a little bit. I really like the Harvey pick, and I can even get down with Sisco if they like his bat, but Hart just feels like a bench player at best. Not sure I understand that one.

Great analysis. Agreed. I don't miss Joe Jordan and I am tired of even hearing the words "raw" or "toolsy".

Has ManRam's son been drafted yet? I'd like us to get in on him sometime.

I had no idea he was in the draft? Where is he projected?

Edit-good info here:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2013/06/06/sons-of-former-mlb-all-stars-to-be-drafted/2395331/

Manny Ramirez's son sounds like a late rounder.

Biggio at the 2nd would be awesome and doesn't sound like a reach at all.

Andy Petit's son too, but not top pick.

How about Kacy Clemens? I would take him in a hearbeat. Clemens was one of the best pitchers of all time despite the steroids and him being a jerk off. I would definitely roll the dice with that one. That would be awesome to get him!

Great analysis. Agreed. I don't miss Joe Jordan and I am tired of even hearing the words "raw" or "toolsy".

Raw and toolsy is not always bad. Adam Jones was very raw and toolsy. But obviously you need to have a staff to develop them. DD says that is his bread and butter. We shall see.

Nick Faleris' chat on BP's website suggested that Sisco may have been a signability pick to free up money to take someone overslot on day 2. Harvey may also be someone who the O's could save some money on given the lack of a college committement (even though he wasn't a reach pick).

Raw and toolsy is not always bad. Adam Jones was very raw and toolsy. But obviously you need to have a staff to develop them. DD says that is his bread and butter. We shall see.

It isn't DD I doubt....

Peter Angelos was said to be very raw and toolsy as I owner I believe:)

Gotta think they go a bit college heavy over th next few rounds as any high upside HS kid probably will prefer to goto college rather than take slot from the 4th round on. Maybe a 3rd round guy, but expect to start seeing a run on college players.

Archived