2013 Orioles 3rd Round Draft Pick - Stephan Tarpley - LHP - Scottsdale Community College

“The stuff has been really good,” Scottsdale head coach Alex Cherney said. “I was told his fastball was 91-94 (mph) the other day. His command has been OK. It could always get a little bit better, but he’s pitched well so far. Obvioulsy we expect him to get a little bit sharper as the season goes along, especially with his command, but so far he’s been as advertised.”

Cherney said Tarpley’s curveball has been really sharp with good depth to it. He uses a slider, mostly against lefthanders, and his changeup is also coming along nicely.

But it’s not just Tarpley’s ability on the mound that has Cherney excited.

“Stephen is a great teammate,” he said. “When he comes to the ballpark, he always has a smile on his face and when it’s his turn to pitch, he’s always ready. He’s a high-energy guy.

Head Coach Alex Cherney

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>When signed, O's expected to send 3rd-round pick, LHP Stephen Tarpley to Aberdeen.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">June 8, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/ved45">ved45</a> They see him as a starter.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">June 8, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Makes sense. You don't draft a guy in the third round if you don't think he can start. At least not any more. We don't talk about Matt Anderson, Craig Hansen, or Josh Fields. Also, you don't take a guy as projectable as Tarpley and stick him in the bullpen right away.

Makes sense. You don't draft a guy in the third round if you don't think he can start. At least not any more. We don't talk about Matt Anderson, Craig Hansen, or Josh Fields. Also, you don't take a guy as projectable as Tarpley and stick him in the bullpen right away.

Eh.

If I could get a college arm for under slot that I though had a good chance of helping in the MLB Bullpen the season after he was drafted I would consider pulling the trigger.

Eh.

If I could get a college arm for under slot that I though had a good chance of helping in the MLB Bullpen the season after he was drafted I would consider pulling the trigger.

Gary Rajsich:

"We think he's a left-hander with tremendous upside. We like him as a future starter that can really hold down a spot in our rotation. He's got a live, quick arm and a pretty good delivery that needs a few minor adjustments. But he's got a live, hard fastball, he throws a curve and a slider and he's got good feel for a changeup."

Archived