5th Round Pick - Travis Seabrooke, LHP - Crestwood SS (Canada)

6'05" 197lbs DOB: 09/16/95

Canada's crop of Draft talent this year isn't terribly deep, but Seabrooke stands out among that pool as a lefty with a high ceilng. At 6-foot-5, 182 pounds, Seabrooke is athletic and very projectable. His fastball will sit around 90 mph but has great downward plane and should see an uptick in velocity as he fills out. He has also shown good feel for his curveball, which has the potential to be an above-average offering down the line. His changeup lags behind the other two offerings but could become average in the future as he learns to use it more A team that takes Seabrooke will be gambling on his upside and that he can fulfill his potential in the long-term. Commitment to Boston College.

Perfect Game Profile

Article

Tony's Initial Take: Tall left-handed projectable lefty who wants to play in the pros. What's not to like in the 5th round? Sound a bit like the Scott Rice pick back in 1999. He pitched for the U18 Team Canada squad and was impressive according to several scouts. He really pitches in the 87-89 range but with a projectable frame, the hope is there is more velocity to come. Looking at the video of him last fall, he'll need some work on his mechanics

I hope he works out better than the last tall Canadian pitcher the O's signed.

Haha...I was thinking the same thing.

With that being said, I like this pick. I don't have any special insight, I just like what I am reading.

Five years ago, Brett Lawrie made his mark in the Dominican Republic.

Lawrie hit five homers for Canadian junior team in a doubleheader off five 90-mph fastballs. Milwaukee Brewers scout Tom McNamara was there and Lawrie moved into first-round status.

Travis Seabrooke didn’t hit any homers, but his draft status took a leap forward last month in the same locale.

More than once this week, a scouting director has told us “our Latin America scout phoned in and said that the best pitcher on the island last month was the tall lefty from Canada.”

After a week busing from between major-league complexes the juniors moved into the capital of Santo Domingo.

“The fans seemed a lot more excited. It was a more intense atmosphere than our guys had seen before, pretty electric,” said Seabrooke on Wednesday of the crowd he estimated at 1,000.

The 6-foot-5 Seabrooke fanned seven in five scoreless at Estadio Quisqueya, facing the best the Dominican high schoolers eligible to sign after June 1.

Seabrooke has signed a letter of intent to attend Boston College.

“When I began playing I didn’t want to grow up to pitch college ball, I wanted to pitch in the pros,” said Seabrooke. “There’s a very good chance of signing, but to get an education and play in the ACC (Atlantic Coast Conference) is appealing too.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/06/05/canadian-lefty-has-right-stuff-for-draft

Would you consider a guy like Walker from last year a low risk guy? Seems like they front-loaded the system with that draft and now they're back-loading it.

I guess so. I know DD is a development guy, but I'm gun shy based on the last 15 years.

17 years old. A year younger than a lot of HS guys. Of course, so was Scott Rice back in the day. The theme seems to be YOUNG.

Hopefully, he takes fewer years to make it to the majors. Congrats to Scott Rice for his perseverance.

There sure are a lot of high risk, project able picks so far. Haven't seen a low risk guy yet.

From reading most of the analysts, doesn't seem like this year's draft offered a lot of low risk guys. Appears to be a very weak draft.

I know Fred Ferreira is our international guy but I doubt he has anything to do with scouting Canada's amateur talent.

I think this may still be the guy.

Ted Lekas, the O's amateur scout that was assigned to cover New England and eastern Canada, is leaving the organization to get back into pro scouting. He has been replaced by Kirk Fredrikson who will handle New England, New York and parts of Canada for the club.

Since 1996, Fredrikson has worked with the New England Collegiate Baseball League, a college summer league, where he met Dan Duquette. The 47-year-old Fredrikson, who began his new position on Nov. 1, recruited players to play in the league. His biggest addition for the NECBL was when he recruited Stephen Strasburg to pitch for the Torrington Twisters. Fredrikson, whose coverage area includes six states, has also previously worked as an associate scout for the Angels.

I think this may still be the guy.

Why would it be Ted Lekas? The article specifically states that multiple scouting directors said "our Latin American scout" said the best pitcher in the DR was Seabrooke. Not sure if it was FredF, but it sounds like it is significantly more likely that it was FredF than a Canadian scout.

That Seabrooke is young for the senior class and is so projectable makes him a very good fifth round gamble, IMO.

Why would it be Ted Lekas? The article specifically states that multiple scouting directors said "our Latin American scout" said the best pitcher in the DR was Seabrooke. Not sure if it was FredF, but it sounds like it is significantly more likely that it was FredF than a Canadian scout.

That Seabrooke is young for the senior class and is so projectable makes him a very good fifth round gamble, IMO.

Well then. I am sure you are right. I thought the question of who had scouted his area was in question. Not where he made a positive impression to everyone.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_jUILQ7eoY8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seabrooke is the son of Glen Seabrooke, who played parts of three seasons with the Philadelphia Flyers after being selected 21st overall in the 1987 NHL Draft.

Archived